Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monsoon speakers
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
00 SS
I have a blown speaker and was going to just buy new ones. I've been told that aftermarket speakers won't work with the Monsoon system. Has anyone had any luck replacing speakers? Also, if any one who's gutted their car has any for sale, I may be interested.
trackbird
Look at Key Audio. They sell an upgraded set of replacement speakers that are compatible with the needs of the monsoon system. I bought a set 3 years ago and never installed them. They are still in the garage in boxes (but I got the convertible package, it has different rear speakers than the coupe setup). They look to be extremely well built speakers, but I haven't actually bothered to hook them up.

http://www.keeaudio.com/
00 SS
Those look great. I think I'll call them Monday. Did you talk to them, are they good folks? Which level set did you order?
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 11 2020, 10:06 PM) *
Those look great. I think I'll call them Monday. Did you talk to them, are they good folks? Which level set did you order?

I did the hybrid setup that doesn't have just woofers in the back. It's full range but has better front speakers. So it was the second setup with the rear speakers from the first setup (instead of just rear woofers). They are very well built speakers. I used to be a car stereo installer and I did competitions back in my youth and I'm pretty familiar with high end speakers. These are solid speakers. Not the nicest I've ever had, but better than about 90-95% of them (as far as construction goes).

1.) CDT Audio KA-61CV.2 Cast frame, carbon fiber component Speaker System (front doors)
2.) CDT Audio CL-6CX.2 (rear seats) comes with spacers for rear speakers

00 SS
I was thinking I liked the looks of the 2.5 kit. Not sure why, but seems like the best value to me.
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 01:33 PM) *
I was thinking I liked the looks of the 2.5 kit. Not sure why, but seems like the best value to me.

They had some other packages when I ordered my stuff (as I remember), but they were great to deal with. I actually went to their site and found they have a passengers side subwoofer setup for a convertible. I emailed to ask for information about it. I may try one. I emailed with them about the speakers I bought and they were fast and efficient to deal with when I last talked to them.

Maybe I need to get those installed.... wink.gif
00 SS
Yeah! Do it tomorrow and let me know if the sound as good as they seem like they should.😎
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 07:06 PM) *
Yeah! Do it tomorrow and let me know if the sound as good as they seem like they should.😎

Considering I built a house, moved and now I'm a good ways through finishing the basement....and I've had the speakers sitting the whole time (they even moved with me to the new house, still in boxes....with the spacers stacked on top of them that are needed for installation). So, I might not hold my breath. lol.
00 SS
Is that the second or third move some I've been in this board? We've been in this same house since 2005.
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 12 2020, 11:36 PM) *
Is that the second or third move some I've been in this board? We've been in this same house since 2005.

I was stuck in the last house for 14 years. I got divorced and then the market crashed and I was stuck until the market came back. So this is the first move from house to a new house. I think I was in an apartment when I purchased this board. So that would make this my 2nd move, 3rd address since I've owned the board. But I don't move too often.

I emailed Kee Audio and asked about their convertible sub enclosure. He advised that you have to remove the spare tire (nope) but he also has a 7" diameter sub tube that will fit up on the rear "package shelf" (above the gas tank, but in the convertible there's a plastic part there to protect the top when it's down). It looks like it could be attached with a "belt" and not take up too much space. I didn't know about it, but he mentioned it when he replied to my email today.
00 SS
Cool, sounds like you have a plan for the vert. I just want good quality replacements while keeping a stock look. If the sound quality improves over what it was new as well, that's a bonus.
BryanL
I have some speakers you could have if you covered the shipping. I have never heard them but they look okay. Think it's just two for the rear but would have to look.
00 SS
Thanks Bryan, I may take you up on that. I want to talk to the Kee Audio guys first. Upgrades are very tempting.
00 SS
I order the Kee Audio level 2.5 kit. Just finished install. Sounds way better, but I had 2 blown speakers, so that wasn't a big accomplishment. However it does sound better than I ever remember it sounding and I'm happy with it. Install took a while, but I took my time and got it done. Not too hard, just tedious at times.
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 26 2020, 06:39 PM) *
I order the Kee Audio level 2.5 kit. Just finished install. Sounds way better, but I had 2 blown speakers, so that wasn't a big accomplishment. However it does sound better than I ever remember it sounding and I'm happy with it. Install took a while, but I took my time and got it done. Not too hard, just tedious at times.

Nice. Is there sufficient bass output? I was afraid of losing all the low end. Not that the monsoon system puts out good bass, but it puts out "something".
00 SS
There is more low end than stock. I suppose "sufficient" is subjective, but it's enough for me. The biggest difference seems to be that it can go much louder cleanly without just sounding like shit. I was a bit surprised to see that the rear side panels in the cargo area were set up for component speakers even though the factory never installed them. They tape over the tweeter hole, The kit I bought just had the coax 4", but they do offer a component speaker for the rear.
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 26 2020, 11:52 PM) *
There is more low end than stock. I suppose "sufficient" is subjective, but it's enough for me. The biggest difference seems to be that it can go much louder cleanly without just sounding like shit. I was a bit surprised to see that the rear side panels in the cargo area were set up for component speakers even though the factory never installed them. They tape over the tweeter hole, The kit I bought just had the coax 4", but they do offer a component speaker for the rear.

I laughed when I saw the rear speaker locations too. The Trans Am had 10 speakers instead of 8, I wondered if they used those openings.

Guess I better get mine installed soon then.
00 SS
Get them installed yet? Just guessing that you had some time off for the holidays like I did. Should only take an afternoon to do.
trackbird
QUOTE (00 SS @ Dec 31 2020, 11:33 PM) *
Get them installed yet? Just guessing that you had some time off for the holidays like I did. Should only take an afternoon to do.

I was off work for a few weeks (I spent Thanksgiving week in the hospital with Covid) and I've been working a pile of overtime since I came back in an effort to get caught up (I'm "months" behind at work). The bigger issue is that I can't get the doors open in the garage without moving some stuff. Once I can get the doors open, it shouldn't be too bad. I was a professional car stereo installer in college and I was an avionics technician/installer after that. This is nothing I can't handle....as soon as I get time (I"ll pencil it in for 2022, you don't want to rush these things. lol).
GCrites80s
Wow, glad to see you made it through Covid. Sounds pretty serious if you were in the hospital for a week.
00 SS
I'm glad you made it through as well. It can be very bad, I lost a cousin in April to it.
trackbird
QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jan 1 2021, 03:45 PM) *
Wow, glad to see you made it through Covid. Sounds pretty serious if you were in the hospital for a week.

I got through the first week ok (while my wife was quite ill), as we should have been getting over it I finally got a fever and started to feel worse each day. I got a slight fever Friday (my wife was ill Monday night and we were exposed together) and by Tuesday I was off work and doing doctors visits, Wednesday I was in the hospital. They kept me over Thanksgiving and I talked them into letting me out on Saturday night after lots of rounds of IV drugs and plasma and other things. I had a bad case of Pneumonia in both lungs that caused my oxygen levels to plummet. I avoided the ventilator but wound up on oxygen and lots of drugs.

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jan 1 2021, 07:46 PM) *
I'm glad you made it through as well. It can be very bad, I lost a cousin in April to it.

Thanks. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. That's becoming an all too common occurrence.

We have been super careful all year. My wife has some health issues that we feared would put her in the hospital if we caught it. Since we weren't going out, we started finishing the basement in July. Some friends have been helping me with it. One friend helped me frame it and hang drywall and we work together too. So he was over every weekend and he was also careful. Another friend grew up doing drywall for a living. He was helping me finish it. He had lunch with his dad who had a "cold" and we can account for 11 people who got it from that lunch. We had done about 6 rounds of drywall finishing together. He wasn't sick when he got here. I don't blame him. We're still friends and going to finish this and hang out. It just highlights the danger of having anybody in your "bubble". It's a gamble, how lucky do you feel?

We are over it and long since through the quarantine period and working on feeling well enough to get back to work on the basement.

Stay safe.

And, yes....I need to go install my speakers. wink.gif
CrashTestDummy
QUOTE (trackbird @ Jan 2 2021, 11:13 AM) *
QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jan 1 2021, 03:45 PM) *

I got through the first week ok (while my wife was quite ill), as we should have been getting over it I finally got a fever and started to feel worse each day. I got a slight fever Friday (my wife was ill Monday night and we were exposed together) and by Tuesday I was off work and doing doctors visits, Wednesday I was in the hospital. They kept me over Thanksgiving and I talked them into letting me out on Saturday night after lots of rounds of IV drugs and plasma and other things. I had a bad case of Pneumonia in both lungs that caused my oxygen levels to plummet. I avoided the ventilator but wound up on oxygen and lots of drugs.

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jan 1 2021, 07:46 PM) *

Thanks. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. That's becoming an all too common occurrence.

We have been super careful all year. My wife has some health issues that we feared would put her in the hospital if we caught it. Since we weren't going out, we started finishing the basement in July. Some friends have been helping me with it. One friend helped me frame it and hang drywall and we work together too. So he was over every weekend and he was also careful. Another friend grew up doing drywall for a living. He was helping me finish it. He had lunch with his dad who had a "cold" and we can account for 11 people who got it from that lunch. We had done about 6 rounds of drywall finishing together. He wasn't sick when he got here. I don't blame him. We're still friends and going to finish this and hang out. It just highlights the danger of having anybody in your "bubble". It's a gamble, how lucky do you feel?

We are over it and long since through the quarantine period and working on feeling well enough to get back to work on the basement.

Stay safe.

And, yes....I need to go install my speakers. wink.gif

Man, glad to know you're on the mend. Yeah, that's bad sh*t. We haven't been to an autocross event since last March, and were contemplating going tomorrow for the first event of the year, since there's administratively so much more to do the first couple of events. When we were discussing whether or not to go, my codriver noted that 'nothing has changed' WRT the virus or treatment, to which I had to agree. We're older now, and there's no way of knowing how you'll react if you get it, so we're taking the safe route and hiding in the shop doing projects (I've made great progress on the SVO restomod project lately).

My codriver got her first dose of the vaccine on Christmas Eve, but me, nope, just hunkering down. Hopefully, we can make it out in February.

I remember Turbo Toddie having trouble looking for replacement speakers for his black TA many years ago. I don't think there were any viable options then for the Monsoon system. Good to know there are some options now.
trackbird
It's been a rough few weeks, but we are doing well now. We've had friends get it and we've seen people who had no symptoms, some who had a "cold", some who felt like they had the flu or bronchitis (and felt pretty awful), all the way up to bad pneumonia and hospital stays (me). These are all people we know first hand (not just stuff we saw on TV).

There are a lot of people who think this is a hoax, and that it won't hurt anybody...and some of them get lucky. Some of them don't, and by the time they find out, it's too late.
GCrites80s
I had two co-workers that had to go into quarantine during the Christmas rush due to family members coming down with it. We're all pretty worn out after covering their hours. Neither tested positive though.
trackbird
QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jan 3 2021, 05:08 PM) *
I had two co-workers that had to go into quarantine during the Christmas rush due to family members coming down with it. We're all pretty worn out after covering their hours. Neither tested positive though.

My wife tested positive on a Tuesday (we got the results a few days later). The following Tuesday I was at the doctor with double pneumonia and feeling awful and we knew that I had it....I tested negative. The next morning, I was in the hospital and I tested positive. I don't know how I could have tested negative the first night, but I did...or it wasn't a good test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.