Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I neee to put AC back in...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Steve91T
The PO removed the AC from the firewall forward when it started leaking. I have a box full of the old parts but I'm not sure if I want to use them. Maybe the compressor is ok?

What do you think the best way to do this would be? I'm hoping to not spend a fortune.

This is for the 172k mile 2000 1SC.

Thanks!
trackbird
Make sure the parts aren't full of cob webs (have a shop clean them?) and put fresh o-rings on everything (you can buy a bulk pack of AC o rings for $8 at NAPA) and reassemble it. Pull a vacuum on it and make sure it holds, then charge it (don't forget to start with an oil charge, or you'll trash the compressor in short order). Replace the evaporator/dryer (round silver canister) and the orifice tube (usually $40 for the evaporator and $5 for the orifice tube....give or take a bit).

You'll need an AC vacuum pump. I have one, and Harbor Freight sells one. I don't know if you can rent one anywhere or not? It's handy to verify that it's holding vacuum before paying a shop to do that part and finding out that it's leaking and they spent 8 hours (and $600 in labor) trying to seal it up.
CrashTestDummy
Does the compressor turn smoothly?

What Kevin said. Make _certain_ you have the right amount of oil for the entire system (the FSM lists what part requires how much oil), or as Kevin says, the compressor will burn up quickly.

What started leaking? Something leaking freon? Condensate leaking into the floorboard?
Steve91T
I have no idea what happened to the AC before it was removed. I think he said it was leaking freon. I know the lines going into the firewall are capped. Ill get the rest of the parts out and start checking them out.

Or would it be worth it to just let an AC shop check them out?
nape
QUOTE (Steve91T @ Aug 1 2017, 02:11 PM) *
Or would it be worth it to just let an AC shop check them out?

Doubt it unless you can find a good ol' boy AC shop. Shops around here won't touch used parts unless they're already installed in the vehicle.

Kevin's advice is spot on in my experience. You can usually rent vacuum pumps and manifolds at chain parts stores. If it's a beater, I don't even worry about the vacuum.
CrashTestDummy
But if you want it to last, vacuum it. And don't scrimp on the compressor oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.