IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
Hotpart.comBlaine Fabrication.comSolo PerformanceUnbalanced EngineeringUMI Performance

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions on longer wheel studs?
ledfoot2
post Mar 22 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 219

Does anyone have a suggestion on the length of studs to run with spacers? I am running 5/16 spacers and I need more thread on the studs. Any suggestions on vendors?
Thanks guys.

Here is a link to a video of the Trans Am a PCA event last weekend. I still need springs and the motor only had 10 miles on it, so it was a break in run, but it is getting better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRC-jgo59Y
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowTA
post Mar 22 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Experienced Member

Member No.: 331

I bought a set of GM studs p/n 22551491, I decided to try them since they are nut starters. I think they're about 2.5" long but haven't installed them yet.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 22 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #3

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

I stock ARP 7708's - they are 2.5" long: plenty for up to 1/2" spacer unless your wheel hub is extra thick. I also stock the 3.25" long 7713's for those oddballs, like Jongbloed race wheels.

This thread has some pics and pricing info: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=8546

+Quote Post
Teutonic Speedra...
post Mar 22 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #4

LS1 Inside! / Toolbox / Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (Blainefab @ Mar 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I stock ARP 7708's - they are 2.5" long: plenty for up to 1/2" spacer unless your wheel hub is extra thick. I also stock the 3.25" long 7713's for those oddballs, like Jongbloed race wheels.

This thread has some pics and pricing info: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=8546

I went with the ARPs as well! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

+Quote Post
cccbock
post Mar 23 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,113

QUOTE (Teutonic Speedracer @ Mar 22 2008, 05:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Blainefab @ Mar 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *

I went with the ARPs as well! (IMG:http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/style_emoticons/default/2thumbs.gif)

Cant go wrong with ARP's. Super strong. And you can use them to chase the threads of crappy wheel nuts......

bock

+Quote Post
Mojave
post Mar 23 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #6

I suck at the auto-x :(

Member No.: 727

ARP's here. Never seen a nut that would ever do any damage to an ARP stud, no matter how cross threaded it went on.

+Quote Post
sgarnett
post Mar 23 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #7

Seeking round tuits

Member No.: 33

Lately, I've noticed that the quality of OEM-style lugnuts from Dorman and "the other company" (can't remeber at the moment) has dropped. I usually find several in the box that apparently were not cleaned/deburred properly between the threading and plating operations. Once a steel shaving is firmly "glued" in place by the plating, it will chew up even the ARP threads. Now I always check the threads on new lugnuts before the first use.

+Quote Post
Blainefab
post Mar 23 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #8

I build race cars

Member No.: 874

QUOTE (sgarnett @ Mar 22 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Lately, I've noticed that the quality of OEM-style lugnuts from Dorman and "the other company" (can't remeber at the moment) has dropped. I usually find several in the box that apparently were not cleaned/deburred properly between the threading and plating operations. Once a steel shaving is firmly "glued" in place by the plating, it will chew up even the ARP threads. Now I always check the threads on new lugnuts before the first use.

I've seen that recently, too - I stock the Gorilla bulge nuts and had a new one scarf up the plating on a new ARP stud on the last axle package I put together. Both the stud and the nut went into the recycle bin. I guess I need to test fit the new nuts on a old stud first.

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post Mar 24 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,646

Just finished with putting in ARP's all the way around. Best bet for the rears is to pull the axels and change the rear end fluid.

+Quote Post
y5e06
post Mar 24 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

with the ARP 7708 you can run 1/2" spacer up front and 3/4" spacer in rear w/o issue.
assuming rotor or wheel flange thicknesses are same as stock

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Mar 24 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #11

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

FYI - it's not necessary to pull the rear axles to put the studs in. It's not a bad idea, but just not a necessity, if you have a car that had ABS.

When you look at the rear portion of the back of the axle flange, you'll see the TCS/ABS sensor held on with 1 bolt. When you remove that sensor, there is a hole in the back of the flange. You can almost push the sensor in from the back, but the reluctor wheel for the ABS is in the way. If you grind just about 1mm of material off the stud head, you can fit the stud past the reluctor wheel.

I did mine in my driveway in about an hour 5 years ago, and they are still working fine.

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post Mar 25 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

When your car doesn't have TCS, trust me it's much easier to just pull the axels. Hell I didn't want to do that but it was so much easier to just do everything in the press and clean the hub end of the axels with them out of the car. Plus it's a good time to do a $20 rear end oil change.

Bret

+Quote Post
00 Trans Ram
post Mar 26 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #13

Experienced Member

Member No.: 303

That's one thing I've always wondered. I utilize the hole in the backing plate to slip the studs through. I guess that GM made 2 different sets of plates? One with holes and one without? I always assumed that they'd have cut costs by just making 1 set with holes, and not supply the electronics with non-TCS cars.

+Quote Post
tonycook
post Mar 27 2008, 03:07 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 176

I just drilled a hole in my backing plate to remove/install the studs through.

+Quote Post
SStrokerAce
post Mar 27 2008, 04:42 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

That place is like 1/4" cast iron on my car, it's so much easier to yank the axles it's not funny.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 06:16 PM