Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change search default to forever...
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Administrative > Site Suggestions and Comments
sgarnett
Several here seem to be in a "Search Nazi" mood at the moment (ain't sayin' they're wrong), and that is probably off-putting to every newbie who wanders in, tries a default search, and then makes the mistake of posting a question (though we're kinder and gentler about it than c-c).

Why not change the default to forever? It seems to work for c-c wink.gif Sure, it may bring back a flood of info, but that will certainly provide the feedback that there's lot's of info out there to read. Personally, I almost always set it to forever anyway, and narrow my topic by keywords instead of date. I know where to find the threads from last week that I'm interested in; it's the stuff from last year (and so on) that I'm usually searching for.
John_D.
Sounds good to me. I often forget to change it, until I don't find what I'm looking for, and then it hits me... And I'm familiar with it. Probably even easier for newer folks to miss it.
trackbird
I'll look again, but I don't think I can change it in this version of the software. The new version (that didn't work) had a much better equipped admin panel (and may allow it). If not, we're considering a switch to Vbulletin (it appears to be able to update and convert from this software to theirs). However, after the last upgrade attempt, that may be a little ways off.

I'll go look again.
robz71lm7
QUOTE (sgarnett @ Jan 27 2006, 12:01)
Several here seem to be in a "Search Nazi" mood at the moment (ain't sayin' they're wrong), and that is probably off-putting to every newbie who wanders in, tries a default search, and then makes the mistake of posting a question (though we're kinder and gentler about it than c-c).

Sean you can just come out and say it's me. laugh.gif

At times I do feel bad about it since the search here works, but is quirky. I also realize not everyone is "internet saavy." Some of it depends on how good the question is at the same time.

I'm really hoping for vbulletin, but that will be difficult for Kevin. However, in the long term, we will probably move there eventually.
trackbird
QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Jan 31 2006, 07:45)
I'm really hoping for vbulletin, but that will be difficult for Kevin. However, in the long term, we will probably move there eventually.

It's not out of the question. If we can get this software to update to the new version (which didn't go so well last time), a change is a possibility. It appears that it will/should update from invisiboard, I'll be looking into it.
sgarnett
QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Jan 31 2006, 07:45)
Sean you can just come out and say it's me. laugh.gif

Well, it's not JUST you tongue.gif

And (for anyone who remembers the solopony kinder and gentler experiment at another site), I'm not suggesting that some prodding isn't warranted at times wink.gif
patred
QUOTE (sgarnett @ Jan 27 2006, 10:01)

In the 3rd gen springs thread, I thought it was weird I couldn't find that original thread. Searched "springs" and my username since I know I posted in it. Then figured out I was only searching the past 30 days. unsure.gif

So, yes, "forever" would be a good default. smile.gif

Pat
trackbird
QUOTE (patred @ Jan 31 2006, 08:27)
So, yes, "forever" would be a good default. smile.gif

Pat

I don't have an option in the admin page. It would have to be "hard coded (if that's even possible). So, I'm stuck (until we upgrade/change software).

Sorry guys.

Ahh, the Solopony experiment. I even voted to keep him on the island. He seemed to be on the right path and then POOF, he blew it..... Ah well, some men you just can't teach...... banghead.gif
Chris 96 WS6
Vbulletin rocks! You will not be disappointed if you make the switch.

Otherwise I'd say if you can find the .php file that governs the search page you can probably manually change the default search timespan.

I'm no coder but I don't think it would be that hard to find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.