Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel vertical play???
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Steve91T
I notice a slight clunk in the rear end, especially in the right rear. I found that I have some vertical play that clunks, Seems to be coming from the hub area.

Wheel bearings? This is a stock 10 bolt.

Thanks.
Unbalanced Engineering
Sounds like wheel bearings. If the clunk and play is strictly in--out then its just the normal C clip play. If there is any up -- down play its wheel bearing time.

HTH,
Jason
CrashTestDummy
And probably an axle. dry.gif
SuperMacGuy
Any growling noise going around corners? Thats a bearing.
Steve91T
No noise at all. I'm not sold that it's the bearings. But it sounds like that's the only possibility.

Both wheels do it, just a little worse on the right. I thought it was a bushing, but I couldn't see anything moving.
Steve91T
Now that I think about it, I do have a noise. But I thought it was just the tires. It's probably the bearings.
mikedamageinc
I've noticed a little play even in good bearings. I replaced brings and some yukon axles last year and could still move it a little. Not as noticeable when everything is mounted up. It was either Timken or National bearings so unless they were bad from the start, driving is fine though.
Steve91T
I drove the car for about 45 minutes on the highway yesterday. I think they are making noise. I just thought the noise was the tires.

I'm just going to have a shop replace the bearings. Should they go through the rest of the axle? About how much should this cost?
Unbalanced Engineering
You should be able to see wear / pitting on the axles if they need to be replaced. And the cost will depend on the vendor / quality.

Thanks,
Jason
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.