Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #233 is retired till late spring
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
roadracetransam
Well. banghead.gif Motor is blown. It happened 3 weeks ago. Buttonwillow raceway on the first lap of the first competition session of the weekend. I was hoping to pull the engine out the last 3 weekends to find out exactly what went sour, but did not get around to it yet. So here is what I know so far:
The engine got a bit louder, sounded like the Y-pipe was falling off (so I thought at the time.) Than 15 seconds later, POPP, whole car filled with smoke. Engine stumbled for a second and than died. (Never turned over ever since.) I coasted thru the next 2 corners, (I was carrying speed and just hit a downhill,) staying way off line, and pulled off behind the flag stand on the infield. Once I got towed into the pits, I found out the damage. 2" hole on the side of the block. Apparently a rod, or part of the crank was trying to exit through there. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to see the damage since it is on the passenger side, right were the dip stick tube connects.
I will definitely need a short block. I am undecided on what direction to go. Back to stock, (run CMC2 in the future), rebuild current setup with the ridiculous cam I got (run TTB or PTB) or build a stroker (run AI). For CMC2, AI, I also got to swap transmissions. For PTB, AIX I can keep what I got. But AIX will need a serious engine and plenty of $$$, just to be in the same ballpark as Rocco. (one can always dream)
Anyway, due to lack of funds, I won't be running any time soon.
As for the Regional Championships, I losed 2nd place. Big Thank you to Artur who let me borrow his girlfriend's 3rd gen. I went for a "Sunday" drive for 3 laps to get last place points on Sunday. With that I locked in 3rd place for the season.
Also, thank you to John for the moral support his Coronas gave me Saturday. drink.gif
firehawkclone
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Oct 31 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Well. banghead.gif Motor is blown. It happened 3 weeks ago. Buttonwillow raceway on the first lap of the first competition session of the weekend. I was hoping to pull the engine out the last 3 weekends to find out exactly what went sour, but did not get around to it yet. So here is what I know so far:
The engine got a bit louder, sounded like the Y-pipe was falling off (so I thought at the time.) Than 15 seconds later, POPP, whole car filled with smoke. Engine stumbled for a second and than died. (Never turned over ever since.) I coasted thru the next 2 corners, (I was carrying speed and just hit a downhill,) staying way off line, and pulled off behind the flag stand on the infield. Once I got towed into the pits, I found out the damage. 2" hole on the side of the block. Apparently a rod, or part of the crank was trying to exit through there. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to see the damage since it is on the passenger side, right were the dip stick tube connects.
I will definitely need a short block. I am undecided on what direction to go. Back to stock, (run CMC2 in the future), rebuild current setup with the ridiculous cam I got (run TTB or PTB) or build a stroker (run AI). For CMC2, AI, I also got to swap transmissions. For PTB, AIX I can keep what I got. But AIX will need a serious engine and plenty of $$$, just to be in the same ballpark as Rocco. (one can always dream)
Anyway, due to lack of funds, I won't be running any time soon.
As for the Regional Championships, I losed 2nd place. Big Thank you to Artur who let me borrow his girlfriend's 3rd gen. I went for a "Sunday" drive for 3 laps to get last place points on Sunday. With that I locked in 3rd place for the season.
Also, thank you to John for the moral support his Coronas gave me Saturday. drink.gif

Anytime Scott drink.gif

You can get motor/tran's and PCM off of ebay for $2500+, change out the rod bolts and oil pump and come race AI. You won't need much more motor, beside's your car is pretty lite already.

And going racing get's expensive fast before you hit the track nutkick.gif

It's tough to do, but you may need to take a whole year off and build the car for AI like I did.
y5e06
change out the rod bolts and oil pump and come race AI.
wink.gif

You live in Cali, how could you NOT convert and just race in THE DUECETM (CMC-2)? No cubic bucks there, just tight racing
trackbird
Sorry to hear that Scott. I was hoping your luck would turn around after the nationals. That sucks.
killer_bluebird
Sorry to hear Scott! after all the troubles that you had at the Nationals with the fuel pump and now the engine. It sounds like you are having a rough year mechanically, but I'm Glad to hear you where able to get 3rd place in spite of it. Congrats!
CMC #37
QUOTE (y5e06 @ Oct 31 2007, 08:13 AM) *
change out the rod bolts and oil pump and come race AI.
wink.gif

You live in Cali, how could you NOT convert and just race in THE DUECETM (CMC-2)? No cubic bucks there, just tight racing

Amen. Unless you like taking lots of time off, CMC or CMC 2 is full on fun, with out the bad aftertaste of expensive sheeit gone wrong on a regular basis! smile.gif
rmackintosh
So sorry to hear that...... blink.gif

TRUST me when I say.....I feel your pain..... nutkick.gif
GlennCMC70
why is your current trans not legal? what is it?
firehawkclone
QUOTE (Glenn98ZM6 @ Oct 31 2007, 12:31 PM) *

It's an AUTO! ph34r.gif blink.gif
rmackintosh
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Oct 31 2007, 03:08 PM) *

DOH! blink.gif
supermac
offtopic.gif Morgan you going CMC-2 next year?
Sorry for the Hi-Jack
roadracetransam
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Oct 31 2007, 01:08 PM) *

I like to make belive it is a Jerico, rotf.gif or one of those Ferrari jobs.

I was planning on taking most of the year off, but I would like to run California Speedway.
QUASAR
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Oct 31 2007, 04:08 PM) *

Yea I took a quick peek inside at nats and had to do a double take.

Sorry to hear about the motor. What kind of miles did it have on it? What kind of rpm did it see? I've got the factory L19 rod bolts in mine (all 2001+). If you end up putting another 98-00 stocker back in it definitely consider the GM L19's, ARP replacements, or Katechs.
roadracetransam
QUOTE (QUASAR @ Nov 1 2007, 01:29 PM) *
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Oct 31 2007, 04:08 PM) *

Yea I took a quick peek inside at nats and had to do a double take.

Sorry to hear about the motor. What kind of miles did it have on it? What kind of rpm did it see? I've got the factory L19 rod bolts in mine (all 2001+). If you end up putting another 98-00 stocker back in it definitely consider the GM L19's, ARP replacements, or Katechs.

It had 2000 miles on it. ARP bolts, stock rods, stock crank, Mahle? pistons. I still havent pulled her appart, so I still don't really know how it all happened.
Rev limiter was set at 7100. It hit 7000 a few times, I usually shifted at 6500. When she went, I just lifted off the throttle at around 6200. I did not miss any shifts that morning. (Yes, I can miss them with my tranny, it has a manual valve body, ect.)
roadracetransam
I finally pulled the engine and dropped the pan. It looks like everything is gone from the heads down, the heads may be gone too since the timing chain was broken too. Here are some pictures:

I think I can weld that connecting rod back together. rolleyes.gif
roadracetransam
more pict:

firehawkclone
Yep I seen that once, no twice....... OK three times dunno.gif laugh.gif
Casey_SS
Ouch! That's some serious discoloration on those two rods....any idea what the root cause was? Looks like they got cooked pretty good before letting go...
bsim
Oooph. banghead.gif
nape
QUOTE (Casey_SS @ Nov 5 2007, 12:33 PM) *
....any idea what the root cause was?

Something let go and all hell broke loose! rotf.gif I kill me. biggrin.gif
Absolut Speed
Nice forensic job recreating the scene of the accident there! Too bad you had to though.
roadracetransam
7 months of not hearing the sweet rumble of a V8 in the garage can become defening.
It all changed last night. drink.gif
I finished the wireing on #233 (again for the 5th time in 3 years),
turned the safety cut off on, turned the ignition toggle on, turned the instument toggle on.
Scaned the system with the Tech2. Everything checks out, except the ABS is throwing a code (I'll worry about that later)
Pushed the clutch in (I have one of those now)
Hit the strater toggle.... Turned over 3 times, than started.
SHE IS ALIVE. Sweet, sweet rumble fills the garage.
Oil pressure good, slight water leak at the upper radiator hose, smoke coming off the oily passenger side header.
Idle is a bit high, 2000 rpm, I got to adjust the TB stop, and the PCM (those were still set for the old cammed-up engine)
The car is still on jack stands, I want to bleed the brakes one last time before putting it on the ground.

So what took so long....
First I had to source a good used stock LS1 for the right price. Fund one in Las Vegas, took a gamble and picked it up.
I traded the Auto Tranny for a 6 speed.
The car went on a major diet. I am estimating 3100 lb with me in it (100 lb short of my goal, but the front and rear glass is not Lexan yet)
Roll cage got extended, stenghtend.
Seat moved back and over.
New pedals ( I still need to build a throttle pedal)
New steering column, wheel, ect.
Dash is gone.
ABS is moved, power brakes are gone, lines are rerouted.
Radiator is repositioned.
New front spliter, bumper support.
On and on and on.....

Anyway now I know that the new (used) motor runs. It cased me some anxiety over the last few months, wondering if it runs or not.

Otherwise the car is 90% ready to run TT or HPDE. 80% ready for racing (safety items missing).
CMC #37
Cool Scott, keep on hammering, it will get done! smile.gif
rmackintosh
OUCH!!!!!!!!! blink.gif

Sorry to see that! Hope you get it back in good order soon!
StanIROCZ
beerchug.gif

I just got mine on the road this past weekend and I have A LOT of engine tuning to do.. Plus I got to pull the trans again to add the VSS.

So when is the first track day?
roadracetransam
QUOTE (StanIROCZ @ May 27 2008, 02:19 PM) *
beerchug.gif

I just got mine on the road this past weekend and I have A LOT of engine tuning to do.. Plus I got to pull the trans again to add the VSS.

There is June 7/8 or/and June 21/22....
Most likely I will be there with out a hood or spoiler since there is a delay in getting that. So aero testing is out. It will be brake, suspension, tuneing, as well as checking the tranny/clutch for smooth operation....
CMC #37
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ May 27 2008, 04:46 PM) *
beerchug.gif

Most likely I will be there with out a hood or spoiler since there is a delay in getting that. So aero testing is out. It will be brake, suspension, tuneing, as well as checking the tranny/clutch for smooth operation....

You sound like me, wanting to get it as good as possible before any competition events!
roadracetransam
QUOTE (CMC #37 @ May 27 2008, 02:49 PM) *
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ May 27 2008, 04:46 PM) *
beerchug.gif

You sound like me, wanting to get it as good as possible before any competition events!

Yep, I am trying something new. blink.gif Last year I left it mostly up to chance.... did not work out as much... rolleyes.gif
firehawkclone
Right on bud, can't wait to have you out there with me!
roadracetransam
ABS issue is solved. The negative wire for the brake lights did not have a good contact.

Fixed!
rmackintosh
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ May 30 2008, 03:08 PM) *
ABS issue is solved. The negative wire for the brake lights did not have a good contact.

Fixed!

That's a HELL of a system GM designed there....if the brake lights don't work.....lets make the BRAKE SYSTEM not work correctly...... unsure.gif blink.gif
roadracetransam
QUOTE (rmackintosh @ May 30 2008, 04:11 PM) *
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ May 30 2008, 03:08 PM) *

Fixed!

That's a HELL of a system GM designed there....if the brake lights don't work.....lets make the BRAKE SYSTEM not work correctly...... unsure.gif blink.gif

Yeah.... Here is the reasoning..... If they can't see your brake lights, disable the brakes so they won't run into because you can't stop..... banghead.gif
roadracetransam
Drove the car for the first time in 8 months last Sunday. Just around the block. I forgot how hard she pulls...
Everything looks good so far (knock on wood). Still missing a hood and spolier, but it is complette enough to start testing.
firehawkclone
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Jun 2 2008, 10:00 PM) *
Drove the car for the first time in 8 months last Sunday. Just around the block. I forgot how hard she pulls...
Everything looks good so far (knock on wood). Still missing a hood and spolier, but it is complette enough to start testing.

Check with Mike chief of tech(or Ryan) to make sure you can run with no hood!
roadracetransam
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Jun 2 2008, 10:09 PM) *

I did ask Mike last week and he OK'd it. I just want to set up the brakes, pedals, ride height, corner weigh, set toe. I won't push it hard on track. I am a little apprehensive running around in my neiborhood, (very suburban) also there are a lots of cops crusing on the main steet. So I can do much tuning at home.
Are you coming out next weekend? If you are, can you bring your toe plates?
firehawkclone
QUOTE (roadracetransam @ Jun 3 2008, 09:21 AM) *
QUOTE (firehawkclone @ Jun 2 2008, 10:09 PM) *

I did ask Mike last week and he OK'd it. I just want to set up the brakes, pedals, ride height, corner weigh, set toe. I won't push it hard on track. I am a little apprehensive running around in my neiborhood, (very suburban) also there are a lots of cops crusing on the main steet. So I can do much tuning at home.
Are you coming out next weekend? If you are, can you bring your toe plates?

Mike is pretty cool. No i'm not, I might be able to drop them. Or just about everyone will have some at the track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.