Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's your chance to tell me what to do.
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Administrative > Site Suggestions and Comments
Chris 96 WS6
I realized we needed a dedicated forum for improvements and suggestions. I want to be sure we have the right break-down of forums and the appropriate number, so any topic that is significant gets enough space for dedicated discussion but we don't dillute our traffic by having too many forums. Delicate balance I think...

Anyway, here's the chance to put in your $.02.
mjf454
I like the way it is set up now, although there is enough sections that it is easy to find yourself "out of the loop" if you do not do a thorough check of them all.
y5e06
I would prefere the technical sections be lumped together, but thats a personal preference. I visit so often now that I just use the "View New Posts" link at the top, basically serving the same purpose.
ESPCamaro
I think so far so good.

I like the board breakdown. The Brake section probably won't get tons of traffic, but it is nice to have it's own section..

I really like how the autox and RR tech sections are seperate. This is the best part of the board. It lets people who are answering questions know, what kind of advice to give.. Even though alot of us post in all of them, we all have a "specialty". By the breakdown the way it is, it is easy to know WHO to ask questions that pertain to their respective performance activity.

Eventually I think a "street performance" section with a street performance, ride quality, practicality subline. This would also prevent those looking for "an agressive street setup" from having to post in the AX or RR tech sections.
Jon A
QUOTE (ESPCamaro @ Jan 9 2004, 08:11 PM)
Eventually I think a "street performance" section with a street performance, ride quality, practicality subline. This would also prevent those looking for "an agressive street setup" from having to post in the AX or RR tech sections.

Bah! I say we ban those wanting to pimp on the street! There are plenty of other forums from which they can get advice for that! biggrin.gif

One sugestion I've got is that the user's profile contain their location and that location be displayed under their name. Everett, WA isn't exactly sig material....
Nick
The board is coming along nicely.
I also use the "View New Posts" icon.. lots easier than hitting all the different forums.

I have to agree that street oriented people have plenty of other places to go. I think it was said jokingly, but there is a lot of truth said in jest. wink.gif
Chris 96 WS6
Jon we are working on those location features, my Co-Admin Lee is checking into how to add that. I'm not a programmer biggrin.gif
GlennCMC70
i opted for email notifications. when i click on the link in the email, it always takes me to the original post. i would like it to take me to the new reply. this is only an "issue" when the thread gets over 1 page. i know most other sites i'm on do this. is it possible to do here?
lateapex
QUOTE (Glenn98ZM6 @ Jan 12 2004, 05:39 AM)
i opted for email notifications. when i click on the link in the email, it always takes me to the original post. i would like it to take me to the new reply. this is only an "issue" when the thread gets over 1 page. i know most other sites i'm on do this. is it possible to do here?

In addition to email notifications, I opted to have the last reply "quoted" in the email. That way I don't need to go to the board at all if the reply is lame. Not that I have ever read a lame reply on this board.
sgarnett
Even for safe and legal street driving, the handling of the later models needs help, and the "help" available in other places is useless at best.

However, a good minimal starting point for street handling is an F Stock setup, and most such questions are usually in the form, "I want to improve the street handling, but would like to try [autocross | road racing] someday."

I think we have a few too many different forums already.
DanKeen
I think we need another image in the top-right...that's a blank space! Here's me heading the opposite direction of Steve in the rain...I think it looks good smile.gif My copilot and I were humming the Mission Impossible theme during this run smile.gif

Dan
lateapex
Can someone tell me how to disable PM's? I have not been able to figure it out, and PM's confuse my mail system. I am very organized, and I will look through my past emails searching for a certain piece, and then I think, "maybe it was a PM, and isn't in my email archives". But then I am not sure and go back and waste more time looking through my old emails again.

I have disabled PM's on the other boards. I always have my email address in my sig so anyone can email me directly.

Thanks,
Bob
Chris 96 WS6
As of yet I have not found a way to disable PMs on an individual basis. I'll keep looking as I get time.
KeithO
This site is fine and I can't see anything that really needs addressed.

However, I'm surprised that you haven't had any sponsors interested in this site. This is the sort of site where the visitors spend a little more on their cars than the average f-body owner...

Speaking of which, I have contributed $$$ to another site that I felt was very worthwhile and would be glad to do it for this site. ...not so that I could demand things or extend expectations, but just to ensure that you guys doing the work will have funds when you need stuff to keep things running. I am sure that this is not all free to someone.

If you feel that donations would be appropriate, just tell me where to send in some "help".

Thanks for your efforts.
Chris 96 WS6
Keith, this site is pretty much free at the moment. My club, mtfba.org has sponsorships that pay our web hosting fees. We have plenty of drive space and bandwidth, which is how FRRAX.com can be hosted on the mtfba.org account for free.

At some point in the not-that-distant future, I'd like to move FRRAX to its own hosting account. There will be some small costs associated with that, but nothing we could not handle with some donations or a few small sponsorships.

I make good money and can easily pay for such a move myself but obviously I'd rather it not cost me anything out of my pocket.

If we get some sponsors interested I'd be glad to have them here as long as they understand this site will never cow-tow to a sponsor's gripes about individuals bashing their products. The first time a sponsor complained I'd say "where do you want your sponsorship refund check mailed". I think sponsors would be healthy for this board but if forced to we can get along just fine w/o them.

Thanks for your thoughts.
KeithO
If/when the situation changes, count me in. Thanks for your efforts.
robz71lm7
When donations are needed, count me in.
Chris 96 WS6
The more I think about it the more I would rather have a couple of sponsors than donations.

Why? Because inevitably only some will donate, leaving the rest as free loaders. That creates resentment, which creates flame wars, etc. I'd much rather provide a service (advertisement) in exchange for payment (sponsorship) and leave it at that. Plus if there's any overages I can keep the money in good conscience rather than coming up with a way to refund donations in excess of the needed amount.

But, that is all contingent on finding a sponsor or two.
KeithO
QUOTE (Chris 96 WS6 @ Jan 20 2004, 03:18 PM)
Why? Because inevitably only some will donate, leaving the rest as free loaders. That creates resentment, which creates flame wars, etc.

I know that this risk exists. That's why I say in my first post that there would be "no expectations". I don't work that way.

Do what you think is best. This was just a suggestion and I am only thinking ahead and looking to help.

Thanks for your efforts.
rmackintosh
The more I think about it the more I would rather have a couple of sponsors than donations.

I too, think you should do what is most convenient to you. This board is growing fast and is a great service to all of us, but this costs money. I for one would be happy to contribute what I could, but if sponsors are easier to you....go for it.

I see them on all the other boards so....just need to nip the sponsor worship in the bud now and again!

wink.gif
94bird
As I stated early on I'd gladly contribute myself to keep away from 2 things:

1) Popups
2) Restricted posts based on who's a sponsor of the site
GlennCMC70
QUOTE (94bird @ Jan 20 2004, 04:44 PM)

1) Popups

i'm nominating you for President of FRRAX.com!
Jon A
QUOTE (94bird @ Jan 20 2004, 02:44 PM)

1) Popups

3) The site stalling because it's contacting oz.valueclick.com.or who the fuck ever.com that I didn't want to go in the first place while the banner add loads.
sgarnett
QUOTE (Jon A @ Jan 21 2004, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (94bird @ Jan 20 2004, 02:44 PM)

1) Popups

3) The site stalling because it's contacting oz.valueclick.com.or who the fuck ever.com that I didn't want to go in the first place while the banner add loads.

Yep, I'd gladly chip in to avoid all 3. However, if sponsors and ads do happen, please don't make it anything that streams continuously.

I don't know if the continuously scrolling banner streams or downloads once and repeats (hopefully), but anything that generates traffic automatically (without clicking) is inherently "not work friendly". Personal use of the internet connection at work is allowed on a limited basis, but features such as tickers that update continuously "keep the meter running" so to speak, and it is DEFINITELY tracked.
Chris 96 WS6
As long as I own this site it will NEVER have:

1. Pop ups of ANY KIND
2. Restrictions on posts to avoid offending a sponsor
3. A bunch of banners, scrolling, etc.

At mtfba.org we put our sponsors' 100x45 banners in a rotating banner at the top of the forums. Each time you visit it loads a different one randomly. There is never more than 1 on the screen, it is small an unobtrusive, and there are not rotating or animated features that slow your machine down, etc.

I'm not going to go out soliciting for sponsors, but if someone approaches me and wants to support the site then I'm not going to turn them away, as long as they understand they are not going to get special treatment or be insulated from criticism.
mitchntx
I guess I'm on the other side of the fence.

I would prefer to pay for access, as opposed to dealing with sponsors.

In my mind, Chris, a donation is the same thing as a gift. In this case, the gift would have some return on it (this site), but I wouldn't expect anything refunded. There will always be something down the road that needs monetary attention.

From what I'm seeing of the members of this place, is that it's not the typical "surfer". Most, if not all, realize that nothing in life is for free and that respect is a precious commodity.

In one month, this place already has a great archive of information.
Chris 96 WS6
I understand and appreciate it, but put yourselves in my shoes. We are not talking about very much money (~$200 a year) and while donations would wipe that out quickly.

However, I guess its something of a personal pride thing that I would not want to accept "charity", as it were, to fund the site. Donations would be more "right" in my gut if it were a pay-for-access site, but that would destroy the membership base pretty quickly.
mitchntx
Charity is something given for someone in need.
Donation is somethng given to support what one believes in.

I don't mind donating to a good cause, however, charity is something I doll out to only thsose who I think need it. If a racer needs charuty, that person needs to quit racing.

Think of it this way ...

If you and I were at a track and I broke brake rotor and you had a used spare, would you give it to me for me to be able to continue m event?

Would you consider that charity or a donation?
94bird
Chris, don't make it a "pay for access" site, but if you would appreciate donations, just give us an address to contribute to. Paypal, checks, whatever. I'm sure you'd get your $200 pretty quickly and it would take a burden off you that none of us meant to create.
mitchntx
QUOTE (mitchntx @ Jan 21 2004, 10:47 AM)
I would prefer to pay for access, as opposed to dealing with sponsors.

Oooops ..... Don't misunderstand that comment ...

By pay, I mean donation, not a charge ....
Chris 96 WS6
Alrighty, say I set up a paypal deal.

Should there be a minimum and or max donation, a set amount, or wide open for whatever you want to contribute?

Should I continue to accept donations in excess of what is needed, for use toward future years and possible increases in fees due to bandwidth, or do I close donations once we hit the necessary amount for the year?

I'm not being stubborn here, you guys are winning me over, but I guess it is the details that concern me.
mitchntx
I would think a Paypal account would do nicely.

Keep it open, because when a request goes out for donations, they will come in. But then they will be forgotten ... until the next request goes out.

Kind of like Salvation army ... I put my change in the pot during Christmas time because that's when I remember to do it ...
rmackintosh
I agree with Mitch...

You could post a "stickie" somewhere that gives the goal you are aiming for, and keep it updated on how close we are to it so you don't get to concerned about getting too much and what to do with it....
mitchntx
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jan 22 2004, 12:51 PM)
I agree with Mitch...

You realize that could be fatal, don't you?

blink.gif
sgarnett
Hey, maybe you'll get enough for the interest alone to sustain the site smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about getting too much. Both time and growth will increase the operating costs. If you end up with a surplus, hang on to it as a buffer against future expenses (including the unanticipated things, like repairs).
Trance
Nice idea on the Paypal account. I say keep it open. You never know when this place might need a faster cpu/more memory/more bandwidth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.