IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringUMI Performance
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fatal crash at California Speedway
trackbird
post Jun 3 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #1

FRRAX Owner/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 196

Article:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

Pics:

http://nbc4.tv/slideshow/news/4562709/detail.html

More info at corner carvers:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthrea...ead.php?t=23616

Emergency Crews Respond To Fatal Crash At California Speedway
Second Person Hospitalized After Crash

POSTED: 3:23 pm PDT June 2, 2005
UPDATED: 5:16 pm PDT June 2, 2005

(IMG:http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0602/4562735_200X150.jpg)

LOS ANGELES -- Two people were killed Thursday in a crash at California Speedway in Fontana.

A private car club was renting the speedway at the time of the crash.

A Porsche Carrera GT crashed into a retaining wall and came to rest on the track's infield. Authorities said two people were in the vehicle at the time of the crash.

One person was pronounced dead at the scene.

The second person in the car was transported by Mercy Air to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. That person later died.

The track is home to the California 500, Nextel Cup 500, the Toyota Indy 400 and other motorsport events. The 2-mile D-shaped oval surrounds an infield portion used for road courses and a 13-turn interior test circuit.

Private parties can rent the track to turn laps.

Be safe out there guys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
00 SS
post Jun 3 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Experienced Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 197

Terrible news.

On a side note, we had a car just like that at our local autoX on sunday. It sounded like an F1 car. Someone said they go for about $450,000

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 3 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #3

FRRAX Owner/Admin

QUOTE (00 SS @ Jun 3 2005, 08:43)
Someone said they go for about $450,000

Yes, that's about right. I saw a video from an autocross with one of them running, maybe it was your event.

+Quote Post
LT4Firehawk
post Jun 3 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5

Here's the full details on it:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ad.php?t=207543

Apparently, a Ferrari driver was waived onto the track in error, and came out in front of the GT which was traveling at about 150MPH. The Porsche took evasive action and missed the Ferrari but ended up in the wall.

+Quote Post
AllZWay
post Jun 3 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 74

Terrible story.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jun 3 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 27

Yes this is HORRIBLE news....

Just goes to show you how careful you guys NEED TO BE out there. Don't mean to upset anyone here, or step on anyones toes, but this type of thing would worry me a lot in HPDE events. I don't know this guys situation, but it seems at the VERY FEW HPDE events I have been to, there are PLENTY of guys with more money than brains/skill, and they could and do get themselves into trouble more than occaisionally---fortunately not this bad typically. I also hear plenty of stories of how guys "are blowing the doors off" Ferraris and Porsches at their club events...all good and well, but there are also stories of how these big money guys "don't like to get passed" and will "hold you up"....one NEVER knows when pushing an inexperienced driver ABOVE his limits because he or she is embarassed to be passed by a lowly Chevy, will cause them to lose it and maybe take you out with them....

BE CAREFUL GUYS!

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jun 3 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #7

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jun 3 2005, 10:53)
Yes this is HORRIBLE news....

Just goes to show you how careful you guys NEED TO BE out there. Don't mean to upset anyone here, or step on anyones toes, but this type of thing would worry me a lot in HPDE events. I don't know this guys situation, but it seems at the VERY FEW HPDE events I have been to, there are PLENTY of guys with more money than brains/skill, and they could and do get themselves into trouble more than occaisionally---fortunately not this bad typically. I also hear plenty of stories of how guys "are blowing the doors off" Ferraris and Porsches at their club events...all good and well, but there are also stories of how these big money guys "don't like to get passed" and will "hold you up"....one NEVER knows when pushing an inexperienced driver ABOVE his limits because he or she is embarassed to be passed by a lowly Chevy, will cause them to lose it and maybe take you out with them....

BE CAREFUL GUYS!

Yeah, it is a shame this happened. What you said is what I described in my recent post in this section about my trip to the Ferrari club day about a month ago:

"All in all I was happy that I run with the BMW club. They are much more friendly and they aren’t ashamed to give point-bys. The skills of the drivers in the advanced group in the BMW Club seem to be much higher than the advanced group Ferrari guys. Some of these guys at Pocono weren’t even close to the correct line."

I wasn't overly impressed with how the Ferrari Club track day was run. Have you ever seen anything like this?----They almost didn't let me out with an instructor in the car? I'm a intermediate/advanced student. Why would it even be a question of whether to have a more knowledgeable trained instructor with you:

VIDEO"Blue students can't take passenger/instructors out?!?!?!?" VIDEO

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 3 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #8

FRRAX Owner/Admin

After wading through pages and pages of posts on about a half dozen boards (that corner carvers thread had a link to a board, that linked to a board, etc) it appears that he was an experienced enthusiast with several very nice cars and was not a novice driver (though I don't know his actual level of experience, it appears that he was not new at this). I'm going to guess that there are very few people on this planet who would not potentially be "in over their head" in that car or have the ability to wind up there. I don't mean this as a negative reflection on the driver, but more as a statement that it is a tremendous amount of car. However, the same thing could have easily happened in a Corvette, 911, Camaro, Cobra, etc (though possibly at a lower speed due to the HP differences). As Randy said, it should cause us to reflect upon our safety prep, both car and driver.

Be safe out there.

I can't imagine the great loss to both families involved and wish them the best in a very difficult time. The ability to learn from this and possibly save another life is likely the only positive we can take away from this tragic event.

+Quote Post
CMC #37
post Jun 3 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #9

CMCer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 194

Everyone brings up good points concerning safety. As an instructor and racer I cannot emphasize this enough. Looking at the aftermath here we have a topless car with pretty much airbags, probably stock seatbelts and nothing else really for protection. If you are going to play on the track then do your safety first, get a cage, head and neck protection, fire and a good 3" belt system. I have seen too many crumpled up cars in high performance driving events. The ones with good cages always do better. My mantra: "Safety is planned, accidents are not."

Coincidentally I spoke with the NASA track marshall before I went on track at California Speedway. I'm sure the tips he gave me about that track kept me from making common mistakes and having the awesome weekend I did back in March. It is worth finding these guys before you go on a new track. I know they(entire safety crew) go through their own personal hells when something like this happens, my thoughts go out to them as well as the families and friends involved.

+Quote Post
RedHardSupra
post Jun 3 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

i think i'd rather be dead than see the repair bills for a wall crash of a carrera GT :/

damn, just in time for me to chill out, i'm going to autobahn north loop tommorow and i heard it's got some high speed turns. i hope i'll be able to post stuff monday. if not, we can blame it all on trackbird, it's his brakes (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
SVTHuh
post Jun 3 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 472

Thats horrible..

I really hope that everyone can take this story to heart.. Be Careful!

+Quote Post
trackbird
post Jun 3 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #12

FRRAX Owner/Admin

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

Update:

Two Killed In Crash At California Speedway

POSTED: 3:23 pm PDT June 2, 2005
UPDATED: 11:05 am PDT June 3, 2005

FONTANA, Calif. -- Two San Diego County men were killed when their Porsche crashed and burned at the California Speedway, authorities said.

The 2005 Porsche Carrera GT went out of control, left the inside track and careened onto the grass, hit a barrier and caught fire at 10:40 a.m. Thursday, San Bernardino County officials said.

The passenger, Corey Nicholas Rudl, 34, died at the scene. The driver, Benjamin Miles Keaton, 39, was airlifted to Loma Linda University Hospital, where he died about an hour later, according to the county coroner's office.

The La Jolla men were not burned but died of crash injuries, Supervising Deputy Coroner Randy Emon said.

Both men were wearing helmets and safety belts but the car was doing more than 100 mph when it crashed, authorities said.

"The driver's side was in good shape, but the passenger side was obliterated," Emon said.

The accident occurred while the track was being rented by the San Diego chapter of the Ferrari Owners Club, speedway spokesman Dennis Bickmeier said.

Clubs commonly use the speedway when professional races aren't going on, he said.

The men are the fourth and fifth fatalities at California Speedway since it opened in 1997.

Fontana is 55 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jun 3 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Jun 3 2005, 11:35)
Looking at the aftermath here we have a topless car with pretty much airbags, probably stock seatbelts and nothing else really for protection. If you are going to play on the track then do your safety first, get a cage, head and neck protection, fire and a good 3" belt system. I have seen too many crumpled up cars in high performance driving events. The ones with good cages always do better. My mantra: "Safety is planned, accidents are not."

....good points Julie....

I gotta say....if was going to spend ANYTHING other that a once or twice type of thing at speeds of over 100 MPH....I WOULD NOT DO SO WITHOUT A FULL CAGE and the accompanying safety equipment....

With a wife and two kids who depend on me daily...I can BARELY justify the risk of amatuer racing with "pro level" safety equipment....this is one area where I do NOT skimp on....performance mods ALWAYS come second...

Take note guys and gals and stay safe!

+Quote Post
CMC#64
post Jun 3 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 713

QUOTE (rmackintosh @ Jun 3 2005, 14:32)
....good points Julie....

I gotta say....if was going to spend ANYTHING other that a once or twice type of thing at speeds of over 100 MPH....I WOULD NOT DO SO WITHOUT A FULL CAGE and the accompanying safety equipment....

With a wife and two kids who depend on me daily...I can BARELY justify the risk of amatuer racing with "pro level" safety equipment....this is one area where I do NOT skimp on....performance mods ALWAYS come second...

Take note guys and gals and stay safe!

Exactly what my wife said.... As I was buying the cars I need to get one on the track we were discussing fire bottles and she said we are NOT going to skimp on the safety equipment, she wants a fire supression system vice a hand held bottle in my car.... her family has been into sprint car racing for years and she's seen it all when it comes to accidents...

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Jun 3 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #15

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (CMC #37 @ Jun 3 2005, 12:35)
Everyone brings up good points concerning safety. As an instructor and racer I cannot emphasize this enough. Looking at the aftermath here we have a topless car with pretty much airbags, probably stock seatbelts and nothing else really for protection. If you are going to play on the track then do your safety first, get a cage,  head and neck protection, fire and a good 3" belt system. I have seen too many crumpled up cars in high performance driving events. The ones with good cages always do better.  My mantra: "Safety is planned, accidents are not."

Right on. I bumped up the safety in my car over the winter by correctly mounting my belts and putting in an aluminum race seat with back braces. I've also been wearing a Nomex suit now. I'm thinking a HANS device will be next followed by conversion from a 6pt to a full cage. It doesn't even have to be your mistake, it can be car failure, oil, etc. You never know. (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Formula WS6
post Jun 4 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

the passenger was married just 30 days ago. for whatever reason that is a huge fear of mine. im young im not about to get married, but the thought of me finally finding that special someone only to leave them or have them leave me unexpectedly shortly after getting married really bothers me. this whole situation just sucks and i feel for all those involved

+Quote Post
TOO Z MAXX
post Jun 4 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 181

I feel for the familys and friends of these guys. What a horrible accident.
Some very good advice I am hearing from all of you guys and we always want to double check everything when at the race track.

I am sure somehow this wiil impact all of us because I am sure a lawsuit is sure to follow.

+Quote Post
GM01SS
post Jun 4 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #18

Nitto Destroyer!

Member No.: 29

What a Tragedy!

This is why alot of Clubs putting on HPDE are no longer allowing Convertables.
That being said, I too have been in the "minority" when @ many HPDE events, Porshe, BMW, Shelby/Mustang, etc. I have been "Allowed" to pass with some groups, others have the mentalty that their car is better thereforethey shound not "Have" to let me by.

Lets all try to 'Behave" correctly, and watch out for the other driver!

My prayers to all involved.

Gary Matteson & Family

+Quote Post
35th_Anniversary...
post Jun 4 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #19

Chapter 11 Racing

Member No.: 207

I too feel bad for the families.

Accidents happen.

Don't know how much of a chance someone would have if they had a rollcage since if you hit something dead on at 150 you're pretty much screwed.

+Quote Post
rmackintosh
post Jun 4 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (35th_Anniversary_AS_Camaro_SS @ Jun 3 2005, 19:39)
Don't know how much of a chance someone would have if they had a rollcage since if you hit something dead on at 150 you're pretty much screwed.

...you'ld be surprised...I was racing with that Griggs racing Mustang last year that they posted on their website as an "advertisement" to the integrity of their cages/cars.....He was FLAT OUT up and under start/finish at Laguna when a Spec Miata driver decided to move over into him while he was at about 140 .....he went STRAIGHT INTO THE WALL...and he WAS hurt...but nothing more than cracked ribs and a broken ankle if memory serves correct.....cages/well built cars saves lives.....

Doing 150 in a CONVERTABLE with stock seat belts and a helmet is I.N.S.A.N.E.... (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:50 PM