Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helmet Ventilation
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
99TAToy
I need ideas to pump air into my Stilo STF5 GT helmet which has several air ports, I plan on using all 3. I'm trying to make a cheaper/beter coolshirt air pump setup. I already have some 3/4" Type M copper pipe that I would like to use to (2) coils through a water bath then into my helmet. Any ideas for

1. Cheap alternative to coolshirt 12v air pump?

2. Flexible tubing ~1.5" and ~3/4"

3. Small NACA intake ducts
Steve91T
I was going to do a cool shirt set up but realized it was pointless. I sweat my ass off from the time I start getting the car ready until the time I crawl into bed Sunday night. But what I hate is sweating inside my helmet. So I bought a Simpson helmet with a single inlet on top. I have an inlet that takes air from the rear window area (B pillar) goes thought an inline fan and reduces to the 3/4" hose to my helmet. Because of the restriction from 3" to 3/4", the flow won't blow you away (that was on purpose), but it's something. It's a cool airlow that makes a huge difference. Once the hose fell off my helmet. That was an awful session. I realized how well my helmet blower works.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.
99TAToy
Yeah, that's exactly what I want to do. I sweat like crazy. I give myself about 2 hours in a desert survival situation.

I don't need pictures, but a part # for the blower would be great.
Steve91T
I completely forgot about this. Have you done anything yet?

I just have a 3" inline blower (probabky for brakes) and it reduces to the 1" line for the helmet. Last weekend when I was at Roebling Road while staging, I was the only one with my visor down and my blower on. I absolutely love it. I have a Simpson helmet that blows air on top of my head, onto my face and I believe in the mouth area. The inlet is in the rear of the drivers window so it gets cool air. There's also some ram air effect. When it's cooler outside I don't have to turn the fan on, the ram air is enough for some airflow. When it starts getting warmer out, I just flip the fan on.

The only problem I ran into was because I did two full session without the fan on, apparently a bunch of dead grass got into the vent hose. I discovered this going down the front stretch at 130 MPH when I flipped the fan on and my helmet filled with grass. It got into my eyes, up my nose, in my mouth....it was pretty funny. So now I "purge" the system before putting my helmet on.

I'll post some pictures later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.