IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
UMI PerformanceBlaine Fabrication.comHotpart.comUnbalanced EngineeringSolo Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ok, I'm back thinking of a track car
trackbird
post Sep 23 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

I can never seem to decide which way I want to go in my automotive travels. I enjoy my 2002 and it's a great car, quick, handles well, etc. I don't really want to run it at track events as a daily driver. I've been considering a 3rd gen for a long time now and I have some options.

I have a car lined up in VA that I can go pick up. It's an '83 chassis (not the best year), an automatic, a hard top and has no engine in it. However, the price is "right".

I have a local friend who's car I could buy. It's not CMC legal and it's not enough motor for AIX (though I might run ok in AI). Considerably more money, but a nicer car.

I've been looking at the specials on trucks lately (Dodge is way overstocked on inventory and they may be giving them away soon, they have good incentives now) and thinking of "de-modding" my car and trading it in. I'll keep what I can use and sell off the rest of my parts towards the new car (being a 3rd gen, only the rear suspension stuff will swap). The real concern is, can I get rid of enough of the parts from the current car? And, will I be sorry for getting rid of the 2002?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KeithO
post Sep 23 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 14

I don't understand why you can't use your daily driver as the track car. I did that for a couple of years and I never had any regrets. It seems that the right car is already in your garage.

As an alternative, have you considered a backup daily driver instead of the path you are heading down?

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 23 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (KeithO @ Sep 23 2006, 04:21 PM) *
I don't understand why you can't use your daily driver as the track car. I did that for a couple of years and I never had any regrets. It seems that the right car is already in your garage.

As an alternative, have you considered a backup daily driver instead of the path you are heading down?

Yea, I have. I considered a truck or a used Audi A6 (most recently) and some others.

+Quote Post
firehawkclone
post Sep 23 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #4

Grumpy

Member No.: 81

I would stick with the 02 Kevin, it isn't "race ready" but it not far from it, and is the best car to have for the new CMC-S or AI classes (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Get an old suburban for a tow vehicle, get the wife the A6 and you drive the VW (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) DONE! I know sell the arsenal you have under the house (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rotf.gif)

Oh yeah, then hold a BBQ (let's strip my car/ build a race car) weekend at your house (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/1poke.gif)

JMO

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 23 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #5

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Hmm.... I'm not sure I want to wheel to wheel (CMC-S) this car. I bought it new, my baby, etc.... And, SB Chevy parts cost about a dollar each (heads, 300+ cfm at .700 lift for $685 each...assembled and aluminum). This is why I haven't done anything yet, but it's getting tempting.....

So, either way, I'm probably racing "something else", but maybe not..... I guess I really don't know.

+Quote Post
Rob Hood
post Sep 23 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Experienced Member

Member No.: 130

I was at the same crossroads Kevin, but I'm going ahead and getting a 4-point rollbar installed along with a good seat and harness in my 99 Z. I want to learn how to drive well (enough) on a road course before I buy the racecar (which will hopefully be either CMC or an F-body in another class). I'm not ready to start full-on racing yet, so I will just be entering HPDEs and AXs for the next couple of years.

+Quote Post
marka
post Sep 23 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Experienced Member

Member No.: 896

Howdy,

What's your goal? Do you want to race or do trackdays?

For racing, I agree that your current car seems a bit of a goofy choice... That's a lot of cash to tie up in a car that's gonna get beat one. I think I'd go with a cheaper 4th gen over a 3rd though, so that more of your current parts would transfer.

If for track days, I'd say to keep your current car and just track it more.

Either way, a truck (newer if you go with a "race" 4th gen) & open trailer seems like a good way to go. That'd give you a backup daily driver in case something is happening with the trackday car or be your primary daily driver with the race car.

As for the truck... Carefully check out mileage figures if you have much of a commute at all. For us, the cummins in our 2500 pays for itself in improved mileage over the v10 in our old truck. Not that the v10 is especially great for mileage of course... :-) I'd also buy a 3/4 ton vs. a half ton, no matter which marque I was going with. The little bit of extra money buys you _a lot_ more truck, which will put up with about anything you want to throw at it.

FWIW, our quad cab 2500 Dodge makes a super daily driver compared to everything else we've used, with the exception of mileage. And at 18mpg empty, its still better than most trucks/suvs. Comfort-wise, its awesome.

Mark

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Sep 24 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

Kevin,

I've got an '85 Z stripper with a nearly new 350 HO crate in it --carb motor. Previous owner said less than 6k miles on it coupled to an A4.

Guess that will muddy the stream a little bit..........

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 24 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #9

FRRAX Owner/Admin

If I stay 4th gen, it would be another LS1 car. Working on LS1's is bad enough, but LT1's are "miserable" (in my experience). So, it's either a 3rd gen or an LS1 4th gen.

Andy, is that the red one? PM me a price.....

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Sep 24 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Kevin you just need another 4th gen in the driveway, My white bird would look great in the driveway. LOL Oh yeah I'll put it back to esp trim for ya..LOL

John

+Quote Post
AndyJ
post Sep 24 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 791

QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 23 2006, 09:44 PM) *

PM sent. Water muddied.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 24 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #12

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (AndyJ @ Sep 23 2006, 11:10 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 23 2006, 09:44 PM) *

PM sent. Water muddied.

Going filter shopping..... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

(IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Sep 24 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 27

...buying a pre built car is ALWAYS cheaper and easier....

But not as much fun......but in your position, I would buy a built/raced car for a first one.....

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Sep 24 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #14

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

Well...I guess I'll mud up the waters some more...
<steps up on soapbox>

Purpose built car. Say it with me. Purpose built car. Yes. Nice.

Do you want a race car or a car that is raced? Huge difference. Long term what do you want? A car that you can track hard and not worry about? A car that you can find inexpensive parts for? A car that was designed to go 100% for hundreds of laps and will wear you out before you can wear it out. Yes...purpose built car.

Cooling issues, hub issues, brake issues, PITA to work on, blah blah blah. I've raced production based cars in everything from circle track to IT to AS, rally, and of course autocross/hpde/etc. I've raced purpose built cars in roadracing and circle track. There is no comparison. A 'car that is raced' or a race car.

The best places to find them are asphalt circle track 'late models'. Obviously make sure it is a symmetrical car and not an 'offset' chassis. Finding 'rollers' is not too hard and can frequently be found for less than 5k. Slip in an LS1 with an ASA PCM and you never have to mess with carbs and timing issues and it will start every time. Or run a cheap 355 that you can put 400rwhp out of. Weights can be down as low as 2400lbs and wheels/tires are wide open.

Parts: Stupid cheap. Lefthander, Stock Car Products, Coleman, Smileys, and tons of others.

Nowhere that I know of can you go fast for as cheap for so long. The car will wear you out long before you can wear it out. 400rwhp and 2400lbs on 10" wide tires. What hpde car can match that performance anywhere near that price, much less durability.

Just food for thought.

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post
Stang Killer
post Sep 24 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 392

Personally, I would stick with the LS1 car. They make more reliable HP than anything else ive seen, and out of all the V8 offerings its prolly the easiest to work on. Not to mention one of the more simpler and lighter offerings.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Sep 24 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #16

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 23 2006, 04:35 PM) *
Hmm.... I'm not sure I want to wheel to wheel (CMC-S) this car. I bought it new, my baby, etc....

So, either way, I'm probably racing "something else", but maybe not..... I guess I really don't know.

I know it's tough to make that first cut on something thats part of you, but sell it and some stranger will be thrashing it - with resale so low on these cars I'd try to look past that and be honest about the $$ cost flipping it for an older car.

If the LS1 still doesn't work, consider that once the LT1 cars are race prepped, they are not so tough to work on - plugs/wires are easy without smog and heater. WP/opti is easy without A/C, just pull the radiator. Heads, yes, are a backbreaker - it's better to take the 2hrs and pull the motor, but that won't change with an LS1.

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Sep 24 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #17

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Alan, I converted my '89 Formula from daily driver to "full cage, 22 gallon fuel cell, -8 braided lines up front and back, etc". So, I've been down that road (and might do it again). I got to the end, the headers and oil pan didn't fit together. I had both modified and finally got mad and sold the entire project (after putting 30k in it). It had been apart for 6 years and I decided I was "done" with it. It became the "get it out of my garage" special. I put the chassis up on Ebay the week of the attacks in New York. It got one bid, $500. I sold it with cage, fuel cell, Mallory comp 100 EFI pump, filters, braided lines and a harwood hood (and the T-tops). I took a beating on that one when I sold it, but I was moving and needed it gone. So, I'm trying not to repeat past mistakes.

My other thought is, I can tear down SB Chevy's in my sleep (I used to have the torque values and sequences memorized and will again if needed). No fancy valve spring compressors, no metric hardware and again, parts are a "dollar". I know 3rd gens inside and out (as far as repair goes) and am comfortable with them. That's why I was/am leaning that way.

Costas, you are 100% right and I'll probably be 100% stupid and build something out of an F-body. I'm not sure if I want to go CMC/AI/AIX or AV8SS racing (but it will probably be one of those). I might get it running and do track days with it for a bit, get it sorted and find it a home (before it's too far gone for one class or the other).

+Quote Post
Shortcutsleeping
post Sep 24 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #18

Experienced Member

Member No.: 62

If you aren't going to go race car then I'd recommend that you go with what you know.

SBC + Third gen. Cage (to stiffen the chassis as much as safety), sfc's, big brakes and big wheels/tires. I daily drive my 92 1le/b4c, but did an lt1/6sp swap in another one that had springs, big sfc's and it was a DREAM to drive. Stupid fast, mucho light, very easy to get to things (vs 4th gen), great grip and brakes. A buddy did an ls1/6sp swap in his 88 iroc and I drove it for him at an autocross and it was an awesome car also. Needed springs and sfc's, but the awesome power with the nimbleness was incredible.

I don't think I'll ever change my 1le, but if I did, it would be awful tough to NOT put in an lt1/ls1, do sfcs and springs and 11's and go crush some folks. Thankfully I love to run FS and daily drive it (cold ac baby!) AND have enough 'other' projects that keep the 1le safe from modding.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but from what you've said it seems like you should go 3rd gen.

Costas
cars and such...

+Quote Post
Ojustracing
post Sep 24 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Hey kevin heres a car for you.

ebay

Hey check out some funny things in the Decription. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/drink.gif)

John

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Sep 24 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #20

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Since CMC-S was announced many are foaming over the cheap '96 LT1 Formula I have for sale! Would be a great car with the option to run in CMC with a restrictor plate or yank it out and run it in CMC-S.

Personally I am not fond of the way restrictor plates work on LT1s presently in CMC, causing some wierdness in some rpm spots if you lose momentum. This is not very often, however, does happen on occasion. There are still 100 pluses to running the restricted LT1 in CMC. Take out the plate though and the engine is happy all the time! The LS1 will have to be restricted to run the CMC-S 280hp 300ft-lbs torque, I imagine the wierdness will occur with that motor too. On the other hand, that is easy stock unrestricted LT1 territory! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 12:41 PM