IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Blaine Fabrication.comUMI PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringSolo PerformanceHotpart.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Power seat for a race car, Worst possible combo of drivers
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 5 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #1

ReEntryRacer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 569

Many years ago I spent a day in a rental tube frame RR car that was equipped with a power adjustable seat in the driver's position. It went side to side a bit, as well as accomodating 6'3 and 5'4 drivers. I really need to find a seat that will do this, as I have a new (small!) young driver in my 3rd gen car now, and the seat moving sysem I have now just won't cut it. We do pit stops in the series I run, and we need to swap in and out in less than 60 seconds. Anybody have a lead on something like this? We are mandated to a head and neck restraint next season, so that's in the mix too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tonycook
post Sep 8 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 176

I use some firm padding in my seat that I remove for my co driver.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 9 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #3

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (tonycook @ Sep 8 2011, 03:11 PM) *
I use some firm padding in my seat that I remove for my co driver.

We are doing that now, but the lack of shoulder support/protection from the seat is not good, and either is the inability to get the clutch or brake all the way down, even with the seat set fully forward! We simply can't do a driver change during a pit stop. We are thinking about getting one of those expensive bean-bag kits to create a better 'plug', but it still won't let me into the car with the seat bolted forward for him. I have already tried the Corbeau manual slider but it raises the seat too much for me, and is a poor seat support. Maybe I should prowl the wrecking yards for a very low-rise motorized slider from a small car?

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Sep 9 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,311

The 4th gen power seat set up in my Camaro keeps the chair pretty low. Only hesitation I would see is that it is dead slow. Perhaps a 4th gen track with a motor upgrade would be an option?

-Tim

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 9 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #5

ReEntryRacer

I also own a 4th gen Firehawk and I could live with the speed of the seat travel I guess. I have modified the rack on that one to allow an extra 2 inches of rear travel, but I'm still a better fit in the race car with the longer fabricated mounting bars bars I built from flat stock. I wonder if I could adapt/build a longer rack for the stock 4th gen unit? I still wish I could find the source for that power race seat in the old tube frame Grand Prix back in '99!

+Quote Post
NJSPEEDER
post Sep 9 2011, 04:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,311

Seems like all you would need to do is get a spare slider, knock the stop off, section in a little more track section and gusset as needed.

I have never looked at the motors but I wouldn't be surprised if someplace in the Grainger/Radio Shack/Billows.............whatever catalog there was a quicker crawl rate replacement the same size.

-Tim

+Quote Post
Al weyman
post Sep 9 2011, 08:20 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80,843

On the belts issue I know people who have two sets in the car one for each driver and a nice fitted seat cusion they bung in as they change drivers.

+Quote Post
CrashTestDummy
post Sep 9 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Veteran Member

Member No.: 385

The driver could continue adjusting the seat while they make it to track-in, and probably get things set well, so I don't think speed of the motor will be an issue. Additionally, you can get the belts tight and then pull the seat up some more to get them even tighter. That would be a good thing. Find a power seat adjuster out of a 3rd Gen Trans Am, there are a bunch of people parting them out at 3rd Gen.org all the time. You should be able to get a working one that way.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/interior-parts-sale/

I've thought about getting one for our CP ride, as it would allow upward motion as well as front-to-back. The harness-tightening thing is really nice, I used to do it in our 95 Impala SS when we'd autocross it. Our manual OEM seat rack does a pretty nice job getting us nice and close to the controls too, though.

+Quote Post
FASTFATBOY
post Sep 13 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #9

Experienced Member

Member No.: 1,410

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Sep 9 2011, 03:05 AM) *
I also own a 4th gen Firehawk and I could live with the speed of the seat travel I guess. I have modified the rack on that one to allow an extra 2 inches of rear travel, but I'm still a better fit in the race car with the longer fabricated mounting bars bars I built from flat stock. I wonder if I could adapt/build a longer rack for the stock 4th gen unit? I still wish I could find the source for that power race seat in the old tube frame Grand Prix back in '99!

Can I get a heads up on your power track mod, I need those 2 inches.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 13 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #10

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (FASTFATBOY @ Sep 13 2011, 07:57 AM) *
QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Sep 9 2011, 03:05 AM) *

Can I get a heads up on your power track mod, I need those 2 inches.

Sure, its simple. Remove the seat, look at the aft end of the rack. See the factory swage that limits rear travel. Use a rivet gun/air hammer with a flat snap to punch that swage back in line with the rest of the rack. Re-install seat. Get about 2 inches extra leg room! The rear of the seat will bottom out on the carpet, but it hasn't cut it yet.

+Quote Post
mesospeedy
post Sep 16 2011, 01:44 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 21,503

I have sparco sport seats with stock 4th gen power adjuster. I'm nearly 6ft and it makes my head nearly hit the t top with my helmet on (of course the tops are out while on track, but that gives an idea how high it is). I thinks its way too high, but it might be ok if I fab a new adapter bracket. The power seat stuff was already there when I purchased the seats.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 16 2011, 02:54 AM
Post #12

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (mesospeedy @ Sep 15 2011, 06:44 PM) *
I have sparco sport seats with stock 4th gen power adjuster. I'm nearly 6ft and it makes my head nearly hit the t top with my helmet on (of course the tops are out while on track, but that gives an idea how high it is). I thinks its way too high, but it might be ok if I fab a new adapter bracket. The power seat stuff was already there when I purchased the seats.

I am hoping a modified 3rd gen rack can be grafted onto my Corbeau. It has just enough room now for my helmet with a 2" foam pad in the bucket. If I take that out, I sit too low, so it might work. I have a rack coming soon. I'll mount the whole thing as low as possible and see what happens.

+Quote Post
tonycook
post Sep 16 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Does the series require a seat back brace?
I did use the power seat mechanism from my 4th gen with a Sparco seat for hpde and time trial until I put a real cage in the car. Seems like there was not a lot of headroom. The cage builder did not like the electric seat for safety reasons. I did not ask what the safety reasons were, I just let him mount the seat in the way he thought best.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 17 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #14

ReEntryRacer

Yes, if its not a seat approved to be used without a back brace. I was thinking a tube within a tube and a pinch setup with a tee handle to quickly loosen and then retighten after the seat stops moving. I'll have all winter to engineer something that works, I hope!

+Quote Post
tonycook
post Sep 17 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Sep 16 2011, 09:22 PM) *
Yes, if its not a seat approved to be used without a back brace. I was thinking a tube within a tube and a pinch setup with a tee handle to quickly loosen and then retighten after the seat stops moving. I'll have all winter to engineer something that works, I hope!

Then I would use tubes with holes drilled at the appropriate spots to put a pin through instead of the pinch setup. Might be quicker and more secure, but wouldn't allow as much adjustment.

+Quote Post
ReEntryRacer
post Sep 21 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #16

ReEntryRacer

QUOTE (tonycook @ Sep 17 2011, 06:52 AM) *
QUOTE (ReEntryRacer @ Sep 16 2011, 09:22 PM) *

Then I would use tubes with holes drilled at the appropriate spots to put a pin through instead of the pinch setup. Might be quicker and more secure, but wouldn't allow as much adjustment.

Good idea! I'll plan to put a pin at each of the two positions we'd be using, full forward and full aft. Maybe I can use pit-pins that will work quickly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 02:50 PM