Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing baked on brake dust from wheels
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
FASTFATBOY
I just got a set of gray C5 Z06 wheels, in great shape.

Two of them have baked-caked on brake dust in the corners of the spokes at the lip.

I tried:
Rubbing compound
Goo Gone
White Diamond polish
WD-40
Acetone

Anyone? Bueller?
roy
P21 Felgen Reiniger
Spray the rims down, stick the rims in a plastic bag, wait 3 to eight hours, then clean the rims. This stuff will do wonders , but won't work miralcles. It is pricey though and can be bought in the states.
FASTFATBOY
QUOTE (roy @ Apr 29 2012, 06:10 PM) *
P21 Felgen Reiniger
Spray the rims down, stick the rims in a plastic bag, wait 3 to eight hours, then clean the rims. This stuff will do wonders , but won't work miralcles. It is pricey though and can be bought in the states.

Damage clear coat?
roy
Nope it doesn't.
Check it out here P21-S
CrashTestDummy
I find that brand at Cycle Gear, but not that specific product. You may check at Motorcycle shops for such a thing. I have never seen it in the local parts houses, but then again, it it's not an 'A' part, it isn't on the shelves.
dgagess
P21 is the best!!
FASTFATBOY
I used some stuff called IRON-X, it got it all off with some elbow grease and a brush, bad ass stuff.

The stuff on the wheels was like caked on asphalt
JimMueller
Where did you find Iron-X? I'll have to try that next time instead of wetsanding with 300 grit. The wheels were 15-16 years old and the clearcoat was already questionable
FASTFATBOY
QUOTE (JimMueller @ May 4 2012, 11:13 AM) *
Where did you find Iron-X? I'll have to try that next time instead of wetsanding with 300 grit. The wheels were 15-16 years old and the clearcoat was already questionable

I bought it online at Autogeek.net.

I used it wrong, because I was a first timer.

Stay in the shade on a cool or rainy day, spray it on and let it work.....it turns purple as it is taking the stuff off the wheel. Lightly spray it to keep it damp, don't let it dry.

I used a tooth brush style nylon scrub brush and my fingernails to scrape and brush the deposits.

If I would have just sprayed it on, kept it damp(lightly misting the product) for an hour or two it would have done most of the hard work itself and I would have saved a lot of the product.

I was amazed that stuff came off the wheel, I thought they were ruined. The deposits on the corners of the spokes were like asphalt embedded in the wheel lip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.