IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comUMI PerformanceSolo PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comUnbalanced Engineering
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Poisoning, Please be on the lookout
2000Z-71
post May 5 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 314

Apologies in advance for the spam, but I'm trying to get this out to as many sources as possible. One of our dogs, our 5 year old Norwegian Elkhound is suffering from anti-freeze poisoning. We've had her in the vet's office for the last 3 days on IV's trying to get her fluid level up and kidneys functioning again, but it's not looking good. I just want people in north Phoenix, especially the Moon Valley area to be aware and on the lookout.

Last week while my wife was in the hospital for her c-section and I was spending most of my time with her and our baby, we think somebody threw something over the wall to intentionally poison her. Two calls to the Phoenix PD and they still have not come out to take a report. I'm going to be calling the local media tomorrow to try and get the word out.

Please be on the lookout and watch after your pets.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackbird
post May 5 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #2

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

That's terrible. I have no patience for idiots who would do something like that to a pet. I just don't understand some of these morons, but the world might not miss a few of them.

How's your wife doing?

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post May 5 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #3

My wife and daughter are both doing fine physically. My wife is very worried about our dog, she did not need the stress and emmotion added to her recovery. I don't understand why someone would do this either, especially with our Elkhound, she has got to be the sweetest dog that I have ever had. Why anyone would want to hurt her I have no idea.

+Quote Post
KeithO
post May 5 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Veteran Member

Member No.: 14

I like my dog more than alot of people I know.

If someone did that to my dog, it would be best that I never know for sure who did it.

Good luck with your entire situation.

+Quote Post
y5e06
post May 5 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

Sorry to hear that, there is the same thing going around here. In the Austin area 7 dogs have been poisoned in one neighborhood. It was on the news last night and it doesn't look like they have any leads, not that I suspect the police are working very hard on it.

+Quote Post
00 SS
post May 5 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 197

I can't believe this happened to her. Anyone who would do that to someone elses pet deserves a hot engine oil enima. She is like one of my own dogs, I really hope she makes it. If you do find out who did this, it might be best if you don't tell me. I'd hate for something bad to happen to one of your neighbors when I'm down there for Maya's christening (sp).

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post May 5 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #7

Thanks for all the words of support. This really has been difficult to deal with. What should be one of the happiest times in our life and we feel like there is a dark cloud hanging over us. It might be one thing is our dog was suffering from natural causes, but to think that someone intentionally did this is just sickening.

Phoenix PD came by at 12:45AM to file a report, it's a good thing we were up with the baby anyway. Both officers were incredibly great to deal with. They are going to talk with a neighbor who complained about our dogs barking last year. It's taken about all the self control that I have not to go bang on that neighbor's door myself. I talked with my immediate neighbors last night and will be talking with everyone on our street and the street behind us today. If nothing else, hopefully word will get out and no one else with have to go through the same.

+Quote Post
z28barnett
post May 5 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 468

I guess I will get flamed for this, but here goes.

I have put up with alot of dog owners that do not even attempt to control their dogs. They hang them on a chain staked in the yard and let them bark endlessly. I could see why someone might want these dogs dead. The dogs don't really have a life worth living anyway. That does not make it right, but you push people and deprive them of sleep they can get wierd on you.

The other reason that this might have been done is more dangerous to you and your family.

A dead dog can't warn you of intruders or thieves in the middle of the night.

Somebody might be getting ready to steal from you.

Z28

+Quote Post
Bald54
post May 5 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 101

I'd take being around a dog any day compared to people. Any dog I've had is usually smarter and more loyal.

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post May 5 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (z28barnett @ May 5 2005, 09:39)
I have put up with alot of dog owners that do not even attempt to control their dogs. They hang them on a chain staked in the yard and let them bark endlessly. I could see why someone might want these dogs dead. The dogs don't really have a life worth living anyway. That does not make it right, but you push people and deprive them of sleep they can get wierd on you.

A dead dog can't warn you of intruders or thieves in the middle of the night.

I can understand your frustration with chained dogs. I agree that they deserve a better life. But that's what animal control is for, not just for your own sanity from the endless barking but for the dog's own welfare.

Trust me that is not either one of our dogs. They are part of our family. My wife usually works from home and they are inside with her for the majority of the day. They did spend a lot of time outside last week since my time and attention was focused on being at the hospital for my wife and daughter.

The thought of someone possibly casing our home had entered into my mind. One of the t.v. news channels that I talked to this morning mentioned that they had recently received reports of other dog poisonings. But if anyone is planning anything, they will be in for a couple of surprises. Fortunately, our Akita was not poisoned. He is very protective of the house and family, especially since we brought our daughter home. I'm also off all of this week, and we've all been up during the night with the baby so I don't think anyone will be surprising us in our sleep. And well, my wife shot on the rifle team in college and I shot on the pistol team...

+Quote Post
slowTA
post May 5 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I can't stand barking dogs either... and my dog is one of them! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) He has free roam of the yard (although it's small) and we bring him in whenever he starts barking. I swear the squirrels just run past the yard to toy with him. I still can't imagine living without the annoying mut that he is.

Good luck with your dog and daughter, you have my sympathy.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post May 5 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

That really sux to hear about your dog.

This past weekend I had to put down the family dog. She was a great companion and great kid dog. She was a 10 year old yellow lab, that was diagnosed with cancer about 2 weeks ago. The vet thought she would be healthy enough to live another 6 months to a year, but just got so sick over the weekend I had to put her down.

I truly understand the attachment you can get from an animal. Best regards and hope your dog makes it and the people that did it are caught and severly punished.

BTW.. I had a Norwegian Elk hound as a kid and it was a great dog. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
bobbylee
post May 5 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 396

I hate to hear that. The dogs are my family and friends. I rescue and train Dobermans in conjuction with Doberman Rescue of North Texas. (www.dobermanrescue.org). I have lived in the same place for 32 years and after hearing and seeing all of the tragedies that can befall a pet these are the rules at my house:

Six foot wooden fence with chain link backup and chain link gate.

Gate to the yard is locked unless I am using it. This applies to ALL. No one is allowed in unless I am there.

Dogs are never left out if I am not at home.

I walk the fence line everyday looking for "junk" that could have been thrown in and any damage to the fencing. I usually check the yard again at night before retiring.

Every fence is well posted with no trespassing signs. A local attorney and police have advised me that this is all that is necessary. Anyone caught on the property is subject to arrest.

Doors to the house and garage/shop area are never left open together unless all animals are accounted for and secured.

Never trust anyone. My cousin just lost one of her dogs because she trusted an exterminator to relock the gate.

I have four to six Dobermans living there most of the time, either permanent residents or fosters. The residents are all well trained. They will stop in their tracks when called and will leave anything found on the ground alone if told to drop it. I have two that I am training for recall at this time.

Not that it will stop the malfeasants in society, but you guys should think about using propylene glycol antifreeze. The dogs don't have unlimited access to areas where vehicles are kept but I run p glycol just in case I should get a leak. Of course the house and storage buildings all have perimeter security plus I have four cameras hooked to a time lapse recorder and a motion detector on the driveway.

+Quote Post
z28barnett
post May 6 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 468

I think it would be safe to assume that people on this board like to work on cars.

It is difficult to avoid getting antifreeze everywhere when you tear into an engine.

Pets are prone to drinking Anti-Freeze. It tastes sweet to them. As little as a table spoon can kill a cat. I don't know how much would hurt a dog, but it is toxic to them also.

It is very easy to spill or leave a puddle of Anti-Freeze. Dogs have good noses they would find it if it was anywhere around. They will drink it because it tastes good to them. Hard for us to imagine, doesn't look tasty to me, but I hopefuly don't think like a dog does. It will kill people also but it takes more of it.

Not to say that somebody wouldn't do this on purpose to posion a dog, but an accidental exposure could happen also.

You will probably never know what happened for sure.

No one had posted about how attractive Anti-freeze is to pets and how lethal.

I thought I would spell it out and perhaps avoid some tragic events for other pets that could be posioned by such a common and attractive toxin.

Z28

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post May 6 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

sorry to hear this news. i do hope your dog is fine.

i love animals and ive had dogs all my life growing up. with that said if someon hurts my cat they are going to be sorry. i rescued/found this cat when she was maybe 7 weeks old. she weighted 3/4 of a pound. thats 12oz, she was skin and bones. what can i say i love this cat.

hurting any animal just because is grounds for a severe ass kicking

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post May 6 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #16

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

Everybody pretty much said it, I hope your WHOLE family is going to be fine!

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post May 6 2005, 02:15 AM
Post #17

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

Interesting. While taking one of our dogs to the oncologist a week ago, I read in a veteranary journal about glycol poisoning. It only takes about 1.4 ml/kg to kill a cat. Interesting thing that it is a long drawn out death with cats, and just when they are looking like the are recovering from it, all their organ functions shutdown and they die from it.

It doesn't take too much more to kill a dog. Luckily, dogs show the symptoms sooner and tend to respond to treatment better than cats.

It is a sad human who will poison an animal instead of just asking the owner to quiet them down. Maybe such a person should try a couple of AF cocktail themselves.

Unfortunately, our mama dog has metastatic melanoma. While we have her on chemotherapy, it is only going to prolong her life, not stop the melanoma. Good luck with your puppy.

+Quote Post
Jeff97FST/A
post May 6 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #18

Mr. 3rd Place

Member No.: 32

Our dogs are very much part of the family. Our yellow lab used to sleep in the bed with us sometimes. Our little race team is named Yellow Dog Racing in her memory.

The folks who live on the first floor or our house train dogs for protection (NOT attack dogs - more for police use and such). Always lovely dogs coming and going, an old brown dog lives on the second floor, along with us on the third floor with our now 12 year old chocolate lab. His thyroid isn't working too well, his back legs are going, his eyes are clouding over, and he's the best dog we could ever have asked for.

I'd love to find that old bumper sticker for my car - The more people I meet, the more I like my dog! That pretty much describes me most days (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The pets were our children of 15 years (and still are and will always be).

I wish you, your family, and your dog (and all the dogs) the best....

+Quote Post
Bald54
post May 6 2005, 03:41 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 101

Our family recently had to put down our dog Harry. He was a Wheaten terrier that was part of our family for 13 years. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

Our newest family member is Kramer, a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/SVThis/SSCN0361engine.jpg)

+Quote Post
2000Z-71
post May 6 2005, 04:07 AM
Post #20

Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words of support. Hopefully we'll know more tomorrow when we take her back to the vet for additional bloodwork to see how things are doing. I've talked to all of our neighbors on the street and everyone can't believe what has happened and is worried about their own dogs as well. We've got a pretty tight knit little cul-de-sac and we're all trying to keep an eye out for one another.

Yes, anti-freeze is extremely dangerous to animals. It only takes 1oz. to kill a 50lb. dog. I've never had anything in the backyard that contains anti-freeze and the dogs are never in the garage. So it had to have been something that was thrown over the wall and into our yard.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 09:40 PM