Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine is ready!
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
WarShrike
Picking up this wee beastie here in a few days!

CrashTestDummy
A 6-er, nice!!
WarShrike
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jun 9 2015, 09:11 PM) *
A 6-er, nice!!

Thanks, higher compression motor, bigger cam and the heads are worked over as well. Should be quite the hoot on the street or Auto-x. I don't do class racing, just go have fun at the PCA events.
CrashTestDummy
Cool. Who's the builder?
79T/A
Love seeing unique (and very clean) builds like yours. What kind of power are you expecting?
WarShrike
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jun 10 2015, 03:36 PM) *
Cool. Who's the builder?

Total Engine Service here in Lubbock, TX. Casey Smyth did the assembly. It was a pita getting some things taken care of with the vendors, but he was really happy with it once it all came together. Got a bit more compression than we expected, but it should keep it burning nice and clean.

QUOTE (79T/A @ Jun 10 2015, 03:37 PM) *
Love seeing unique (and very clean) builds like yours. What kind of power are you expecting?

Something in the range of 250 to the tires, we'll see. I'm modifying the longtube collectors to aid in scavenging better and keep the velocity up and changing exhaust design as well because the y-pipe merge the shop did was crappy.

Gonna do break in, do the idle and cruise tune then put it on the rollers at Total Engine Svc. since they're cutting me a deal on that.
WarShrike
Few other things are showing up, hope to get everything rolling after this semester is over...

Such a uniform merge.

WarShrike
Took way too long, but I finally got it fired up. Still have a lot to do including an alignment, hook exhaust up, inspection, tags, break in driving and then dyno tune. Then I'll save up for the next level of fun things including some track wheels/tires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqWC3Em9AM

SLCKLS1
QUOTE (WarShrike @ Apr 13 2016, 09:52 PM) *
Took way too long, but I finally got it fired up. Still have a lot to do including an alignment, hook exhaust up, inspection, tags, break in driving and then dyno tune. Then I'll save up for the next level of fun things including some track wheels/tires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqWC3Em9AM

That's awesome, man! Even though you still have a lot to do, it's gotta feel good to start it up.
dailydriver
What will that little sucker zing up to (and survive), RPM wise??

It IS cool to see someone build up a sixer, and try to squeeze everything out of it, NA. 2thumbs.gif cool2.gif
SuperMacGuy
Car looks great, love those wheels. Hope you get FTD at the Porsche events and make 'em cry. I crushed almost everyone a few years back and then the next event was 'a lot' harder. I think they felt inferior, haha. Then I missed FTD by 0.003 seconds, darn.
WarShrike
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Apr 15 2016, 06:15 PM) *

It IS cool to see someone build up a sixer, and try to squeeze everything out of it, NA. 2thumbs.gif cool2.gif

Balance and everything can keep this one safe up to 7000rpm but I probably won't need to spin it much past 6000.

QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ Apr 15 2016, 06:45 PM) *
Car looks great, love those wheels. Hope you get FTD at the Porsche events and make 'em cry. I crushed almost everyone a few years back and then the next event was 'a lot' harder. I think they felt inferior, haha. Then I missed FTD by 0.003 seconds, darn.

Thanks, there's a lot of stupid quick cars that show up including a Daytona Cobra clone, Turbo MR2's, Z06's, and one guy that used to rally race that brought out his lightly modded STI. Rally start launches at the auto-x FTW.

Finally got some time to let it idle and warm up so I could burp the coolant. Gotta go get that exhaust hooked up though, lol! biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPGgBwYlVI
Steve91T
QUOTE (WarShrike @ Apr 15 2016, 11:48 PM) *
QUOTE (dailydriver @ Apr 15 2016, 06:15 PM) *

Balance and everything can keep this one safe up to 7000rpm but I probably won't need to spin it much past 6000.

QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ Apr 15 2016, 06:45 PM) *

Thanks, there's a lot of stupid quick cars that show up including a Daytona Cobra clone, Turbo MR2's, Z06's, and one guy that used to rally race that brought out his lightly modded STI. Rally start launches at the auto-x FTW.

Finally got some time to let it idle and warm up so I could burp the coolant. Gotta go get that exhaust hooked up though, lol! biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPGgBwYlVI

Damn I wanted just one quick rev! I am not a fan of V6's mostly for the sound, but I'll be the first to admit that's the best sounding V6 I've ever heard. I can't wait to hear it with an exhaust. How does the weight of this engine compare to an ls1?
WarShrike
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 15 2016, 11:12 PM) *
Damn I wanted just one quick rev! I am not a fan of V6's mostly for the sound, but I'll be the first to admit that's the best sounding V6 I've ever heard. I can't wait to hear it with an exhaust. How does the weight of this engine compare to an ls1?

Trust me, I wanted to rev as well rotf.gif but It's still on a safe tune right now and I'm just being cautious, lol!

The engine is maybe 80lbs or so lighter than an LSx, all iron block and heads so they're not exactly welterweights. I have a tubular road race k-member up front as well so it's a little lighter but not by a whole lot. They do handle power quite well, some of the FWD guys have taken their engines to 800hp and 8's in the 1/4 mile stock bottom end.
WarShrike
Still slow progress, shop was super busy and the car in front of me had about $30K worth of work going on before they could pull it off the lift.

Light idle clip with the exhaust finally hooked up, still need to do some fine tuning, break in and then dyno tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjdJiT3tho
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.