IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.com
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I drove a Mini Cooper S last night, It's like a go cart for big kids
trackbird
post Jan 3 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

My wife has been looking at Mini Cooper's lately. Unfortunately, the Mini dealer didn't want her VW very badly (50% depreciation in 1.5 years and 25k miles?).

It was wet out and I kept the test drive short, but I really liked it (Cooper S). Actually, I liked it more than I thought I really would. It could use a bit more power, but it wasn't a pig (it's not a Camaro either). The handling was reasonably crisp and it was a bit go cart like. I found myself thinking that I could possibly live with one of those as a daily driver. And, tires and such for autocross will be considerably cheaper than my current ride. I'm really thinking that I should take another look at these. It's small, and really rather fun to drive.

She won't be buying one for a while, but....I could probably sell the Z at this point..... :leaving:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jan 3 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

I know several folks around here who were open tracking Z06s, sold them and went the MC route, simply because of the economics ...

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 3 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Collo Rosso

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 839

Mini Coopers are boatloads of fun. I've driven a lot of them and just make sure you get one with a diff. They really like to spin the inside tire. They have just about the best resale value out there, too.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 3 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #4

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I think one of the things that appealed to me is that you can "beat on it" and not have to worry about tickets.

For example, I recently drove my friends 1999 Civic SI (8,500 rpm redline/160 hp). I had tried this car in traffic in Columbus, OH and hated it (no torque and didn't get moving until 5k). However, on the backroads around Summit Point (actually up in Martinsburg, but they are all similar) it's a riot. I can hammer it through the first two gears and just be reaching the speed limit. You can work the gearbox and the motor and not be doing 80-ish at the top of 2nd gear. The Cooper S was the same way, I could run it through a couple gears and not be doing 100+ mph. Though I must admit that after 6,000 rpm, Honda actually got the sound track right. The car develops a throaty growl (not real throaty, more of a nice alto) that is fun to listen to (even if it's not real fast).

My biggest problem (to some extent) with the Camaro as a daily driver is that it's "too fast" to have any real fun with on the street. You run it through 1st and 2nd and part of the way into third and you're in the 80-90 mph range. Not that I don't like the power, but a car that lets you row the gearbox can be lots of fun as well, even if it's slower.

I really think I could consider buying a Mini Cooper S to play with (and my wife will kill me since she wants one). Or, I could sell my car, get her a Mini and take the GTI 1.8t (I've already had a GTI, so I really don't want another one).

I'll probably do nothing, but a Mini is tempting.

+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 3 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Experienced Member

Member No.: 317

My wife bought a Mini Cooper last year, and I have driven it quite a bit. She decided to keep her '93 TA, but it has been parked with a toasted clutch since she got the Cooper.

I think the car is fun to drive, but if I start beating on it, my wife beats on me! It is quite nimble on tight, twisty streets. The biggest disappointment is she got one with an auto tranny, since she communtes in stop & go traffic. You can manually shift it, but it's still no where near the same as having a real manual. Every other time I get in the car, I stomp the floor with my left foot trying to find the clutch! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) A car like this really needs a stick.

I think it's a little heavy for it's size; it's loaded with "creature comforts." Her's is not an "S" either, so it's a little lacking in power IMO.

Getting one wouldn't be a bad idea, but don't sell your Camaro unless you're going to replace that with a Z06! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Cal: Jan 3 2006, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
BigEnos
post Jan 3 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Collo Rosso

Member No.: 839

I like the Minis, but I think I'd have to go with something different if I was in the market for a hatchback. Maybe a used Focus SVT or even a new Cobalt SS (oh wait, not a hatchback, eh close enough). Even take a flyer on a Mazda 3 if I liked the way it drove. The Minis are cool for sure, but I'm sick of seeing 35 of them at every autocross I go to I guess. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
killer_bluebird
post Jan 3 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,010

I've seen a couple Cooper S' at the track and hey where hanging with the porche boxers.

I've heard they are very fun to drive but haven't test driven one.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 3 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Well, I'm not planning to run next year in my Camaro, and I probably wouldn't gather up wheels and such that quickly for the Mini either (if I were to buy one (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) ). I'm actually thinking that I'm in the mood for a car that I can just drive and not work on. I've got a ton of money (ok, not as much as some here, but a good bit) in my car and I just don't feel like spending the money on the care and feeding of this beast some days.

But, I'm not in the mood for a car payment, and since I already have one, I'm not in the mood for a different car payment, and that means I'm probably just keeping the Camaro.

Sadly, my friend owned a Focus and had nothing but trouble with it (fuel pump relay/switch kept leaving him stuck places). I really don't like the styling either (personal preference). Cobalt...I don't think GM builds anything I'd buy right now that isn't a Corvette. I might consider a truck, but I have little interest in the rest of their offerings.

They had a nice used (2003) BMW M5 on the lot yesterday. I could get probably get used to that (other than the $53K they wanted for it).

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Jan 3 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

My wife was really interested in a Mini....but she wanted a convertible. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rant.gif) Which I was totally against.

Now the problem of trading a SUV in is non-existant with the depreciation hit you take. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

She has also changed her mind about a million times and is now looking to see what the new Pontiac G6 vert looks and sells for.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Jan 3 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

I drove a Cooper S on the track a year or so back. It was a student's car and he urged me to drive it. I found it twitchy in the turns. I could go from understeer to oversteer very quickly with just small changes to the throttle position. It would take me some time to get used to it.

Overall, it was surprisingly quick. Just not my cup of tea.

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jan 3 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

Let's not forget that a Mini is a SMALL car, if it didn't turn on a dime then there would be something seriously wrong with it. The shorter wheelbase alone dictates this. Lets face it, a Mini's wheelbase is about 3/4's of an F-body.

Personally I like the idea that I can get up to highway speed without shifting 4 or 5 times. You don't have to push an F-body to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. We complain about ricers and how they're screaming all the time, maybe it's because they have to just to keep up.

If there's no good place to shift into second based on course layout I can launch the car in second and still get some wheel spin a few feet out. Once I'm in second gear I rarely need first. Even on slower turns I can keep it in second and have plenty of torque.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 3 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #12

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (slowTA @ Jan 3 2006, 16:18)
Personally I like the idea that I can get up to highway speed without shifting 4 or 5 times.

True, but on a backroad, if you are in and out of gears in an F-body, you are probably going way too fast. And, I agree that it's nice to blend with traffic in a single gear (or nearly so), but there is something to be said for a car you can "drive" and you have to keep cooking a bit to get the job done. Basically, if you lower the limits, you can drive the car 85% and not risk serious jail time.

Think of "bombing down backroads" in an old Toyota van. You can work really hard and not go very quickly at all (but you might feel like you are). That's the extreme example of what I was saying (it can be fun to have to work a bit to go quickly).

Remember, I'm talking about this purely from a street car perspective.

My Camaro is almost too fast to be a fun street car for the occasional back road trip. By the time I'm shifting in and out of a few gears and having fun, I'm approaching 90+, or I would be. So, I just stuff it in 5th and drive home instead and can go plenty fast to get in trouble with no real effort. When the limits are that high, it's tough to actually get to have any fun with it.

I guess part of my thinking of Mini's (and such) is since I've decided not to autocross next year. I just can't justify the cost for 10 days of running (between front bearings, a rear end rebuild/bearings, brake pads, rotors tires, event fees and fuel, I'm looking at close to $2500, or at least $2,000, for 10 days of running events).

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jan 3 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I can see your point, but for a daily driver having to shift more would get old quick.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 3 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #14

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (slowTA @ Jan 3 2006, 16:54)
I can see your point, but for a daily driver having to shift more would get old quick.

Nah, I drive in rush hour traffic in Columbus, OH every day. I shift plenty..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jan 3 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #15

CMCer

Member No.: 194

I have been a passenger instructing in a lot of different Minis, stock, S, modded, they are all very cool. I think they are a blast and would not mind having one! The solid feel of them is really nice.

+Quote Post
Sam Strano
post Jan 4 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #16

Experienced Member

Member No.: 76

Great little cars. My sister and her husband ordered one (under my supervision) last year. It was $22-23 optioned the way I demanded... never know when I might want to run G-stock. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cooper S, LSD, Xenon lights/heated seats, no sunroof, Harman/Kardon, no leather, etc. All the fun stuff, none of the crap. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Fun car, I took it at the end of September and ran 11th on PAX at a Steel Cities event bone stock, right down to the alignment and Dunlop run-flat tires (I added some air).

I'm not all that comfortable in it. Plenty of headroom and legroom. But the width of the hole between the door, console and dash is a bit tight for me. My right knee is pretty much hard up against the console all the time.

It gets 30mpg. Scheduled maintainence (but 10k mile oil changes, at least it's synthetic), brake pads, etc..... That's a nice little savings. So easy to drive in traffic. Quick enough to get into holes. Small enough for parking spaces I'd pass up in the Camaro for sure. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Could do worse, that's for sure.... I'd consider a Supercharged Cobalt SS. Um, remember that SS doesn't mean blown, that's an option. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'd pass on the Focus SVT. Great handling, but never really liked the ones I drove, and I know Kozlak's have a TON of trouble with theirs.

I assume that Keith's issue with the car he drove is poor setup (go figure). They are great handling cars stock, and it's so easy to mess them up and not at all easy to improve them much in the chassis department. I researched this, including the fact I know spring rates!!!! Just one of the many cars I deal with daily..

This post has been edited by Sam Strano: Jan 4 2006, 12:34 AM

+Quote Post
Racer X
post Jan 4 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 120

QUOTE (Sam Strano @ Jan 3 2006, 18:34)
I'm not all that comfortable in it.  Plenty of headroom and legroom.  But the width of the hole between the door, console and dash is a bit tight for me.  My right knee is pretty much hard up against the console all the time. 

Yeah but not all of us are size XXX Sasquatch. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jan 4 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #18

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 3 2006, 20:41)

I'm not a small guy either. I'm 5'11" and 245 lbs. But I was comfortable in it.

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jan 4 2006, 03:20 AM
Post #19

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

I had about a 10-15 lap ride in a slightly modded Cooper S at Limerock last year. It was an instructor driving and it had Hoosiers for sneakers. That is the only car I've ever had a ride in (have had other rides at LRP before) that has made my neck tired. That thing seemed like it was pulling so much G force in the uphill that I was trying to counter my head from running out the driver side window so hard my neck hurt!

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jan 4 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #20

CMCer

Member No.: 194

I had about a 10-15 lap ride in a slightly modded Cooper S at Limerock last year. It was an instructor driving and it had Hoosiers for sneakers. That is the only car I've ever had a ride in (have had other rides at LRP before) that has made my neck tired. That thing seemed like it was pulling so much G force in the uphill that I was trying to counter my head from running out the driver side window so hard my neck hurt!

A Mini S with Hoosiers is a recipe for neck pain indeed! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:23 AM