IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New toy - 2015 Silverado, Now, I need a few things for it...
bubba353z
post Jul 8 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 410

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 8 2015, 09:04 AM) *
I guess I'm getting old. I used to do the "very necessary top speed test" on every car. Never had my Jeep over 85-90 (which was likely as fast as it would go anyway...lol), never saw anything beyond 95-ish in my old truck (long story about an idiot kid while I was pulling a trailer). Haven't been over 85 in this one (and typically I look down and go "oops, didn't know I was running that fast" and then I slow and set the cruise).

You're definitely getting old.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

Better get the Vette out for a blast through the gears, before it's too late.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 8 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #22

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (bubba353z @ Jul 8 2015, 12:40 PM) *
I guess I'm getting old. I used to do the "very necessary top speed test" on every car. Never had my Jeep over 85-90 (which was likely as fast as it would go anyway...lol), never saw anything beyond 95-ish in my old truck (long story about an idiot kid while I was pulling a trailer). Haven't been over 85 in this one (and typically I look down and go "oops, didn't know I was running that fast" and then I slow and set the cruise).

You're definitely getting old.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/nutkick.gif)

If it ever quits raining?!?!?!?! This summer has been one big thunderstorm...

That one might be a little tougher to do the top speed test. I'm sure it will run past 170 and likely past 180. With the gearing, 6,800 rpm in 5th is 201 mph. That puts it at the approximate HP peak in the low to mid 190 range (if it's enough power). I'm going to need some space to play. lol

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Jul 8 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #23

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I've had one issue with the bak-flip, twice. The latch by the tailgate has pulled away from the panel since they just use self tapping screws. It's only been the passenger side, the first time I just moved the screws over an inch or so and the second time I added extra screws. Of course the first time it happened I was past the warranty period do I didn't bother to call.

+Quote Post
mitchntx
post Jul 8 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #24

Nothing says 'I love you.' like a box of Hydroshoks

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (slowTA @ Jul 8 2015, 11:49 AM) *
I've had one issue with the bak-flip, twice.

Twice for me as well.

Both times the release cable loops through the latch's eye and uses a crimp.

Apparently either the crimping guy was either hung over or was thinking about the weekend ...

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Jul 9 2015, 02:40 AM
Post #25

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (trackbird @ Jul 8 2015, 11:44 AM) *
QUOTE (bubba353z @ Jul 8 2015, 12:40 PM) *

If it ever quits raining?!?!?!?! This summer has been one big thunderstorm...

That one might be a little tougher to do the top speed test. I'm sure it will run past 170 and likely past 180. With the gearing, 6,800 rpm in 5th is 201 mph. That puts it at the approximate HP peak in the low to mid 190 range (if it's enough power). I'm going to need some space to play. lol

They do standing miles up there somewhere. There's a guy with a 70 Coupe DeVille who finally won his 200-MPH Club cert who lives in Ohio. That's the place to play with the top end.

We FINALLY dried out. Well, not dried out, I still have at least an inch of water still surrounding our shop. But at least the daily 5" rainfalls have stopped for a while. There's hope for you yet! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif) Of course, you can now hearing them building the BIG mosquitoes out in the field at night. Heck, there's FISH in the drainage ditch by our road.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jul 9 2015, 11:30 AM
Post #26

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ Jul 8 2015, 10:40 PM) *
They do standing miles up there somewhere. There's a guy with a 70 Coupe DeVille who finally won his 200-MPH Club cert who lives in Ohio. That's the place to play with the top end.

We FINALLY dried out. Well, not dried out, I still have at least an inch of water still surrounding our shop. But at least the daily 5" rainfalls have stopped for a while. There's hope for you yet! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif) Of course, you can now hearing them building the BIG mosquitoes out in the field at night. Heck, there's FISH in the drainage ditch by our road.

http://ecta-lsr.net/welcome-to-ecta-lsr/ab...hio-mile-track/

I wouldn't hit top speed in a mile. I'd need more space to see what it would run. We talked about that event when it first started a few years ago and found the pricing to be about the same as a day at Mid Ohio. So, we figured we'd wind up at Mid Ohio if we were spending the cash.

I should make it a point to at least go down and watch one year.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 5 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #27

FRRAX Owner/Admin

I wound up buying an "Undercover" brand "Flex" tri fold tonneau. My local truck accessory dealer sells Undercover and Bak Industries stuff and they prefer the Undercover. Pricing was similar and they were within about $30 of online pricing, so I bought it from them.

I wound up buying a set of stainless step bars (I really didn't want shiny). I was going to have them sprayed with Rhino Liner but they were afraid it wouldn't stick. So...stainless it is. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) They actually look decent on the truck, better than I expected. And I had the stock bedliner pulled out and I did a spray in Rhino Liner (I had one in my last truck and it was fantastic).

It's all done (I don't want to spend any more money on truck parts, I just want to drive it).
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_2888.JPG ( 37.56K ) Number of downloads: 15
Attached File  IMG_2889.JPG ( 42.43K ) Number of downloads: 19
Attached File  IMG_2887.JPG ( 33.71K ) Number of downloads: 12

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 5 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #28

Veteran Member

Nice! I think my neighbor has a cover like that on his Fjoird.

We have the spray-in on both of our trucks, and LOVE it. The only problem we've seen is the stuff will oxidize in the sun, and rub off when you rub against it. Kind of sux when you reach over the side of the bed to fetch something out of the bed and end up with a black smudge on your shirt, or arm. Otherwise, the stuff is great.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 5 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #29

FRRAX Owner/Admin

My last truck had a Rhino and in 5 years it turned very slightly grey, but that's it. My friend has an old Rhino in his 2001 F250 (that was purchased with the liner in it and very well used) and it's been good so far as well. Either way, due to the plastic bed rails and the cover, it will stay out of the sun. I hope that fixes that issue.

I liked this cover because it had "struts" to hold it when it was folded...it doesn't lay against/rub on the back of the cab. It also has latches to secure it if you only fold it twice. We went to the range the other day and went through a pouring (wipers on high) rainstorm and everything stayed dry in the bed. A little water can get in the bed from rain when it's sitting, but it's not much and I've been pretty pleased. I expected it to leak a lot more than it does.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 6 2015, 01:32 PM
Post #30

Veteran Member

Other than the black smudging that they give you with age they've otherwise worn quite well. Grease, gas and oil don't affect the coatings at all, and they take sliding of stuff over the surface quite well.

What's this 'rain' you speak of? (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Aug 23 2015, 03:26 AM
Post #31

Veteran Member

Member No.: 1,144

I swallowed the pill too, cept mine is a GMC:

(IMG:http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/StanIROCZ/GMC/E5C1B1B9-4242-4318-BADD-19EE43E6CB69_zpshqmot0hz.jpg)

SLT 5.3 4x4 Leather holy crap there is a bunch of doo-dads comaired to the '93 I've drove for the last 6 years.

Big reason I went for the latest generation trucks is they come standard with the 9.5" axle instead of the 8.6", the direct injection motor makes more power than the gen IV, and wow there are a lot more features.

I feel like a kid on Christmas right now (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 23 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #32

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Nice truck! Did you get the HID lights? I didn't buy the LTZ, so I didn't get the HIDs on mine. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) And I was ok without leather (though I've had leather in most of my recent cars, so I could go either way).

I've done some digging and I also found that these had the 9.5" axle in them. It's not as bomb proof as the 11.5 in my last truck, but it should be a lot more efficient. And the 6L80 transmission has two overdrive gears (I wasn't aware of that either).

What gears did you get in yours?

I just took mine on a 900 mile road trip (from Columbus to the Summit Point Raceway area) and I averaged 18.5 mpg for the entire trip (city, highway, stuck in traffic and all). We were seeing up to 21.5 average (on the rolling 50 mile average) in the mountains with the cruise set on 77-80 mph (with lots of 6-8% grades). I can't complain about that at all.

It requires "Dexos" rated oil (0-20) and it holds 8.5 quarts (seriously). They claim GM can tell if you run non Dexos rated oil and the engine fails. I was not aware of the new Dexos spec, but the green cap Mobil 1 0-20 has the Dexos logo on it.

+Quote Post
robz71lm7
post Aug 23 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #33

Veteran Member

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 23 2015, 10:13 AM) *
Nice truck! Did you get the HID lights? I didn't buy the LTZ, so I didn't get the HIDs on mine. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) And I was ok without leather (though I've had leather in most of my recent cars, so I could go either way).

I've done some digging and I also found that these had the 9.5" axle in them. It's not as bomb proof as the 11.5 in my last truck, but it should be a lot more efficient. And the 6L80 transmission has two overdrive gears (I wasn't aware of that either).

I just took mine on a 900 mile road trip (from Columbus to the Summit Point Raceway area) and I averaged 18.5 mpg for the entire trip (city, highway, stuck in traffic and all). We were seeing up to 21.5 average (on the rolling 50 mile average) in the mountains with the cruise set on 77-80 mph (with lots of 6-8% grades). I can't complain about that at all.

It requires "Dexos" rated oil (0-20) and it holds 8.5 quarts (seriously). They claim GM can tell if you run non Dexos rated oil and the engine fails. I was not aware of the new Dexos spec, but the green cap Mobil 1 0-20 has the Dexos logo on it.

The LTZ does not have HID headlights-just a projector high beam. It still uses the same H11 low beam bulb too. Also the oil capcity is 8 quarts. GM issued an addendum reducing it from 8.5 to 8 quarts.

I bought a '14 Silverado last year. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 24 2015, 12:12 AM
Post #34

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (robz71lm7 @ Aug 23 2015, 04:22 PM) *
I bought a '14 Silverado last year. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Glad to see you're still around! (or have I missed it when you've been here?)

I pulled the 8.5 number from my manual. I guess I'll start with 8 and see what the dipstick says. Good info, thanks!

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Aug 25 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #35

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 23 2015, 11:13 AM) *

Mine's GMC, so I don't know what LTZ is (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But the I have the SLT which has "Headlamps, halogen projector with LED signature" upgraded over the SLE.

3.42 gear ratio, exactly what I wanted. 9.5" axle will last forever behind the usage you and I will put it to :-)

I haven't looked into oil changes yet because I get it free at the dealership for 2 years. After that, $29.95 for GM spec synthetic. With that price I'm done doing it myself. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

I was somewhat indifferent on leather at first, but I have 2 kids so I thought it would be good for easy clean up. Now I'm glad I have it. GMC is offering 20% off on select SLT models so with the deal that I got an SLT was as cheap as an SLE so it was a no brainer. I'm also glad I have the front and rear back-up camera's because the shoulders are broad on these trucks.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 26 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #36

FRRAX Owner/Admin

SLT = LTZ

I did the 3.42's for the tow rating and it makes the gearing about perfect on the truck. I'm glad I held out for that ratio. And you're right, the 9.5" rear is plenty strong for anything I'll ever do with this truck.

Any idea what diff is in the front end? Dana? 8.5"?

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 26 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #37

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 23 2015, 10:13 AM) *
<SNIP>

Then keep the Dexos oil in it! It seems the current crop of LS3/L99s have weak rocker trunions, which break, letting the needle bearings drop into the engine. Sometimes it's caught as a tapping noise in the valvetrain, sometimes it's caught on engine teardown after the car is towed into the dealership after loosing power.

Some are bringing their brand new Chevy SSs home to start engine mods, and discover needle bearings laying in the head when they pull the valve covers. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Heck, the engine in our '12 Caprice had a cam and lifter replacement after a lifter failure, but that's associated with the AFM system.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Aug 26 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #38

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Yea, I wasn't saying not to run the Dexos oil...just that I was unaware of a new oil spec out "there". Just mentioning the things I've learned in case I can save Stan some time. lol.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Aug 26 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #39

Veteran Member

Yeah, I was surprised at that, too. Had to go get a couple of quarts so we could add some before autocrossing the Caprice. Luckily, we can use Dexos-grade in the other vehicles we're running Mobil1 in so we'll just cycle out the old stuff for the other cars, and probably start running the older vehicles on the Dexos, too.

The Caprice was great fun on the autocross course, BTW. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
StanIROCZ
post Aug 27 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #40

Veteran Member

QUOTE (trackbird @ Aug 26 2015, 08:28 AM) *
Any idea what diff is in the front end? Dana? 8.5"?

I'm pretty sure it is the 8.25" AAM that has been in there since the 80's, with some enhancements.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:07 PM