Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shopping for a new helmet...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Steve91T
Hey guys, thought I'd get some opinions on what helmets people are using. I'm used to the cheap full faced Simpson helmets with no visor. I plan on using a visor now for safety reasons.

So, my bean is pretty picky when it comes to helmets. So trying them on is a must. Simpson racing is just up the road from me, so I'm probably going to see what they have to offer. I really don't want to spend a lot of money right now, but I don't want to hate my helmet either.

I'm thinking about forced air. Anyone use one?

Anyway, let me know what you guys have and how you like them.
CrashTestDummy
Definitely make the trip to try one on. After I lost my current autocross helmet (Shoei open-face), we went back to the bike shop we got the old one from, and their selection had changed significantly, and their selection of open-face helmets was low. Additionally, it seems that all a biker needs is a DOT helmet, so they had NO Snell or FIA-approved helmets in stock.

I was wanting to get one of those coolio carbon fiber helmets that's hitting the market, but all I could find were either not yet in production, or NOT Snell 2015 (If I'm going to buy one now, might as well get a 2015). At the February autocross event, a friend had a new Bell open face, and although the fit on his head wasn't that good, he said it was nice and light (what I was hoping to gain from a CF helmet). Sooo, I ordered a Bell open face helmet. It's in, and usable, although even though it's a medium, it's almost too tight on my head. Luckily, it's not bad for a 40-second autocross, but if it was for roadracing, it would be going back.

At the last autocross event, a friend had a new Black Armor open face CF helmet, one I was looking at, and it's no lighter than my Bell. So I'm fine with my purchase since I didn't suffer a weight penalty with my helmet purchase.
Steve91T
I ended up getting this bad boy.

I couldn't pass up the deal that comes with the shell 2010's. 50% off and comes with a second visor for free. This is forced air and the cool thing about it is the air exits on top of your head, over your eyebrows blowing on the visor and also wraps around and blows on your face. It's really nice. I tried it out on Friday at the track and I love it. I rigged a small 3 inch fan so even while sitting still, I keep my visor closed and enjoy the fresh air. The only downside, and this is a big one, is because of the air intake at the top of the helmet, I only fit in my car. So if I want to ride in someone elses car, chances are it won't work.

My wife trying the forced air system with the smoked shield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.