Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a 82 fiberglass hood installed
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
axoid
Over the weekend I picked up one of the mythic 1982 factory fiberglass hoods. Got it installed tonight. It needs a little repair and repainted, but isn't too bad of shape for something 25 years old. It's ugly as hell right now, but I'm going to rattle can paint it flat black until I ready to have it painted to match the car.
slowcamaro
I need to find one myself. My 82 had an iroc hood on when I bought it, now its wearing the flat hood.
trackbird
Wow, what it lacks in weight (if any), it sure makes up for in UGLY..... It might be better when it's painted..... I sure hope so. wink.gif
axoid
QUOTE (slowcamaro @ Oct 18 2006, 06:36 PM) *
I need to find one myself. My 82 had an iroc hood on when I bought it, now its wearing the flat hood.

I know of another guy that has one for sale in Missouri and I resently saw one on Ebay around Philly.

QUOTE (trackbird @ Oct 18 2006, 07:18 PM) *
Wow, what it lacks in weight (if any), it sure makes up for in UGLY..... It might be better when it's painted..... I sure hope so. wink.gif

It's about half the weight of the stock steel hood. Maybe 30-35 lbs. less.
trackbird
QUOTE (axoid @ Oct 18 2006, 09:44 PM) *
It's about half the weight of the stock steel hood. Maybe 30-35 lbs. less.

Well then, it will look just fine when it's painted. wink.gif
CrashTestDummy
On a sort of related topic,

I picked up an aftermarket 'glass bolt-on hood from a friend for our 3rd Gen. The reason we got it was because the hood supports were apparently weak when my friend was working under the hood. He had a tool sticking up off the engine and turned away to get another tool when the hood dropped on the tool. There is a crack in the middle of the hood.

Does anyone know how easy it is to repair such a crack/hole, and how well it will hide under paint? With the exception of the necessary hood pins in the corners, it looks like a stock flat hood.

Thanks.
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (axoid @ Oct 18 2006, 08:11 PM) *
Over the weekend I picked up one of the mythic 1982 factory fiberglass hoods. Got it installed tonight. It needs a little repair and repainted, but isn't too bad of shape for something 25 years old. It's ugly as hell right now, but I'm going to rattle can paint it flat black until I ready to have it painted to match the car.

Paint won't make it faster! My Car

I have trouble getting mine to sit down far enough. I had to adjust my hood latch down all the way, now I have trouble opening the hood.

I was wondering if there are special rubber bushings that are needed with these hoods? Maybe someone here will know.
axoid
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Oct 25 2006, 09:12 PM) *
Paint won't make it faster! My Car

I have trouble getting mine to sit down far enough. I had to adjust my hood latch down all the way, now I have trouble opening the hood.

I was wondering if there are special rubber bushings that are needed with these hoods? Maybe someone here will know.

Your flat black hood looks good.

The hood is fitting pretty good on my car, although it is a little low in the middle along the fender on the drivers side.

A local body shop said that they could strip the current paint, fix the cracks and paint it to match the car for $350. Paint may not make it faster, but it at least won't look like a junker. smile.gif
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (axoid @ Oct 26 2006, 06:33 AM) *
Paint may not make it faster, but it at least won't look like a junker. smile.gif

Easy now! Wanna race? biggrin.gif
axoid
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Oct 26 2006, 07:23 AM) *
Paint may not make it faster, but it at least won't look like a junker. smile.gif

Bring it on. biggrin.gif

trackbird
QUOTE (axoid @ Oct 26 2006, 11:32 AM) *
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Oct 26 2006, 07:23 AM) *

Bring it on. biggrin.gif

Please PM your bets to the admin. I'll hold all money until this is settled..... ph34r.gif
StanIROCZ
We'll have to wait until next spring.

I'd like to go to Mid Ohio sometime. You been there? Or do you just race in parking lots?
axoid
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Oct 26 2006, 10:02 AM) *

I'd like to go to Mid Ohio sometime. You been there? Or do you just race in parking lots?

I've open tracked at Mid-Ohio a couple of times and once a IRP. I like Mid-Ohio better.

But most of my time is in parking lots.
StanIROCZ
QUOTE (axoid @ Oct 26 2006, 02:18 PM) *
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ Oct 26 2006, 10:02 AM) *

I've open tracked at Mid-Ohio a couple of times and once a IRP. I like Mid-Ohio better.

But most of my time is in parking lots.

Hey well let me know if there is an open track day at Mid OH and I'll plan for it. I love going to new tracks. Loser buys beer?

I got my glass hood off Ebay for $35. I couldn't believe it. No one else bid on it. I was ready to shell out $150-$200 for it. The only problem was that I didn't have a truck at the time so I borrowed my buddys. I figured I'd be a good friend and fill it up with gas since he let me borrow it. So I started pumping gas and went inside to use the restroom. To my suprise the pump was still running when I got back out! $67 in gas and it wasn't even full yet banghead.gif So all in all my hood cost me $100 which is still a good deal IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.