Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI ready camaro vs. high mileage C5z06
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
GNC Rick
Would like some input. Trying to decide whether my money is better spent on a basically race ready 4th gen LS car or for the same money...$12k...or a super high mileage c5 z06. I'm not racing or time trialing. I want a fun low maintenance track car to do HPDE weekends. Which would be more fun in, which might be faster. My closest track is the world reknown VIR. I have lots of seat time on that track, full course. Street driving is no concern of mine, I trailer my cars. Any input would be appreciated ! Thanks
trackbird
The Z06 will be the faster track car. But HDPE is "practice" and you can't win practice. Meaning, you don't have to have the fastest car there, you have to have a reliable car that works and doesn't break. Maintenance is likely cheaper and easier on the Camaro, but the Z06 is the more capable track rat. So...what are your goals?
CrashTestDummy
Price out new shocks and a bushing replacement for that Z. Maybe even a clutch replacement, if the miles are all on that same drivetrain. Still, almost everyone I talk to, even on this list say "I should have just taken my money and dropped it on a Z".

As much as I hate to say it, you're unlikely to be passed by much in a C5 Z.
trackbird
I'm leaning towards a C5Z for my next toy. But I know all about the clutch jobs and the Corvette tax.
Shortcutsleeping
QUOTE (trackbird @ Apr 8 2017, 06:34 PM) *
So...what are your goals?

This.

Are you trying to win the HPDE National Championships or are you wanting to go w2w racing?

Costas
cars and such...
CrashTestDummy
C5 Z06's are still north o $10k?!?
GNC Rick
My goal is to have fun. I can time myself. Don't want to race. Both cars are $12k ..the camaro is done but the Z06 would need refreshing. I'm in HPDE 3 for a while now, should be in 4 and eventually instruct. Cost of maintenance is also a consideration.
Smitty2919
QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Apr 8 2017, 10:29 PM) *
C5 Z06's are still north o $10k?!?

If they weren't, I'd have one LOL

It seems $15k-$20k gets you a nice, unmolested C5Z

I've been on the fence about this too. I know the C5Z will be much more capable mod for mod. But each mod will be more money than a 4th Gen. And I'm like to OP, just want a fun reliable car to rip around in. No serious racing goals...yet.

So my latest brilliant idea is to go ape shit on my 95 Z28 (built motor w/ E85 and every suspension part I can, fairly gutted interior and some aero) and drop money on a newer 4 door 4x4 diesel truck. Gives my wife and I room to grow in terms of me getting an enclosed car trailer and her a bigger horse trailer. Truck would be my DD.
CrashTestDummy
Well, on the plus side, you could probably drive the Z06 on the street, if you ever need something in an emergency. BUT, you'll also need to have insurance on it. If there's an issue with the Camaro, you could just park it on the trailer until you get time/funds to fix it.
Smitty2919
OP if you are not out to win any races and want cheap fun and like to tinker, maybe the Camaro (but would keep it street legal...or make i street legal if it's not already).

If this is strictly a nice weather/track toy...I'd lean C5Z with shocks/springs/swaybars and tires.
mikedamageinc
Why not a base c5? It's a middle ground that will be cheaper than a Z, but not too much more than an Fbody. Parts will still be more though. You will still get more out of it than an fbody too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.