Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So ... you think you are a "car guy" ...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
mitchntx
http://www.americantorque.com/game/car-show-50s/

Be honest and post the results.

78% dry.gif
dailydriver
79% sad.gif

Even though I am pushing 57 years on this here globe, and was a dedicated car nut from an early age, my 'expertise' did not really start until at least the mid-60s models. wink.gif
Steve91T
73%.....ugh. That was hard. I've never even heard of a couple of those names. I think Studebaker was the only one I could pick out with no problem. That's probably from growing up with "Home Improvement".

I do wish cars looked like they did in the 50s. You can really see the passion manufacturers put into cars.
Shortcutsleeping
Oh no...

Name the test what it actually is.

Are you a 50's car guy?

I got 42% right with a lot of guessing....and I'm still confident I'm a 'car guy', and I'm completely ok with not being an 'old car guy'.

smile.gif

Costas
cars and such...
mitchntx
LOL @ Costas ... its about roots ... wink.gif

The Chrysler products kicked my ass.
Major_Lee_Slow
Gotta 67, mostly from guessing
StanIROCZ
that tested sucked and I quit

QUOTE (Shortcutsleeping @ Jan 19 2012, 07:04 PM) *
Oh no...

Name the test what it actually is.

Are you a 50's car guy?

amen to that drink.gif
Chris
85...with lots of guessing. I was surprised I got as many right as I did.
srfddc
85%
roadracerwhite
81%
dopy
71%
CrashTestDummy
77% Identifying which car is which was not as big a problem as what car was what year.
jensend
96% Must be older than I realize. Was car crazy as a kid in the 50s.
BPWilliams
71%
slowTA
53%, I think we can sort everyone by score and come up with a good idea of who is older/younger.

Did anyone else notice a few thirdgens in the background?
roy
77%
cone killer 1le
96%...

Guess I'm a car nerd....

I remember seeing a bunch of these in the mid to late seventies...
ninetres
60%.

Show me a test about 98-2002 camaros and ill show you 110% smile.gif
Cr0usEEE
75%...not bad I guess for being only 28???
Blainefab
I got 73% I was on a roll for a while, got tripped up on the real early stuff.

Mopar, Ford and Chevy are easy, boy there were some ugly oddball cars made back then.

The first time I was 100mph was early 60's with my dad in a hemi DeSoto, taking the car up to grandpas farm to retire it. Brought home a 49 Chrysler New Yorker with a straight 8.

I was riding with my mom in a 57 Plymouth, RF LBJ let go, wheel flopped over and ripped the brake line off - we were on a 4 lane divided so were probably going 65mph - she just calmly let it slow down and guided it onto the shoulder. I remember watching the shower of sparks behind us.

I don't miss the old cars at all.
Pablo
ugh, typical round headlight elitism. I have actually started to hate old cars and that whole scene because of this attitude that anything after 74 isn't worth appreciating. This is the kind of thing that is killing the hobby. Can't tell you how many times "old car" guys (that seem to run any type of organized of car show or cruise in) look down their nose at my 80s cars. Nevermind that my cars can blow the doors off theirs. In CA this translated into a very real blow to the car hobby when the round headlight crowd was pacified by giving their cars smog exemption (74 and prior) as a tradeoff for eliminating the plans for a rolling exemption. That was just fine and dandy to them, who cares about anything after 74 anyway right?
As far as I am concerned, old cars and old car culture sucks.
roy
QUOTE (Pablo @ Jan 21 2012, 01:15 PM) *
ugh, typical round headlight elitism. I have actually started to hate old cars and that whole scene because of this attitude that anything after 74 isn't worth appreciating. This is the kind of thing that is killing the hobby. Can't tell you how many times "old car" guys (that seem to run any type of organized of car show or cruise in) look down their nose at my 80s cars. Nevermind that my cars can blow the doors off theirs. In CA this translated into a very real blow to the car hobby when the round headlight crowd was pacified by giving their cars smog exemption (74 and prior) as a tradeoff for eliminating the plans for a rolling exemption. That was just fine and dandy to them, who cares about anything after 74 anyway right?
As far as I am concerned, old cars and old car culture sucks.

Train wreck
Pablo
QUOTE (roy @ Jan 21 2012, 05:41 AM) *
Train wreck

Just my opinion, you can take it or leave it, doesn't bother me. smile.gif

I know it's cold up there and all but cheer up bro.
Racerdad916
48%, but I wasn't born when most of these cars were new. I do remember many from the early 70's drag strips, which should be worth extra credit......
1meanZ
92% and I'm only 30. The chryslers in stage 3 kicked my arse. I've never seen any of them before that I recall.
wstukas
That was terrible! I nailed the first question on the Chevy's...then started guessing and gave up...
Lemons racer
88% but blew one question by not paying enough attention to my button pushin-oops.
Lemons racer
Pablo, lighten up, if everybody liked the same stuff if would be a boring hobby. All cars, all hobbies, have there pluses & minuses, nothing is perfect, even the manufactures will admit that during the mid 70s & 80s quality control went down hill due to smog & safety regs. doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy these cars, just know what you have. Heck I have 2 Corvairs, 63 Spyder, 65 Corsa 140. Both need restoration but are pretty solid. 85 Camaro 24Hrs. of LeMons car, 78 Buick Nighthawk EX24Hrs. of LeMons car, 70 Cad coupe, 92 Mitsi 3000GT VR4, plus some trucks & parts cars, enjoy the all.

I used to work at a Rolls Royce shop back around 1980, I wouldn't want one but some folks think there great, to each there own. Personally I think a Rolls-Bently demolition derby would be a riot to watch, might even get some TV coverage.

So sit back, relax, & enjoy the hobby!
Blainefab
QUOTE (Lemons racer @ Jan 22 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Heck I have 2 Corvairs, 63 Spyder, 65 Corsa 140. Both need restoration but are pretty solid.

Would you have a use for a Corvair diff with a busted case? The internals might be useable, make me an offer. I'll be at all the NASA NorCal events.
z28jeff
83%. I'm ok with that since 50's cars aren't my favorite era cars.
CrashTestDummy
QUOTE (Lemons racer @ Jan 22 2012, 06:26 PM) *
<SNIP>, 70 Cad coupe, <SNIP>

So sit back, relax, & enjoy the hobby!

Sweet! We have my grandparent's 1968 Calais in our 'collection'. I just got the brakes fixed after >10 years needing a master cylinder. I have a nasty trans leak somewhere (getting more and more afraid it's the front pump seal) and gotta replace the exhaust so I can get it inspected so we can drive it around a bit. It's a fine old tub!

Indeed. I do enjoy the hobby, it's a great place in our back yard I pour money into!

rotf.gif
Lemons racer
To Crash test, one of my parts cars was a 70 Calais, striped her down to the bare bones, no doors, front sheet metal or roof, used it for a wood truck for years, she'ed carry more than a 3/4 ton truck, would load her all the way up to the dash 7ft. high with cedar, my kids would sit on top to let me know if anybody was coming from my right side, the Forest service guys would just laugh. Finally broke the frame! go figure.

And if your trans is leaking, no biggy they come out pretty easy. those old front seals don't like sittin that long.

If you do replace the EXH go dual, my 70 coupe would cruise at 110mph going from Placerville to Pollock Pines on Hwy 50, 2200 elevation to 4000 in 10 miles no problem, lots of fun. Of course only when there was NO other traffic, I'm not a complete doof.
Blainefab
Personally I think a Rolls-Bently demolition derby would be a riot to watch, might even get some TV coverage.

Bill Arnold has a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud (or Shadow, I don't remember) he's prepping for Lemons, maybe has already raced it?
CrashTestDummy
QUOTE (Lemons racer @ Jan 26 2012, 02:56 AM) *
To Crash test, one of my parts cars was a 70 Calais, striped her down to the bare bones, no doors, front sheet metal or roof, used it for a wood truck for years, she'ed carry more than a 3/4 ton truck, would load her all the way up to the dash 7ft. high with cedar, my kids would sit on top to let me know if anybody was coming from my right side, the Forest service guys would just laugh. Finally broke the frame! go figure.

And if your trans is leaking, no biggy they come out pretty easy. those old front seals don't like sittin that long.

If you do replace the EXH go dual, my 70 coupe would cruise at 110mph going from Placerville to Pollock Pines on Hwy 50, 2200 elevation to 4000 in 10 miles no problem, lots of fun. Of course only when there was NO other traffic, I'm not a complete doof.

Nice. Yep, I'm familiar with a TH400. I tried replacing the dipstick tube and speedo drive o-rings, but they didn't seem to be where the problem is. That's why I'm guessing it's the front pump seal. The tailshaft is dry, and there was some leaking out of the speedo drive, but the cable was loose on that. It's just gonna suck dragging that beast out of the car. I hate bathing in ATF just a little less than I hate bathing in gear oil.

Yeah, I'm thinkng duals. Although I'm not planning any 110 MPH runs anywhere soon in that car. Just a nice weekend cruiser.
matt f
88%

I completely blew 1 where I got 0 out of 4:(
Lemons racer
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Jan 26 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Personally I think a Rolls-Bently demolition derby would be a riot to watch, might even get some TV coverage.

Bill Arnold has a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud (or Shadow, I don't remember) he's prepping for Lemons, maybe has already raced it?

The Clouds SC3 (V-8, dual headlights) are what they used in the Gray Pupaun? mustard commercials, they rust very very bad, even the frames. The Shadows look like a rounded 75 Impala, I wouldn't say they were terrible cars, ok I lied they are terrible cars, but ay least there expensive!

One thing I did like about them, they used the old GM 4sp hydromatic trans through the early 60s until they finally went to the Turbo 400.

Would love to see one of these turds at a LeMons race, PM me if he gets it going, I'll even supply the tea & crumpets.
CrashTestDummy
Hopefully, they use a 'Grey Pooped-On' theme and paint it mustard yellow. biggrin.gif
hrdlydangerous
I got an 83 and I'm only 35 years old. Sheesh! I guess the memory IS the first thing to go for some of you. laugh.gif
dailydriver
QUOTE (hrdlydangerous @ Jan 31 2012, 01:57 PM) *
I got an 83 and I'm only 35 years old. Sheesh! I guess the memory IS the first thing to go for some of you. laugh.gif

TRUE, but even waayyy back then I did not care too much about the boring, pedestrian, appliance, point A to B stuff (like a Camry/Accord is nowadays).

I was into the Vettes, Cunninghams, Scarabs, Cheetahs, ACs, and various Italian and Brit sports cars/roadsters. wink.gif
Sidney
81%. I messed up often when they were all or mostly GM's. I guess I can't tell the difference between a Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Chevy from the early 50's!
TPIJAY
That sucked, only got 48%. If they had one of those for 60's-70's I might actually stand a chance! I'm curious to see how my dad does....
hotrodponcho
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jan 19 2012, 04:55 PM) *
http://www.americantorque.com/game/car-show-50s/

Be honest and post the results.

78% dry.gif

I'm average........73% Not too bad for a guy that was born at least 5 years after the newest car on the test. Been to too many car shows I guess.
Lonnie
88%... those old Mopars messed me up.
goinfast
83% and im only 25 haha
Transam1986
71%
BigEnos
81%

It seemed like I either aced the 4 or got 1 or 0.
Bud M
I got a 79. Sent the link to my dad, he aced it! Said the only one he had to think hard about was the years of the Mercurys.
00 SS
77%. That was tough. There were alot of cars I've never seen before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.