IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.com
19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The new to me 1SC....
Steve91T
post Mar 27 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #341

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 9,105

Yesterday I ran down to my dad's do bleed the brakes on the 1SC and went for a drive. This car is gong to be a track monster. On wet roads with my dad driving around the neighborhood I had him do some 20-30 mph stops to bed the brakes. Even then I could feel how powerful the brakes were. We took it down some back roads after that. My dad is beyond thrilled. The engine is so smooth, makes respectable power (more than enough for him) and has tons of grip. On wet roads I absolutely could not believe the power of the brakes. Really impressive. And those big tires are right at home on the streets. Even with no alignment it was tracking straight and not pulling or wandering.

The most amazing part, no rubbing at all. None. I have no idea how that's possible. So I told him to put some miles on it and tell me when he does hear a rub, then we'll see where it rubbed and take care of it.

Up next:
New headlights
STB
Corner weigh and lower the front ride height
Alignment.
Full tune on a dyno

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/D8BF28FB-982C-4475-9CA9-3CEC5184A76E.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/5FD4BBDD-48C5-4491-A668-C76C536A616C.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/31E509D7-86FB-4E6F-91D3-49FA625DB200.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/0A57FC27-ED6A-4B87-AEEA-3DD4AF8DDC1B.jpg)

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Mar 27 2017, 04:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Mar 27 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #342

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

What was your final spacer arrangement? 1/2 front and 3/8 rear? Did you do any BFH mods in the rear?

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Mar 27 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #343

Experienced Member

QUOTE (Mojave @ Mar 27 2017, 02:02 PM) *
What was your final spacer arrangement? 1/2 front and 3/8 rear? Did you do any BFH mods in the rear?

No grinding, no BFH. At full drop, it's damn close to the rear bump stops. And while on its wheels, it's really close to the inside front of the rear fenders, but still there's enough room I guess. I would be surprised if he doesn't find a scenario that causes something to rub, like maybe an on ramp, or something. Either way, if he does rub, it won't be much at all.

We started with 1/2" spacers up front and 3/8 rear but we found the front were sticking out too much. So we moved them to the rear and brought the 3/8's to the front.

So the 1/2" spacers are in the rear and the 3/8" spacers are in the front.

If you look straight on you can see the front tires stick out ever so slightly. I'm hoping maxing out the camber will fix that.

As my dad drives it I'll give updates on if he experiences any rubbing.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 5 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #344

Experienced Member

Just thought I'd give a little update. My dad has been putting some miles on his new car. So far he's basically been running errands in it. He's done a mix of city, highway, on ramps and parking lots. He calls me every single time he takes it out and and tells me how he absolutely cannot believe how much fun it is to drive! The engine is smooth as silk and he loves the power band. He also said he absolutely loves the idle. Just enough lope so you know it has a cam, but zero drivability issues. And this is with a mail order tune!

The only problem was a SEL that came on for a couple of days but then went out. I'll pull codes next time I'm there.

The other thing is the rear diff makes some noise in parking lots. I'm not sure if the torsion diff requires the LSD addstive, I didn't put any in, maybe it needs it.

The other thing is the rear tires weren't balanced prooperly...on the highway he can feel they are out of balance.

And the other thing that absolutely blows me away, he hasn't had an tire rub at all. None. That's amazing.

Anyway, it's really pretty cool that my dad likes this car so much. He is always looking for an excuse to take it somewhere. He's also really excited about his first track day. That's something I never thought I'd hear him say. This car really seems to have brought the joy of driving back to him. It's funny, he keeps comparing his car to much more expensive cars like corvettes. He just can't believe how capable the car is for only $8500.

We're starting to get some hotter days, so AC is my next priority.

If anyone wants a very street friendly cam, sounds like the TTS 224r cam knocks it out of the park!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Apr 5 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #345

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Apr 5 2017, 10:45 AM) *
The other thing is the rear diff makes some noise in parking lots. I'm not sure if the torsion diff requires the LSD addstive, I didn't put any in, maybe it needs it.

It's not required for the torsen mechanically. However, GM had a TSB to add the LSD additive to correct a "rusty screw" sound that comes from the diff during low speed maneuvers. I've always just filled mine with Mobile 1 and they've all been completely silent.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 17 2017, 02:30 AM
Post #346

Experienced Member

After hunting Easter eggs I changed the lights on my dad's 1SC and added a STB that I painted red for a little pop of color.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/958C9BB9-FFB8-406F-8D3F-674310AC92D5.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/124B4A62-9A51-4316-BAEA-851933C555E5.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/BF265797-6A6E-4753-A0EF-6A9BDEE99826.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/C38730F8-5DC3-4F07-9EA4-B98186D96615.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/97B84AAC-1E05-46BE-90E1-756F96FB262D.jpg)

My dad loves the lights. Makes a huge difference.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Apr 23 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #347

Experienced Member

Dyno and tune scheduled for May 11th! They are going to keep the car for a couple of days to make sure it's perfect, hot and cold.

After I installed the STB and lights, my dad and I went for a drive. That car is just awesome. It's a true pleasure to drive. I don't know if the ECU has been learning or what, but it is even smoother than before.

At one point in the drive I was on a road away from other cars at about 50 and zig zagged like I was scrubbing tires. We didn't hear any rubbing but we got a whiff of tire smoke. So something touched, I just can't believe we didn't hear anything.

My dad is going to get the tires renbalanced and while the wheels are off, he's going to have them see where it rubbed. He's also going to swing by an auto parts store and have the CEL code read.

So when we pulled into the neighborhood at the end of our drive, we were on a fairly long flat road. At about 35 MPH I put it into 6th to see how it ran. It was at basically idle, 800 RPM or so. With my foot off the gas (because it was idling and maintaining speed), it was totally smooth. There was maybe a tiny hint of cam surge, maybe. Then I gave it a little gas and it was 100% smooth while it accelerated. Truely amazing. This might be the perfect cam.

Maybe next week we're going to a race shop to have the ride height lowered and corner weighed. I'm anxious to see what this 1SC weighs. Also I'm going to have them fix the exhaust leak where the Y and mid pipe connect. After that I'm going to get it aligned.

So the next day my dad drove the car, his first time driving it after installing the STB. He said he absolutely noticed a difference in steering response. He still calls me telling me how he absolutely cannot believe a sub $10k Camaro can be so solid and have such responsive steering.

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Apr 23 2017, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 1 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #348

Experienced Member

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Steve91T/Camaro/6915FA88-4D7F-456A-84F3-2FBE3E4F3F34.jpg)

I don't know what the hell is going on with Photobucket, I'll mess with it later.

Anyway, finally got the 1SC on a dyno. It made 360 rwhp with a 224R Texas Speed cam and everything else stock, including the exhaust manifolds.

This post has been edited by Steve91T: Jul 1 2017, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 1 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #349

Experienced Member

Photobucket is crap. They are now charging $400/yr to be able to post pictures.

If you click the link, it should still take you to the pic. I need another site to host pics.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 1 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #350

FRRAX Owner/Admin

The link takes me to a page (after 3 minutes of waiting) that says to upgrade your account to allow third party hosting. So I can't see the pics. I would like to see the dyno curve if you have a copy to email me.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 1 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #351

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Steve91T @ Jul 1 2017, 01:53 PM) *
Photobucket is crap. They are now charging $400/yr to be able to post pictures.

If you click the link, it should still take you to the pic. I need another site to host pics.

WOW!! Their crap won't hardly load on the old iPad I use for bedside browsing, that, and I have to wait, and click, and wait, and click through several opportunities to sign up for photobucket. WTF?!?

I use fotki. Not sure how I ended up there, and it turns out they're some Eastonian company, or at least their servers are located in Eastonia, but IIRC, it's like $25 for a 3 year subscription with few limits. I had issues when they were _shipping_ (as in physically-shipping) some of their servers TO Eastonia, but none after that. I'm no multi-media wizard, so most of my stuff is quick cell phone pictures, but their stuff seems to work okay with Mac/Linux/PC with no issues.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 1 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #352

Experienced Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 1 2017, 04:38 PM) *
The link takes me to a page (after 3 minutes of waiting) that says to upgrade your account to allow third party hosting. So I can't see the pics. I would like to see the dyno curve if you have a copy to email me.

Sent you the email. I'm curious to see what you guys think.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 2 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #353

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Steve's dyno sheet.

That looks pretty strong. I like it.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Steve_Dyno.jpg ( 51.65K ) Number of downloads: 18

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 3 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #354

Experienced Member

So what's funny is the tuning shop actually knocked it out of the park with their mail order tune. After spending time with it, they picked up maybe 5hp. But they ruined the low end drivability. It now has a slight surging issue below 1500. I called them about it and they said absolutely bring it back and they'll fix it. I'll do that when I go to the shop around the corner from them to put it on scales, set the front ride height and corner weigh it. I'm anxious to see what a 1SC weighs.

There is no tire run. I don't understand how it's possible. Maybe when on the track it'll rub but from what I can do on the street, nothing.

What I love about this engine is the power delivery. The other day I floored it in 1st at about 20 MPH. The tires were just barely hanging on, but didn't light up. It pulled all the way through 6k, shifted to 2nd and did it all over again. I can't believe the acceleration with that kind of grip. Then there are the brakes. They feel like normal brakes at first. Then you step on them harder and your insides start to come out.

I'd post another picture of it just to make this interesting but I'd have to give Photobucket $400. I'm still pissed

+Quote Post
GCrites80s
post Jul 3 2017, 04:58 PM
Post #355

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223,855

Car forums are all of a sudden no fun after this Photobucket thing.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 3 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #356

Experienced Member

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jul 3 2017, 12:58 PM) *

Seriously.

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/fcad0cab.gif)

+Quote Post
The Batman
post Jul 3 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #357

Member No.: 120,269

QUOTE (GCrites80s @ Jul 3 2017, 04:58 PM) *

It's Crazy, it's almost like every forum I go to anymore has been gutted. So much has been lost because of this.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 3 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #358

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I'm getting low on server space. I may need to look and see what an upgrade costs to buy a "large" amount of storage. Then I could open up picture hosting and just let people attach them. Sadly, there are old threads here and people who are no longer active and I can't pull the photos off (because they are now gone) and restore those threads. I might have to do a fund raiser and sell more decals....lol.

+Quote Post
nape
post Jul 6 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #359

Veteran Member

Member No.: 540

Reminds me of what happened when all the "free" web hosting sites (Geocities/Tripod/Angelfire/etc) went tits up. So much good info lost, along with some junk.

+Quote Post
Steve91T
post Jul 6 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #360

Experienced Member

I'm still so pissed at Photobucket. It's literllly blackmail.

Anyway, I'm taking the 1SC back to PCM today to have them flash the original mail order tune back in. That tune ran so well and so smooth. After they messed with it, it picked up next to no hp and now has a slight cam surge below 1500. We'll see how the mail order tune runs again.

I've also got a call into the race shop to have them out this car on scales and balance it. Hopefully I can do that as well.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:04 AM