Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Racing Lightweight Racing Lug Nuts
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > Advertiser Sales & Group Purchases
ImprovedRacing
We've just released our lightweight aluminum lug nuts. These are machined from 7075-T6 aluminum and true hard anodized.

A lot of the lug nuts you see on the market claim to be hard anodized, but often they are not. Hard anodized plating is typically only available in black and a gunmetal gray/bronze color. If it's any other color, it's most likely not hard anodized. These lug nuts are much more durable and difficult to scratch than your typical aluminum lug nut.

Price is $90 for a set of 20. F-Bodys use M12 x 1.50 mm thread. Available for purchase on our website here: http://www.improvedracing.com/wheel-lug-nu...x150-p-501.html

Features and Benefits
- Lightweight at just 0.88 oz (25 grams)
- Machined from 7075-T6 billet aluminum
- True Type III hard anodized in gunmetal gray for excellent scratch resistance
- M12 x 1.25 threads
- 19mm hex
- Open end design accommodates extended wheel studs and permits stud engagement inspection
- Sold in sets of 20
- Lifetime warranty

BumpaD_Z28
What is the overall "length" (tip of taper to top of opening ) ?

~DaVe
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (BumpaD_Z28 @ Nov 21 2014, 01:55 AM) *
What is the overall "length" (tip of taper to top of opening ) ?

~DaVe

They are 50mm long, or 1.97".
98_1LE
Neat product. I'm out of that game, but cool nonetheless.

I did throw a stock lug nut on a scale, ans it was 54g. The little plastic lug caps are 4g.
dailydriver
Will your titanium ones coming down the pike weigh even less than the 25 grams these weigh??
Steve91T
Are these considered as strong as stock?
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Nov 30 2014, 05:10 PM) *
Will your titanium ones coming down the pike weigh even less than the 25 grams these weigh??

The Ti ones will be much smaller, so they will probably be lighter. I will calculate what they will weigh once the design is finalized and let you guys know.

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Nov 30 2014, 05:16 PM) *
Are these considered as strong as stock?

Yes, they are similar in strength. The steel is probably a little harder, though, so it won't ding or gouge as easily.
dailydriver
QUOTE (ImprovedRacing @ Dec 1 2014, 10:42 AM) *
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Nov 30 2014, 05:10 PM) *

The Ti ones will be much smaller, so they will probably be lighter. I will calculate what they will weigh once the design is finalized and let you guys know.

THANKS! 2thumbs.gif

I don't need lugs as long as your alloy ones above, anyway, so I will wait for the titanium ones. smile.gif
StanIROCZ
Material strength is one factor in fastener design, but how have you validated resistance to gawing and seizing? 1.5 lbs of weight savings isn't worth having a lug seize up while rotating tires at a track day.
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Dec 1 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Material strength is one factor in fastener design, but how have you validated resistance to gawing and seizing? 1.5 lbs of weight savings isn't worth having a lug seize up while rotating tires at a track day.

So long as they are torqued correctly, they should not seize. I've had lug nuts seize before (and they were steel), but it was due to over-torquing. Aluminum on steel and titanium on steel will not typically gall. Stainless steel on stainless steel galls like crazy, which is why we never use stainless nuts on stainless bolts.
ImprovedRacing
Here's a video we made comparing the scratch resistance of our hard anodized lug nuts to standard anodized lug nuts:

http://youtu.be/EExru6nQjjI
Smitty2919
Not bashing the product as it looks like a nice piece, but is there a market out there for aluminum lug nuts?

I mean you would have to be pretty serious about weight savings to want to save weight via lighter lug nuts.
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (Smitty2919 @ Jan 2 2015, 09:45 AM) *
Not bashing the product as it looks like a nice piece, but is there a market out there for aluminum lug nuts?

I mean you would have to be pretty serious about weight savings to want to save weight via lighter lug nuts.

Yes, there is a pretty big market for lightweight lug nuts. They can save as much as 2 pounds of unsprung mass, which has a more significant effect on performance. Sure, it may not be noticeable, but it's only of those little things that can add up, and they look a lot better than factory nuts and don't corrode.
mikedamageinc
Doesn't it make a difference too that it is spinning weight? With wheels and tires I've heard 1# acts like 3# when rotating.
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ Jan 2 2015, 11:38 AM) *
Doesn't it make a difference too that it is spinning weight? With wheels and tires I've heard 1# acts like 3# when rotating.

Yes, that would make sense as well, since more horsepower would be required to rotate the additional mass.
JimMueller
Did you make any progress on the Ti lug nuts? I see another vendor selling Ti 12x1.5mm 12pt 16g lug nuts @$7. Is saving 1.6oz per wheel over your anodized Al version worth another $50? There has to be a point of diminishing returns.
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (JimMueller @ Jun 26 2015, 12:20 PM) *
Did you make any progress on the Ti lug nuts? I see another vendor selling Ti 12x1.5mm 12pt 16g lug nuts @$7. Is saving 1.6oz per wheel over your anodized Al version worth another $50? There has to be a point of diminishing returns.

We have completed the designs for our Ti lug nuts, and the next step is to make some prototypes and test them. But we've been distracted with some other projects lately.

It's kind of a personal decision. To some people it's worth it, others prefer to just keep the stock lug nuts. The obvious advantage of Ti is that it's stronger than aluminum, not so much the weight savings. It's only a bit lighter because it's stronger and therefore less material is required. Who is selling Ti lug nuts for $7 each? That's actually pretty inexpensive. Ours would likely be priced close to $200 for a set of 20 (so closer to $10 each).
79T/A
Katech just posted up about the titanium lug nuts.
ImprovedRacing
QUOTE (79T/A @ Jun 26 2015, 02:10 PM) *

I see it now, thanks. Ours will be a little different, and we are experimenting with a few different black coatings on the titanium as well.
dailydriver
QUOTE (ImprovedRacing @ Jun 26 2015, 02:50 PM) *

I see it now, thanks. Ours will be a little different, and we are experimenting with a few different black coatings on the titanium as well.

If I find out that theirs (Katech's) are made overseas (China/Taiwan/Japan/Korea/etc.), and yours are made HERE, I would GLADLY pay the price difference with a big smile on my face!! 2thumbs.gif

Also, a regular 6 point hex, and the above mentioned black coatings would sway me to your product as well. wink.gif
79T/A
Yes, the 12pt is unappealing. Hex would be much better.
MoJoe
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Jun 26 2015, 07:37 PM) *

If I find out that theirs (Katech's) are made overseas (China/Taiwan/Japan/Korea/etc.), and yours are made HERE, I would GLADLY pay the price difference with a big smile on my face!! 2thumbs.gif

Katech_Jason on LS1Tech says theirs are made in China. unsure.gif
dailydriver
QUOTE (MoJoe @ Jul 2 2015, 11:24 PM) *
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Jun 26 2015, 07:37 PM) *

Katech_Jason on LS1Tech says theirs are made in China. unsure.gif

Yes, he finally answered me over there, but did NOT answer me on whether or not they will ever be made in a 6 point hex.
ImprovedRacing
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was going to say that there is absolutely no way they can make titanium lug nuts and sell them for that price unless they are made in China, but I guess they beat us to it. It looks like their lug nuts are an off-the-shelf version sold by a Chinese manufacturer. Ours would also be made overseas, but we are designing our own from scratch and looking into different types of coatings for titanium as well.

Just to be completely honest with you guys. The material alone in the USA would cost roughly $3-4 per lug nut. Then you need to add the machining cost on top of that, and machining titanium isn't cheap. It's completely crazy but the Chinese can make lug nuts like these for less than we pay for just the material alone here in the USA! There are foundries in China that they can buy the titanium from for a lot less than we can get it. Then you have to factor in that their labor is far cheaper, and there are entire factories over there that specialize in just making lug nuts, so they are completely optimized for that purpose.

We could make the lug nuts here in the US, but the cheapest we'd be able to sell it for is $20/lug. That's why most titanium lug nuts are around $500 for a set of 20.

I try to avoid making anything offshore and the only parts we have made overseas are typically small specialized components, like mounting brackets, springs, and hardware. Our products are all machined in the US because we can better control the quality and protect our IP (the Chinese will copy anything) and there are also logistical advantages. But those factors aren't important for minor things like minor hardware and brackets. There are certain things that just make sense to manufacture in Asia.

Anyway, our lug nuts would be 6 point hex. They would still be made overseas but would be our own custom design with a round knurled end for gripping the nut, and possibly a black coating similar to anodizing on aluminum. The price would be roughly $200 for a set of 20 (or $10/lug). We are very selective about who we contract manufacturing to and we maintain very high quality standards, so our products are of course still guaranteed to be high quality and come with a lifetime warranty. I'd really like to hear feedback on whether you guys would buy these or not. If there isn't much interest, we won't pursue it. I don't think it's worth it to pay $500 for a set of titanium lug nuts, but for $200 I think it is and that's why we wanted to make these. Aluminum is also fine but titanium is stronger and lighter and will hold up better in the long term.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.