Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1994 Camaro 1LE Steering Rack replacement
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
ESP125
Hi, I am feeling a slight bit of play on the passenger side steering linkage at the ball joint on my 94 1LE. I don't believe it is a worn ball joint because I can see the play in the shaft coming out of the rack. Apparently, the 1LE for this particular year (maybe others) have a different rack than the Z28s. Does anyone out there know where I can get an exact replacement steering rack or where I can get mine rebuilt?
WarShrike
Maybe contact Turn One. You'd have to send it in to them, they probably won't have one on hand to send out and wait for your core.
Shortcutsleeping
I'd do a lot of research first on the 1LE kit for that year as I'm under the impression the rack was a normal z28 rack.

On the cheap and quick, I'd say put the front end up in the air and rotate the steering wheel from one stop to the other and get an exact turn count. Perhaps someone else on the board can do the same with a normal Z28 and ya'll can compare. From my notes (and I helped a buddy order a 95 1LE) the 4th gen cars all had normal z28 racks.

Costas
cars and such...
ESP125
I spoke with original owner who had replaced it once before and he had told me that the 1LE was different. He couldn't remember who he had done the rebuild/replacement.
QUOTE (Shortcutsleeping @ Sep 8 2016, 11:26 AM) *
I'd do a lot of research first on the 1LE kit for that year as I'm under the impression the rack was a normal z28 rack.

On the cheap and quick, I'd say put the front end up in the air and rotate the steering wheel from one stop to the other and get an exact turn count. Perhaps someone else on the board can do the same with a normal Z28 and ya'll can compare. From my notes (and I helped a buddy order a 95 1LE) the 4th gen cars all had normal z28 racks.

Costas
cars and such...
ESP125
QUOTE (WarShrike @ Sep 8 2016, 12:05 AM) *
Maybe contact Turn One. You'd have to send it in to them, they probably won't have one on hand to send out and wait for your core.

Thank you for that. I will contact them and see what they have to say.
Pranav
TurnOne will set you up well.

I found it's easiest to order a used junkyard pull off rack on eBay (auction with pics of car/rack) and ship it to them direct, once/if you've confirmed that you in fact have a standard z28 rack.

Beware of v6 racks, they are not the same. The one you want is 2.25 turns lock to lock, the v6 racks are typically 2.75 (there may have been v6 racks out there with the 2.25 turn racks, but not many if so). I forgot the RPO codes (FE2, F41, or something)

Also make sure you stick with the 93-97 range on racks. 98+ have the steering input shaft at a 45* angle to clear the LS1 alternator; LT1 racks are at 60*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.