Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weight Reduction Forum??
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Administrative > Site Suggestions and Comments
Teutonic Speedracer
I know we just added a new section for aero which I think is great. What about another forum for weight reduction? It seems there are posts ending up in General, Road Race, Autocross, etc. for weight reduction. It also seems like it is an area of great interest among many.

Just a thought.

Dennis
trackbird
If you guys want it, I'm game. Lets here some input and we'll go from there.
v7guy
I've seen alot of of it end up in chassis and suspension, that's probably where it belongs without a dedicated forum.

Weight reduction is fairly basic though isn't it? Not much theory involved. It's pretty much cold hard fact of what things weigh and where/what you can take out of the car. Maybe best served by a sticky. I dunno, maybe we could try it and see how much it is actually used. I'd me mildly interested in seeing everything compiled.
trackbird
I'm not against a sticky (or a forum if there seems to be demand).
ESPCamaro
IMO this would be best in a sticky. BUT a sticky that has a list of what things weigh, and thats it. A locked sticky keeps the topic from becoming a 5 page discussion that you have to wade through to get what you want.

My vote locked sticky.

I do however think that a general discusion tech area is a good idea. The regular general discussion would be new car models, what we did for the weekend, political stuff etc,etc.
General tech would be questions about what length tubing for control arms,
where to get a 3/4" bore rod end with 5/8" shank, what thread size is the Koni shock shaft, What options were available on V6 cars.

Really basic stuff that doesn't really get looks from people who don't have time for the general discussion area, or that clutters the chassis section.

JMHO.
Blainefab
I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in a weight reduction forum - getting a car to min wt is one of the critical prep items. I've been quite successful in trimming CMC cars to minimum, and I learn new tricks on every new project. The last 50# off the car makes a whole lot more difference than the first 50#.
trackbird
I think the deal is, once we learn what everything weighs, it's a matter of just taking it out. I'll gladly build the forum if everyone wants to try it. Worst case, I move the posts and delete the forum if it doesn't work out. It's pretty painless.

It's up to you guys. Who else has input?
Teutonic Speedracer
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Sep 13 2005, 22:22)
I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in a weight reduction forum - getting a car to min wt is one of the critical prep items.  I've been quite successful in trimming CMC cars to minimum, and I learn new tricks on every new project.  The last 50# off the car makes a whole lot more difference than the first 50#.

Exactly! My car isn't a racecar yet, but a serious track car. I noticed how much of a difference a few hundred pounds removed made last winter!
Cal
I think it's worth having a forum. There is more to it than meets the eye. A simple list of what everything weighs works for the drag racers, but we need more than that. You can just remove stuff for a while, then you need to start replacing parts with lighter weight parts. The replacement part has to be lighter than the original, yet strong enough to get the job done. It can be made of a more expensive material though. So it can get involved from a materials and stress analysis point of view.
trackbird
It's done. I'll have to search and move posts into it later tonight (anything related that belongs there), any of the mods are free to move anything you feel belongs there.

If it doesn't work, I'll move the posts back and kill the forum. Lets give it a try.

cool2.gif
Teutonic Speedracer
Thanks Kevin! This is a good place for the out of ordinary weight removal. Wiring, grinding, non-obvious stuff when you are looking for things to take out on a Saturday! beerchug.gif
Crazy Canuck
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 19 2005, 16:23)
It's done. I'll have to search and move posts into it later tonight (anything related that belongs there), any of the mods are free to move anything you feel belongs there.

If it doesn't work, I'll move the posts back and kill the forum. Lets give it a try.

cool2.gif

no problem... took the liberty of moving a thread called "Weight Reduction" rotf.gif into the section... at least, it's no longer empty.
trackbird
QUOTE (Eugenio_SS @ Sep 19 2005, 16:41)
QUOTE (trackbird @ Sep 19 2005, 16:23)

cool2.gif

no problem... took the liberty of moving a thread called "Weight Reduction" rotf.gif into the section... at least, it's no longer empty.

Woo hoo.....the first thread.....

beerchug.gif

Thanks Eugenio.
nape
Sweet. I have a feeling I'll be frequenting that forum a lot, I seem to be a weight freak on the car even though I put on 40lbs myself in the last year. rotf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.