Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Separate "read" tracking for each forum?
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Administrative > Site Suggestions and Comments
Unbalanced Engineering
Would it be possible to have separate tracking for each forum so that if you check one forum during a session, the others would not toggle to read. This would allow one to catch up on other forums later and still easily determine which threads they had not looked at. Thanks.

Jason S.
Chris 96 WS6
I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking, but it sounds do-able. But I'm not a programmer so actual implementation is a bit of an obstacle at this point.

If anybody on here is familiar with php language, I could use some help on some architectural issues around here.
Unbalanced Engineering
Hey Chris,

Just wanted to clarify. I was requesting that the site track which forums you have actually entered to determine which messages have been read. When I jump on to look at a PM, the site assumes that I've read all the posts, which I may not have. This makes it more diffucult later to determine which messages I have or have not looked at. No rush, as it obviously isn't a show stopper. Thanks.

Jason S.
LWillmann
I think I understand what you're asking for, and I don't think the design of the board will allow it. I went through most of the code yesterday to add the Location to the member's info on the posts.

I'll look into that when I can get some time to dig into it for you though.

Just to make sure I'm clear on it:

Come to site and log in.
Go into forum 1 read messages
Go into PM box and read

Currently all forums would show read I guess?
New way only forum 1 would show read and the other would show new messages, right?
Chris 96 WS6
This might have something to do with the forum Icons, the little spark plugs. There are nearly a dozen combinations of folders in the original setup, read, unread, hot read, hot unread, etc. etc.

In implementing the spark plugs I may have oversimplified the system...reason being I only have like 4 or so plug .gifs so some of them serve more than one purpose.

Or are we talking about once you go into a forum, you want it to record what threads have been read and which ones you haven't read? I guess I thought it did that already with the various folders.
Unbalanced Engineering
Actually what happens to me is that I log on to read a PM and maybe one forum. Then the next time I log in, everything older than the last login is marked as read. Again, not a huge deal, so if the code change is a PIA, skip it. Thanks for looking into it in any case.

Jason S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.