Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frrax Facebook?
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
91CamarosRS
So some people came off the thirdgen.org page and made a Facebook. Rules are simple, no bad tech advice and it's mainly just for tech. Now we wouldn't have to be that serious, but I think I would be a good idea. Quick responses and neat layout. What do you guys think?
rocky
nice idea but from what I see from all the others is a bunch of douchebags. Do we really want to put up with that? Or have to navigate through all that to get what we are looking for. That's what I love about this site. I can find what I am looking for without all the b.s
91CamarosRS
That's why this one has strict rules. No off topic and good tech advice only. The moderators ban anyone who won't follow. It stays a legitimate place for help.

The search feature on here is a plus however
SuperMacGuy
I don't think i'd use a FB version of this site. This site is nice and simple and to the point, without off topic items, rants, ads, or fluff. Reminds me maybe I should donate to its upkeep.
79T/A
Facebook groups are garbage, I agree this site works great for our needs.
DAlgozine
Come on...............don't we want to know what everyone is having for dinner each night?.......where they went today?........who they saw?..............How they FEEL about........everthing (yikes) ?
91CamarosRS
Lol fine. I see your point
CrashTestDummy
Luddites! 2thumbs.gif

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm not a face-planter. I find the layout and format annoying, and it seems to me to have a high noise to signal ratio. Finding good info on vendor Face-plant sites is rarely worth the effort. No thank you.
Steve91T
Ate take out sushi, went back and forth between old house and new moving more crap than I knew I had, saw my neighbors, old and new, took a dump in a bathroom marked with a man because that's where I'm supposed to go and I'm feeling a little buzzed.

Without Facebook you wouldn't have know all that. You guys are missing out!
CrashTestDummy
Well, I could come here and read that narrative of your evening at my leisure , instead of my Facepalm feed waking me up in the middle of the night to read it. laugh.gif
SuperMacGuy
So, how do I donate directly to the site? Who do i send PayPal to? Trackbird?
trackbird
QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ May 19 2016, 11:57 AM) *
So, how do I donate directly to the site? Who do i send PayPal to? Trackbird?

Donations are appreciated but not required. I bought this site something over 10 years ago in order to preserve the tech and keep a repository of information for these cars. I'm trying to keep it around and available, but I don't want to deal with Facebook and keeping track of another "thing". Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm pretty happy with the state of things these days. It just runs with minimal headaches. I like that.

Paypal is:

glaser (dot) kevin (at) att (dot) net

Thanks guys!
91CamarosRS
Lol I'll just eat this post.... I'll attribute to working graveyard and poor diet for my bad idea.

Track bird, I still need to get with you about decals
Steve91T
QUOTE (91CamarosRS @ May 19 2016, 07:36 PM) *
Lol I'll just eat this post.... I'll attribute to working graveyard and poor diet for my bad idea.

Track bird, I still need to get with you about decals

Nah, I'm not opposed to a Facebook page even though I poked fun at it yesterday. I feel the more publicity the better. 4th gens are amazing capable road course machines and not many people realize that.
CrashTestDummy
And I don't want to crap on anyone's aspirations. I just won't follow. I think our SCCA region has moved over to there, hence the near-abandonment of the web forum, but I still post to it and see that my postings still get looked at, even if they don't get a response.

I'm a Luddite and cermudgeon, so pay no attention to little 'ol me. 2thumbs.gif
79T/A
Sorry I pooed on the idea so hard. I have a fear making it more public would dilute the quality of this site. In my eyes, it would slowly become a cesspool like LS1tech and other forums that have gone down the toilet.
91CamarosRS
Oh yeah, It can turn into a complete crap. There are groups out there that are like that. The one that I am on is invite only. It stays pretty on topic. Moderators usually find the bad eggs and weed them out. I think both venues could have advantages. Quick posts of questions and pictures of problems is a plus. Little to no archive is a minus.

I thought about starting one, but would likely need several members before it got to the point it was useful. And didn't want to step on people's toes by using/branching the name.
91CamarosRS
QUOTE (79T/A @ May 19 2016, 08:30 PM) *
Sorry I pooed on the idea so hard. I have a fear making it more public would dilute the quality of this site. In my eyes, it would slowly become a cesspool like LS1tech and other forums that have gone down the toilet.

The page that inspired me (mullet milita) started because of thirdgen.org going downhill. Wouldn't even need to be a public group. There's an option to make it "secret" when you make the page
mikedamageinc
It does sound like a good idea in theory, but as everyone has already had experience with, FB car pages are crap. The same meme's bashing Ford/Chevy/Mopar/Import/etc and the same questions over and over- how do I change my oil and where can I get some headers? you know like besides google?

As far as the 4th gens capabilities, I have been seeing more and more about them in Grassroots mag and people are noticing what you get for the money in them, so I think the popularity will take care of itself. And maybe the value will shoot up to more than four digits!
trackbird
QUOTE (mikedamageinc @ May 20 2016, 06:44 AM) *
It does sound like a good idea in theory, but as everyone has already had experience with, FB car pages are crap. The same meme's bashing Ford/Chevy/Mopar/Import/etc and the same questions over and over- how do I change my oil and where can I get some headers? you know like besides google?

As far as the 4th gens capabilities, I have been seeing more and more about them in Grassroots mag and people are noticing what you get for the money in them, so I think the popularity will take care of itself. And maybe the value will shoot up to more than four digits!

I've been shopping for another 4th gen recently and there are a lot of people out there who are convinced these cars are worth money ('98 SS with 95k miles for $14,700?). I sold a 2001 SOM SS with 35k miles on it about 2 years ago (when it was 2 years newer) for about $10,000 (not even getting into the cars I'm seeing for $34,500, etc). Anyway, prices are somewhere between "reasonable" and "stupid" these days. It's tough to consider a car a performance bargain when people are overpricing them by 50% or more. lol

And in other news, I found a new 4th gen that's headed for my garage. This one is going to be a basic fun summer/weekend car with some suspension mods....I'm sick of building cars and I'm sick of race cars. I just want a fun driver. Guess I'm getting old.

That's all I'm going to say for now. I'll post some info and pics once it's home....should be soon. wink.gif
SuperMacGuy
Its the natural progression - as more cars are beat/ raced/ retired/ left for scrap, the more the decent ones increase in price as demand goes up relative to supply. Me personally, I'd rather pay for an older lighter car than a new 6th gen Camaro with all the unnecessary electronics and poor visibility. And no T Tops. Easier to fix. But I'm a semi-luddite. Some day I too will say 'hell with all this tinkering' and get a new Corvette and still whoop ass at autocross, because $$$ spent.
trackbird
QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ May 20 2016, 12:31 PM) *
Its the natural progression - as more cars are beat/ raced/ retired/ left for scrap, the more the decent ones increase in price as demand goes up relative to supply. Me personally, I'd rather pay for an older lighter car than a new 6th gen Camaro with all the unnecessary electronics and poor visibility. And no T Tops. Easier to fix. But I'm a semi-luddite. Some day I too will say 'hell with all this tinkering' and get a new Corvette and still whoop ass at autocross, because $$$ spent.

That's exactly my issue with the new car....and I don't fit in it. I'm 5'11" tall and wear a 32" inseam. So I'm not super tall and I don't have super tall torso. But I rub my head on the roof of a new SS with a sunroof. I think I might be ok in one without the sunroof. But not by much. As much as I've tried to convince myself to buy a new one....I just can't seem to do it. So....I've found another 4th gen for now.
KCG
When I first started reading this thread I thought, hey this might be the final straw to push me to FB. I hope to be starting AX this year driving my own car more often instead of co-driving. I could probably use some immediate feedback during events. Not sure that's what the OP had in mind, and I know there's not going to be someone hanging on the edge of there seat to answer me right away, but still, seemed like a more immediate response type of idea rather than waiting till evening to get home, settled down, chickens fed, hogs slopped, etc... before I would post here. Yes, I'm old and if I don't ask something right away, I'll probably forget the exact situation hours later.
That said, I've been seriously thinking of joining so I could see specific groups and manufactures sites. Seems more and more info is going there instead of their websites. Don't know that for sure.
Just my .02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.