Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on 6LE's new hood???
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Steve91T
http://6ledesigns.com/product/1998-2002-ca...ggressive-hood/

I like it. I wonder how it would do on a race track.
CrashTestDummy
And it does what?
Steve91T
I wonder if the air passing through the scoop and out the back would create a low pressure area and help extract hot air from the engine bay. And maybe it'll also allow the radiator to be more effective?

I'd never pay that kind of money though.
trackbird
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jan 7 2017, 12:02 AM) *
I wonder if the air passing through the scoop and out the back would create a low pressure area and help extract hot air from the engine bay. And maybe it'll also allow the radiator to be more effective?

I'd never pay that kind of money though.

All I see is something to limit visibility. I had a 2001 SS and the hood buldge is in the middle of your field of vision....as compared to the Z28 where you can basically only see the wipers.

There is a high pressure zone at the base of the windshield. Adding high pressure from the front is likely to result in cooling issues. I fought something similar with the cowl hood on my 1992 Z28. The car wouldn't cool. It had a huge AFCO aluminum radiator in it and it was only about 370 hp, but it was running 242 degrees (and climbing) at Nashville Superspeedway. I finally realized the air at the windshield is being forced into the hood and pressurizing the engine bay enough to limit airflow through the radiator. We capped this with ABS plastic and that hood is now on Racerdad's car. He has a Griffen radiator (as I remember) that's probably not quite as much radiator as my AFCO was, and he's making 500-600 hp...the car cools fine.

Your results may vary. wink.gif
SuperMacGuy
It's super tall. Design and corners look OK in the pix, but the edge fit/panel gap to the body panels looks poor. The design is pretty decent, I'd say it looks like 85% of a good, integrated factory design. Not a fan of the "SLP" sticker placement, if that's part of it.
79T/A
You wouldn't be able to see a damn thing with that hood. I love the look of the VFN Sunoco hood, but I hated how it blocked so much visibility. If you want to remove hot air from the engine bay, and reduce front lift - a proper hood vent would be MUCH cheaper and more effective.
Steve91T
Idk. The opening in the rear is actually higher than the base of the windshield. I wonder where how high up the windshield you have to go to get away from that high pressure area.

Either way, I think it's cool that someone is still making stuff for these cars. And I like that he is trying something new.
trackbird
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jan 7 2017, 06:43 PM) *
Idk. The opening in the rear is actually higher than the base of the windshield. I wonder where how high up the windshield you have to go to get away from that high pressure area.

Either way, I think it's cool that someone is still making stuff for these cars. And I like that he is trying something new.

Probably almost to the roof. I'm glad to see support for these cars too, but I wanted to make sure nobody decided it would help with cooling.

If you imagine a bulldozer and the dirt it pushes up. The windshield is about like that, but with the blade raked back some. The air "piles up" in front of it and looks for a low pressure place to go. It's either forced over the car or forced into the engine compartment if it takes less energy than going over the car.
KCG
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 7 2017, 07:27 PM) *
Probably almost to the roof. I'm glad to see support for these cars too, but I wanted to make sure nobody decided it would help with cooling.

If you imagine a bulldozer and the dirt it pushes up. The windshield is about like that, but with the blade raked back some. The air "piles up" in front of it and looks for a low pressure place to go. It's either forced over the car or forced into the engine compartment if it takes less energy than going over the car.

Do you think a cowl hood has any negative affect on cooling at AX speeds?
trackbird
QUOTE (KCG @ Jan 9 2017, 02:55 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 7 2017, 07:27 PM) *

Do you think a cowl hood has any negative affect on cooling at AX speeds?

My 3rd gen overheated autocrossing. We used to spray the radiator between runs with a bug sprayer full of water to cool it off. This was with a rather large air dam on the bottom (we extended the stock air dam with ABS plastic and it still wouldn't cool). It had a 3,000 CFM fan on the radiator and still couldn't seem to cool down. With two drivers it was all we could do to keep it from melting down.

Your results may vary.
BumpaD_Z28
I like it ! ... and even considered it for awhile, but then weighing the money vs appearance mod only and I've decided against it. (For now!)

~DaVe
Smitty2919
I don't think 6LE makes anything truly functional to the degree that racers need. Only seem to be appearance parts. The ongoing support is good for the community, but for people that frequent THIS forum the parts don't seem beneficial.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.