Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering quickener
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
ESP125
I have a 94 Camaro Z28 that I am looking to put a steering quickener ( http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Body-2...kener,2030.html ) on. Has anybody out there done anything like this on a 4th Gen car? Just curious what kind of headaches you had/have, what brand you used or anything to sway one way or the other from doing it or not doing it?
Steve91T
QUOTE (ESP125 @ Jun 15 2016, 02:02 PM) *
I have a 94 Camaro Z28 that I am looking to put a steering quickener ( http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Body-2...kener,2030.html ) on. Has anybody out there done anything like this on a 4th Gen car? Just curious what kind of headaches you had/have, what brand you used or anything to sway one way or the other from doing it or not doing it?

I've never heard of such a thing. I need one for my E36 M3!
ESP125
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jun 15 2016, 03:15 PM) *

It basically turns your car's steering into more like a go kart - less input, faster response.
dailydriver
I've asked about these in the past on here, and got NO responses.

Would they even fit on our cars given how cramped that area already is by the exhaust/etc.??
SuperMacGuy
If anyone manages to put one in and make it work, I'd be interested to hear about how it goes/see pix. If you think you need it, I say go for it and fab it up. It might require some mad welding skills to build a sturdy mount for it. Or perhaps a faster steering box would be better? I'd think 2:1 is a lot of speed up, maybe I'd do a 1.5:1
79T/A
To what Steve said about his M3 - do you guys think the rack is that slow? I've driven lots of cars on track, and quite frankly 90% of them are much slower and require much more input to turn the car. I don't think the f-body stuff is quite as bad as some of you make it out to be. You guys would throw a fit if you drove something like an M3 or an old integra type R.
mr.beachcomber
QUOTE (ESP125 @ Jun 15 2016, 08:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jun 15 2016, 03:15 PM) *

It basically turns your car's steering into more like a go kart - less input, faster response.

I'd recommend caution before installing this in a street-driven vehicle. The old C4 quick steering ratio (two turns lock-to-lock) was dropped because the power-assisted rack and pinion steering was subject to flutter (wheels turning from side to side, back and forth at a high rate of speed) at high speeds (>60 MPH) due to inadvertent driver input. For an auto-x only vehicle, go ahead and do it if you like kart-like steering responses.
CrashTestDummy
Packaging is the big thing. If you're installing a fabbed column, and/or moving the driver back in the car, there's more room. As Chris says, I'd think a quicker box would be the way to go. Perhaps something like this:

Sweet steering gear

^^ This of course, would be for a 3rd Gen. You'd have to research a new rack for a 4th Gen.

That, and/or change the length of the steering arms.
Steve91T
I agree. The steering in my 4th gen is fast enough. I went with a slightly smaller wheel (320mm?) and that made it feel even faster.
79T/A
Yep, and there are 300mm wheels if you need to make it feel even faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.