Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Greenwood Corvette Sport Wagon
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Classifieds
trackbird
We stuffed my car in storage and tore into 92Voodoo's Mustang a few months back (we may have it running this weekend). During that project, I started another project for my neighbor. We were doing a rebuild/freshening of a 1976 Greenwood Corvette with the Sport Wagon conversion and an aftermarket nose that I haven't seen on any of these conversions before. Racerdad916, 92 Voodoo and I have logged a million hours rebuilding and replacing everything on this car. We've been freshening it mechanically. The list (as I remember):

New:

Master cylinder
stainless steel brake "hard lines"
brake hoses
calipers
pads
rear rotors
350 GM crate motor
headers
side pipes
electric fan
Chrome alternator
Carb
Air cleaner
Valve Covers
Distributor
Water pump
Trans cooler lines

Rebuilt:

Turbo 350 transmission
Torque converter

Clean and recharge the AC system and convert to R134, paint all of the engine accessory brackets, clean, chrome and tidy things where possible/needed, etc and so on.

We have a few things left to tidy up under the hood, but here's a few pics for those who have never seen one (and not many people have).
trackbird
If anybody knows the right collector, this car is for sale. My neighbor passed away just as I was about to finish it and she is finally ready to part with it. The engine is new and the transmission was rebuilt while it was apart. It has about 50 miles on it and maybe an hour or two of total run time (break in and a brief drive). We put $7500 in it with the crate motor and all the upgrades. It's one of about 24 kits sold in the US. It's not for everybody, but it is an interesting piece of history.

I believe she's asking around $21k. (give or take a bit, but that should be close).
mr.beachcomber
Basically, someone has grafted a customized '80-'82 front section on to the '76. The headlight conversion was popular back in the early '80's usually with an outer plexiglass cover, but the fender louvers make me think that this might be a Greenwood creation. (Most of his custom fiberglass had functionality on road courses.)
trackbird
QUOTE (mr.beachcomber @ Feb 9 2017, 08:52 AM) *
Basically, someone has grafted a customized '80-'82 front section on to the '76. The headlight conversion was popular back in the early '80's usually with an outer plexiglass cover, but the fender louvers make me think that this might be a Greenwood creation. (Most of his custom fiberglass had functionality on road courses.)

I emailed Ecklers (or one of the others) who sold these kits and had an email stating that the nose was not part of the Greenwood Sportwagon conversion kit. This was supported by several other Greenwoods that I've seen without that nose. I think someone built this car and went a "step beyond". The nose appears to be one piece, or someone did an amazing job of joining the sections. That makes me think it would have been truck freight as a large assembly. But I have trouble believing that. The headlights stand a bit above the line of the nose. So they couldn't have the usual flat plexi covers. I don't know if they said if the nose was Greenwood parts or someone else and I don't know that they knew. The wheels are marked Carroll Shelby (and "CSS") on the center caps. I've never seen Shelby wheels in person before this.

There was a book on Corvettes given to my neighbor (I don't remember if it was Greenwood specific) that had a picture of this car in it. He loved this thing. I drove it to get gas and had three people ask for pics while I was filling up. The gas station is 600 yards from my neighborhood. It was like driving the batmobile. The attention it receives is a bit shocking.

As I was about 2 days from having this engine swap drivable/finished, my neighbor died of a heart attack. He would call me over everyday when I came home from work and show me something (usually chrome) in the Jegs catalog and ask "do they make that for my car?". I'd circle the part number that would fit this project and the next day or two he'd have it to show me. He was so excited to see this car go together. I had 500 hours involved between daily consultations and actual work. It was really tough to finish it once he passed. I took a week or two off and then fabbed up the exhaust. We broke it in and test drove it. I start it to circulate oil every so often, but it really needs to go to a home that will enjoy it.
SuperMacGuy
Maybe Lance at Carlisle Productions would have interest or know some people (he knows a lot of ppl). ?
trackbird
QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ Feb 9 2017, 12:37 PM) *
Maybe Lance at Carlisle Productions would have interest or know some people (he knows a lot of ppl). ?

I'm not familiar with him. I'm guessing he's involved with the Corvettes at Carlisle event? (That's about an hour from my parents house).
SuperMacGuy
Yeah Lance is the owner of Carlisle. So, I'm involved in the group CorvetteDNA. The owner, Paul, knows Lance reasonably well. We'd like to know more about this car, just for posterity and Corvette lineage. We might be able to help sell it, we could promote it on our Facebook or something. Is there any possibility of getting some additional photos? You can PM me, I'll send you my direct email.
trackbird
I remember taking more photos in the driveway one day when we had it out. I have to see if I still have them. I'm sure my neighbor has some, or I can get some as needed. Just need the driveways to dry out enough to pull it outside and not slide down to the street. I'll keep you posted on the photos.
trackbird
Here are a couple pics my neighbor had. I'm looking for some others. The car isn't real easy to drag out for pics right now (though I will for anybody seriously interested).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.