Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever wonder what 315 degree oil temps do to oil???
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Steve91T
Apparently not a damn thing. Oil had several hundred street miles before a track day. No oil cooler meant my oil temps were 315 for the majority of the 25 minute sessions. I did 4 sessions that day. Once home, I warmed the engine up and changed the oil and took a sample. There is really no information as to what's too hot. Well, I guess 315 is fine. I never would have thought that.

79T/A
What oil?
Steve91T
QUOTE (79T/A @ Jun 21 2016, 06:43 PM) *
What oil?

Rotella T6. Synthetic 5w40 diesel oil. I use it in my Powerstroke, 5.7 Merc boat, M3...I think I even put it in my lawn mower.
mr.beachcomber
Well, I'm impressed that the oil didn't shear out of viscosity range of 5W-40 unlike some (my main gripe about Royal Purple in track cars). I believe that I posted earlier that when I was racing C2/C3 Corvettes in B Production, Redline Oil advised me to change the oil (10W30) if my oil temps reached 315F (with an oil cooler). I've always taken that as the gospel truth for oil temp limits; however, your experience makes me believe that Redline was just being proactive in preventing damage to a race engine. (Shoot, an oil/filter change cost less than the amount of racing fuel I used in a weekend.)

Looking forward to your next oil analysis results!
Steve91T
QUOTE (mr.beachcomber @ Jun 22 2016, 09:15 AM) *
Well, I'm impressed that the oil didn't shear out of viscosity range of 5W-40 unlike some (my main gripe about Royal Purple in track cars). I believe that I posted earlier that when I was racing C2/C3 Corvettes in B Production, Redline Oil advised me to change the oil (10W30) if my oil temps reached 315F (with an oil cooler). I've always taken that as the gospel truth for oil temp limits; however, your experience makes me believe that Redline was just being proactive in preventing damage to a race engine. (Shoot, an oil/filter change cost less than the amount of racing fuel I used in a weekend.)

Looking forward to your next oil analysis results!

I remember you saying that. And that's the only reason I kept going that day figuring that it's not going to hurt the engine too terribly bad. It's a junkyard engine, so I didn't really care. Now that I have a cooler, the temps were 280 ish....so maybe I don't even need to change it right away. I'm not going to do another track day for a while, just going to drive it on the street.
Ojustracing
Silicon is a little high. Hows the air filter/intake system? Also Blackstone mentioned 5-40 when it had 15-40 in it? Oil looks a little thin for 15/40. Other than than good report. Steve based on the copper reading is this a LT1?

Ojust
Steve91T
QUOTE (Ojustracing @ Jun 22 2016, 11:25 AM) *
Silicon is a little high. Hows the air filter/intake system? Also Blackstone mentioned 5-40 when it had 15-40 in it? Oil looks a little thin for 15/40. Other than than good report. Steve based on the copper reading is this a LT1?

Ojust

Yep. Junkyard LT1. I'm using a Moroso cold air intake mounted in the left front bumper.

T6 is 5/40. Sorry, I made a mistake.
dailydriver
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jun 21 2016, 07:01 PM) *
QUOTE (79T/A @ Jun 21 2016, 06:43 PM) *
What oil?

Rotella T6. Synthetic 5w40 diesel oil. I use it in my Powerstroke, 5.7 Merc boat, M3...I think I even put it in my lawn mower.

Yes, it IS a 'stout' oil. (I guess that's why it seems to be the oil of choice for all of those over-boosted, crazy power, STI track and time attack cars.)

I would only expect the Red Line 40 weights to be that much more stout yet, and handle those temps for an even greater length of time. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.