Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new to me 2002 Z28 (convertible)
F-Body Road Racing and Autocross Forums > Community > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
trackbird
I got up at 2am and drug a trailer almost 700 miles today to bring home a 2002 Z28 convertible (6 speed manual). It's a virtual twin (other than a convertible instead of t tops) to my original 2002 that I bought new. I actually believe every option matches right down to the color. It came with piles of service records, a receipt for a new GM installed engine (15k miles/4 years ago) as well as new clutch (with the engine), new window regulators and all kinds of other stuff. The previous owners spent a fortune at the dealer with this car. It was a summer car at the house on lake Michigan. I don't think it's ever seen anything beyond some occasional rain. The steering column is tight and there's no major wear on the seats or steering wheel. It has a few small door dings and I think the paintless dent guys can remove those. Overall, it's a solid and clean car that should be lots of fun. It was also dead stock, not so much as a lid on it.

I'm planning to swap on some larger wheels, lower it a bit, stiffen it a bit, sway bars, exhaust and a "lid". I just want a fun driver to enjoy on nice days. I've actually never owned a convertible in my life, I've always had t tops or targa cars....this should be a new adventure.

I don't have many pics, but I'll add a few before I crawl off to bed.
BumpaD_Z28
NICE ! I've always preferred hard tops over drop tops, but any LS1, 6 speed car is a good time !

CONGRATS smile.gif

~DaVe
CrashTestDummy
Verts are nice. Keep an eye on the stitching on the top. Literally, one day fine, the next, popping at all the seams. If it sees any rain, check the rear quarters in the trunk for water. It's a common problem.

Otherwise, enjoy hammering the throttle with the top down, under an overpass. 2thumbs.gif
trackbird
QUOTE (BumpaD_Z28 @ May 21 2016, 10:53 PM) *
NICE ! I've always preferred hard tops over drop tops, but any LS1, 6 speed car is a good time !

CONGRATS smile.gif

~DaVe

Me too, that's why I've never owned one. I got my wife hooked on T tops/targa cars with the SOM SS I had and the '91 Corvette. She thought a convertible would be fun and I really didn't want one. I looked at cars all over the country and found that most people are "insane" ('98 SS with 117k for $14,700 and piles of others that were priced about the same). I finally told her "I give up, I'm not buying a car....at least not one of these and I can't find anything else that sounds fun".

I was previously emailing with the "dealer" about this vehicle and last Monday he sent a follow up email. I'd already decided I didn't care so I had nothing to lose and thought I'd play ball with him. I told him it was about $3k over my planned budget but maybe we could work it out. He took $1500 off, I double checked with my wife (that she liked the car) and told him I'd be there to see/get it. So....it followed me home.

QUOTE (CrashTestDummy @ May 21 2016, 11:17 PM) *
Verts are nice. Keep an eye on the stitching on the top. Literally, one day fine, the next, popping at all the seams. If it sees any rain, check the rear quarters in the trunk for water. It's a common problem.

Otherwise, enjoy hammering the throttle with the top down, under an overpass. 2thumbs.gif

The top looks new. The floor mats look new. Literally, other than a little bolster wear on the seat (minimal, but it's been "sat in") it looks quite close to new.

Water? I'll keep an eye out for it. I wasn't aware of that issue. Thanks!
Steve91T
Very nice! I'm interested to hear if you notice any difference in the feel of the car, like chassis flex.
trackbird
I'm anxious to get a chance to drive it some and get a feel for the convertible. The car was on consignment so they have to do the title work and send it my way before I can title it and drive it.

Last night I swung by the parts store for 5 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF for the transmission. Today I stopped by Jegs and picked up a shift knob (black Hurst style), a B&M shifter, a differential cover gasket and an SLP front license plate bracket. I also saved the SLP TCS disable module from a previous project (you can't buy them anymore) and I installed that last night.

Now I just have to get under it and change out the fluids while I wait for the paperwork.
trackbird
I'm looking for wheels. I think I want charcoal (like I did on my last car), something tasteful. I'm looking for something that hasn't been "overdone" (I love ZR1's on these cars....but that's been going on for years). The car is really clean and completely original (it's a "time capsule" piece) and I'm trying to be tasteful and not screw it up or ruin it. I'm starting to lean towards these Forgestars:

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection...ock-series/f14/

Like this:

http://www.dv8motoring.com/s/cc_images/cac...pg?t=1328297177

http://s466.photobucket.com/user/ynotdv8/m...06-18e.jpg.html (I know that's a Corvette...lol).

Then I'm left with the decision of 17x9.5's or 18x9.5's (275/40-17 or 275/35-18 tires). I'm worried that 17' tires seem to be slowly going away (or will be soon).

Thoughts?
SuperMacGuy
Oh man you are going down that dirty road to hell called "just a few upgrades" ... haha!

Those wheels are super cool. I personally would stick with 17s. On tirerack I see even Michelin still has a size, and the F1GS which I heard were good can still be had. I like enough sidewall to absorb bumps. As a cruiser you'd want a little better ride than a 18/19 wheel, no?
As for lifespan on 275/40/17, who can say? Call Hoosier and talk to them just to get a read? That's hard to predict. People keep saying that, but if we keep buying 17s then they will still be made (self fulfilling prophecy?). <shrug>
trackbird
QUOTE (SuperMacGuy @ May 22 2016, 09:13 PM) *
Oh man you are going down that dirty road to hell called "just a few upgrades" ... haha!

Yea, we've all seen that road (and you guys well know that I have). This time I'm looking to keep things simple. Suspension is "simple" to me and I enjoy the work. So I'm not looking to remove the valve covers, just a basic "tune up".

I prefer a 17". I just wanted to make sure the "writing wasn't on the wall" about 17" tires....at least not yet.

Also, I've been talking to Ryan and the UMI crew and we're going to collaborate on this project. UMI has been building some really cool cars lately and I'm looking forward to working with them to tune up my new toy.

Yea, the mod list is:

STB (UMI)
SFC (weld in UMI)
Shocks (possibly UMI coil overs)
springs (possibly UMI coil overs)
PHB (UMI)
Sway bars (UMI)
Wheels/tires (Forgestar F14 wheels)
Shifter and knob (B&M)
SLP TCS disable module
SLP "lid"
SLP y pipe (if I can justify it, I fear it may drag on everything, I'll see how it sits when it's done)
Hooker cat back (possibly, my wife thinks it's a bit too loud)
Fresh fluids
Maybe C5 brakes (after I move up from the 16" wheels)
Paintless dent removal for a few small spots and a little paint touch up

I don't plan to change LCA's, they tend to impact ride more than I like. I actually won the SM2 championship in 2005 (OVR region SCCA) using factory LCA's in my car. I want to make it a fun to drive summer toy that could go to an autocross if I wish. Ryan and the UMI guys may change my mind on that, so I reserve the right to adjust that at a later date.
BumpaD_Z28
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:30 PM) *
I'm looking for wheels. I think I want charcoal (like I did on my last car), something tasteful. I'm looking for something that hasn't been "overdone" (I love ZR1's on these cars....but that's been going on for years). The car is really clean and completely original (it's a "time capsule" piece) and I'm trying to be tasteful and not screw it up or ruin it. I'm starting to lean towards these Forgestars:

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection...ock-series/f14/

Like this:

http://www.dv8motoring.com/s/cc_images/cac...pg?t=1328297177

http://s466.photobucket.com/user/ynotdv8/m...06-18e.jpg.html (I know that's a Corvette...lol).

Then I'm left with the decision of 17x9.5's or 18x9.5's (275/40-17 or 275/35-18 tires). I'm worried that 17' tires seem to be slowly going away (or will be soon).

Thoughts?

Love those wheels !

BUT I'd go with 18x10 's w/ 285's all around

~DaVe
trackbird
I guess I should add this link before it and all the pics go away...

This is where I got it, and I didn't pay that for it (I'm amazed they moved on the price, but I managed to get a decent amount off that price).

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/3876...let-camaro-z-28
CrashTestDummy
The water issue may be just our car, and the fact that the top needs to be replaced. Hopefully, you'll be fine.

Those wheels look great! We have Vette knock-offs, and they look similar, and really make the car look nice.

We got our car to satisfy my wife's 'mid-life' crisis. She was looking for a convertible, and the 95 became available from a friend. I know our winter weather is a LOT milder than what you get, but the Z28 was my wife's 'nice weather' winter car. If it wasn't raining, the top was down, even in 30-degree weather. 2thumbs.gif I guess I really need to get the top replaced so we can at least drive it again on those nice cold weather days, since it's not getting much attention on the for sale sites.
slowTA
Dibs on the good stuff when you decide to part it!
trackbird
QUOTE (slowTA @ May 23 2016, 01:04 PM) *
Dibs on the good stuff when you decide to part it!

Ouch....you guys aren't supposed to know me that well.... Ahh, who am I kidding, of course you do. tongue.gif
UMI Performance
This car looks super clean. We are pretty excited to be part of this project. 2thumbs.gif
trackbird
QUOTE (UMI Performance @ May 24 2016, 11:37 AM) *
This car looks super clean. We are pretty excited to be part of this project. 2thumbs.gif

Thanks Ryan! I'm really looking forward to it. It's nice to be back in a 4th gen and I think the convertible is going to be a fun change over what I'm used to. I haven't been shopping for 4th gen parts for a while so I was pleased to see how the UMI product line has expanded since I was last in the market (I had no idea you guys had sway bars among other things).
Bud M
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:35 PM) *
...the mod list is:

STB (UMI)...

There's been so much argument about the (lack of) effectiveness of STBs on 4th gens. I'm kind of surprised to see this on your list. Having said that, I have one on mine.
rocky
I would like to get that UMI coil over kit too. IF you go that route let us know what you think about it.
trackbird
QUOTE (Bud M @ May 24 2016, 02:18 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 22 2016, 06:35 PM) *
...the mod list is:

STB (UMI)...

There's been so much argument about the (lack of) effectiveness of STBs on 4th gens. I'm kind of surprised to see this on your list. Having said that, I have one on mine.

I've always felt like they removed some "cowl shake". I'm not worried about 5 lbs and it "can't hurt". I've added them to every car I've owned and I've always felt like the cars without them "wiggled' a bit more than the cars with them. Even if I only "feel better" about it, it's still not that much weight or money.

QUOTE (rocky @ May 24 2016, 02:23 PM) *
I would like to get that UMI coil over kit too. IF you go that route let us know what you think about it.

I'm still talking to Ryan/UMI, but I'm leaning towards trying it. You guys will know as soon as I do...or just a little bit after. wink.gif And I'll certainly keep you guys in the loop.
Steve91T
I've read on here that the STB does nothing for handling. I'm telling you I feel a surprisingly big difference in steering response. I've driven my car back to back with and without it many times and the difference is so big that I always nearly run off the road to the inside after installing it again.

I would imagine that a convertible will need it even more than a T-top car. Plus it makes the engine compartment look cool.
CrashTestDummy
Our 95 Z vert has amazingly little cowl shake, and it has SFCs and a STB. I can only think they do help some in that aspect.
Bud M
QUOTE (Steve91T @ May 24 2016, 04:12 PM) *
I've read on here that the STB does nothing for handling. I'm telling you I feel a surprisingly big difference in steering response. I've driven my car back to back with and without it many times and the difference is so big that I always nearly run off the road to the inside after installing it again.

I would imagine that a convertible will need it even more than a T-top car. Plus it makes the engine compartment look cool.

Agreed on the steering response comment.
trackbird
You might be able to generate the same skidpad numbers and you can possibly run an autocross course just as quickly without the STB. However, I feel that it helps the "feel" of the car. The car may not be faster or corner any harder, but it seems to "refine" the driving experience to some degree. And for that reason alone, I'll keep putting them on cars. wink.gif
trackbird
Parts are starting to arrive (now if the title would just get here). The shifter arrived from Jegs yesterday as well as an SLP front license plate bracket, diff cover gasket and a skip shift eliminator (it was all shipped from the warehouse) and I found that Summit Racing still had one of the black Hurst 6 speed shift knobs (Hurst shows that they have discontinued those and now only sell the white version) so I ordered that and an SLP "lid". Tonight is my last night of welding class (Advanced TIG) and then I'm going to try to get in the garage and get started on some of the basics. I'm also waiting for an order from UMI to arrive, then I can break out the welder and start the fun stuff!

As I make changes, my wife is going to be test driving the car. The goal is to explain each modification and let her learn the real world effects (chassis stiffness, if it makes noises, etc) of each change. She's been through the BMW performance driving school (when she worked for BMW), so she's not exactly new to performance cars and driving. I think this is going to be fun. wink.gif
mitchntx
Awesome car ...

You were looking at new. What made you decide on a "vintage" camaro?
trackbird
QUOTE (mitchntx @ May 25 2016, 01:50 PM) *
Awesome car ...

You were looking at new. What made you decide on a "vintage" camaro?

Other than sitting in a new one....I was trying not to get rid of my truck. I just expected that I was going to "want" a new one (they are pretty quick and I don't have to touch anything but maybe some suspension). I had family in town recently and the crew cab does a great job of hauling them around town....sadly it's likely one of my more practical decisions.

Honestly I gave up on buying another 4th gen due to the insane prices. I told my wife "I quit". And she liked this convertible (I didn't really want one) and the salesman emailed me back. It seemed pretty reasonable for the condition and I figured it's sorta the devil I know....

Based on current prices, I should be able to keep it a year and ask double what I paid for it..... drink.gif

There's still a small part of me that feels that I should preserve it...just as it is. It's like when you go to a car show and see an original 66 mustang that's dead stock right down to the skinny little bias ply tires. You know it's not fast, but you have to respect the fact that you are actually seeing one as it actually existed from the factory. It's really a time capsule car, stock right down to the air lid and paper filter. I'm a bit shocked at how utterly original it is.
nape
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 25 2016, 01:10 PM) *
Honestly I gave up on buying another 4th gen due to the insane prices.

I thought the same thing until I found this "gem". 167k miles, both window motors burned out, both window tracks shot, exhaust held on by baby C-clamps instead of bolts, random ghetto stereo wiring, 2 sets of LS1 badges (in case you didn't know), and a cylinder with no compression. At least it has a T56. Pretty sure it's going to be a drive train donor for Tragically Teal. wink.gif

Doubt your time capsule will need any parts, but if you need something let me know.
trackbird
I ran into a few 175k mile cars for $3995 (they are out there...and they were 6 speeds). I found a pretty nice '98 SS (in NBM...which I like AND an ebony interior instead of saddle/tan) with 95k on it for $8995. The dealer put it on a lift and sent me pics and I was ready to go buy it when I realized it was a hardtop car (no T tops). Gotta have t tops, targa or a convertible for summer enjoyment. That was the "last" car I was looking at, and I think it's still out there (but I'm not sure).

Tragically teal is back on track? Or on a track at all? That's awesome! I actually told my wife that in hindsight, I should have kept that car and then gone looking for this convertible (or something). I tried to "save" the engine and build a street car (using a Corvette) and for all the money and headaches, I'd have been better off owning the teal terror AND something like this Z28....and it would have been cheaper. Oh well.

Speaking of which, I still have an engine in my garage (from the Camaro/Corvette). Splayed main cap small block. It's looking for a good home! I need the space and it doesn't fit anything I own (though my wife really wants a '69 Camaro....so.....). wink.gif

If I stumble into anything, I'll give you a yell.

This car doesn't even have any scratches on the lower air dam, I don't think the plastic has ever drug the ground (the radiator air deflector up under the body). It's almost scary under there. ph34r.gif
nape
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 26 2016, 05:49 AM) *
Tragically teal is back on track? Or on a track at all? That's awesome! I actually told my wife that in hindsight, I should have kept that car and then gone looking for this convertible (or something). I tried to "save" the engine and build a street car (using a Corvette) and for all the money and headaches, I'd have been better off owning the teal terror AND something like this Z28....and it would have been cheaper. Oh well.

Speaking of which, I still have an engine in my garage (from the Camaro/Corvette). Splayed main cap small block. It's looking for a good home! I need the space and it doesn't fit anything I own (though my wife really wants a '69 Camaro....so.....). wink.gif

Getting married, buying a house, and having a son put it on the back burner for a while, but it's coming out of mothballs soon. CMC is the largest pony car class in the Great Lakes region these days. So, I'm headed that way.

I saw your text about the engine, but I was prepping for Road America and forgot about it. Send me the info and your asking price. I'm probably not in the market unless I blow up the little 305 that could, but you never know.

QUOTE (trackbird @ May 26 2016, 05:49 AM) *
This car doesn't even have any scratches on the lower air dam, I don't think the plastic has ever drug the ground (the radiator air deflector up under the body). It's almost scary under there. ph34r.gif

That's crazy. Sounds like a museum piece, but what's the fun in that? wink.gif
trackbird
QUOTE (nape @ May 27 2016, 09:40 AM) *
That's crazy. Sounds like a museum piece, but what's the fun in that? wink.gif

That has been my dilemma. I feel like I should rub it with a diaper and preserve it. It may be the last surviving unicorn. But, I think I'll have more fun having fun with it. Everything I do can be removed and "put back" with the exception of welding in subframe connectors....and what convertible doesn't need subframe connectors?
UMI Performance
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 24 2016, 11:01 AM) *
QUOTE (UMI Performance @ May 24 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Thanks Ryan! I'm really looking forward to it. It's nice to be back in a 4th gen and I think the convertible is going to be a fun change over what I'm used to. I haven't been shopping for 4th gen parts for a while so I was pleased to see how the UMI product line has expanded since I was last in the market (I had no idea you guys had sway bars among other things).

We've been hitting the 4th gen market hard the past few years, it's been very good to us and really the vehicle we started with. Getting more into autocross and now more and more road course has really pushed us to enhance our products and develop new products. As you guys already know, a season of racing really shows you weak points on a car and what needs changed or repaired. A road course really really shows this as well, we've been hitting a few different courses each year.

We are really excited about the new coilovers, I love driving on them and really feel we have a great new product.
trackbird
QUOTE (UMI Performance @ May 27 2016, 10:35 AM) *
We've been hitting the 4th gen market hard the past few years, it's been very good to us and really the vehicle we started with. Getting more into autocross and now more and more road course has really pushed us to enhance our products and develop new products. As you guys already know, a season of racing really shows you weak points on a car and what needs changed or repaired. A road course really really shows this as well, we've been hitting a few different courses each year.

We are really excited about the new coilovers, I love driving on them and really feel we have a great new product.

I've been looking at those more and more and I'm looking forward to trying them. I like learning new things and I've done Koni's and springs in the past. I'm anxious to report on these once I get everything else done and get to the "springs/shocks and wheels" portion of the project. It looks like a pretty nice kit and it appears to be extremely "complete".
JimMueller
QUOTE (nape @ May 25 2016, 08:22 PM) *
Doubt your time capsule will need any parts, but if you need something let me know.

If you start selling parts off that NBM Camaro, I might be interested in a few items smile.gif
trackbird
The UPS man brought 3 of my 4 boxes from UMI today. I'm hoping the last one wanders in today, if not I'm sure they'll get it here soon. It's like Christmas in May!

And the parts passed their cat scan with flying colors! blink.gif
CrashTestDummy
So I'm not the only one with a home-office Supervisor! 2thumbs.gif
bubba353z
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 27 2016, 02:25 PM) *

How's my Petey doing? Been too long since I've seen him.
mitchntx
Is that the devil cat?
trackbird
QUOTE (bubba353z @ May 27 2016, 10:13 PM) *
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 27 2016, 02:25 PM) *

How's my Petey doing? Been too long since I've seen him.

He's pretty rotten, so nothing has changed. We need to catch up soon. Maybe this weekend?

QUOTE (mitchntx @ May 28 2016, 02:53 AM) *
Is that the devil cat?

Nope, that's Pete. You are friends with Midnight. I took Midnight to live with my ex. Trying to concentrate the evil in one place far away from me. wink.gif
bubba353z
Got to see the Z in person today - it is truly an outstanding looking car.

Definitely well bought!
mitchntx
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 28 2016, 08:42 AM) *
Nope, that's Pete. You are friends with Midnight. I took Midnight to live with my ex. Trying to concentrate the evil in one place far away from me. wink.gif

LOL ... I still have the Christmas card from Midnight.

Midnight and Chester the mouse were FRRAX classics.
CrashTestDummy
Chester, especially. Cats, you expect some attitude, but that mouse?!?
trackbird
QUOTE (mitchntx @ May 29 2016, 08:28 AM) *

Yea. That was one of the best threads on here. 😂😂😂
79T/A
Nice car, good mods planned. I drove a low mileage, rattle free LS1 car this weekend that has similar modifications. It was really a pleasure to drive. Went home and looked at my gutted, rod-end-everything, solid motor mount turd and shook my head. Forgot how nice a 4th gen could be, I sure as hell ruined mine.
Steve91T
QUOTE (trackbird @ May 29 2016, 12:04 PM) *
QUOTE (mitchntx @ May 29 2016, 08:28 AM) *

Yea. That was one of the best threads on here. 😂😂😂

That thread was before my time. One of you guys dug it up a few years ago and I got to read it. I've never laughed so hard. That was great.
trackbird
QUOTE (79T/A @ May 29 2016, 05:53 PM) *
Nice car, good mods planned. I drove a low mileage, rattle free LS1 car this weekend that has similar modifications. It was really a pleasure to drive. Went home and looked at my gutted, rod-end-everything, solid motor mount turd and shook my head. Forgot how nice a 4th gen could be, I sure as hell ruined mine.

My goal is to avoid spoiling the car. I really want to make it better and not worse, or that's my goal.
BumpaD_Z28
QUOTE (79T/A @ May 29 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Mine has gotten a little to "race car" lately sad.gif ... I think it is mainly the rod ended rear LCA's sad.gif clunking and rattling over EVERYTHING !

Has anyone tried a rod end at the axle side and a poly bushing on the car side ? (replace the car side with these: https://hotpart.com/product/panhard-rod-for...-poly-rod-end/) ???

~DaVe
trackbird
Good rod ends make a huge difference. The best ones I ever used were made by "FK". They were a properly lined 3 piece design (as I remember) and they were quiet and stayed quiet for a long time. Noise is what prompted me to try the roto joint PHB. I've never had much noise out of heim joints on a PHB, but this was a good excuse to try something new. wink.gif

Last night I got lots of work done. I installed the SLP "lid" and had to use a heat gun to get the MAF to fit. It seems that quality control has dropped considerably on the old 4th gen parts (and/or the molds are wearing out). They used to fit a lot better than they do now. SLP has also changed the hose that they include for 2001/2002 cars. It used to be a molded hose, now it's a straight section (that's not all that straight) and a couple 90 degree elbows and a "straight splice". If you put the straight splice in the end of the factory hose, you can trim it so that a 90 degree fitting is inline with the 90 degree fitting that exits the airbox. I'm sure this is all in the instructions that SLP has now moved online....but I didn't have a computer in the garage....and....it's a LID....I've installed about a dozen of these over the years. lol.

The B&M shifter went in as well as a new Hurst 6 speed ball (black). The black version has been discontinued by Hurst, but Summit Racing had one. So, I grabbed it. I've run that shifter ball in all of my cars and I hated to change now. The only one they still carry is the white version. If you want one, you should hurry.

The UMI strut tower brace dropped right in. It's a well made piece, it arrived packaged well and with the needed hardware and instructions. It's a strut tower brace, I've likely installed a dozen of these too, but the UMI version is very nice and uses nice thick mounting bases with slots that give plenty of adjustment without making the base too flexible (I think it was the SLP version that had really thin plates with really long slots in it that just seemed underbuilt). They included a couple UMI decals in the box. That's good thinking because guys love stickers. lol.

The skip shift delete connectors were installed. I've never had to do this. My 2002 Z28 (that I bought new) never had working skip shift. The light came on, but it never worked. Right from the showroom floor it didn't work. I have no idea why. This is actually the first car I've ever driven with a functioning skip shift....well, it used to be functioning. lol.

I added the SLP front license plate bracket. I'm guessing the factory brackets are all long gone and this car came from out of state. Ohio requires a front tag and they will ALWAYS look at the nose of a Camaro or Corvette to see if you actually have a plate on it. So, I put a plate on it. I don't love the look of the SLP bracket, but I like that it can be removed without leaving holes in the nose.

When I cleaned out the center console I found the oil change label showing 10/15 or 61k miles as the next oil change. Since the car has 58k on it, I'm guessing that makes the oil change about a year old. Since I'm not really 100% sure of that (I wasn't there), I changed it. It now has fresh synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter.

I still need to get under there and install and weld the subframe connectors on, install the PHB and change out the rest of the fluids. After a couple hours playing in the hot garage last night I decided it would be more fun driving it instead of working on it. My wife passed me as I was on the way out of the neighborhood so I went back and picked her up and we put about 50 miles on it while enjoying a perfect evening. This convertible thing might not be so bad after all. wink.gif
trackbird
I've finally driven it enough to really start to feel the difference between the T top cars and the convertible. This car is fairly flexible, going into parking lots and up angles ramps you feel it twist and squeak. Adding the STB settled down the steering wheel so it doesn't seem to move around as much over bumps. I'll finish up the chassis work soon and then we can see what kind of difference that makes. While I'm at it I should have some UMI sway bars arriving with the upgraded CNC aluminum brackets. These things look like art and I'm anxious to see them in person. I'm a sucker for finely CNC machined aluminum. And I used to break the brackets on my 3rd gens, the 4th gens never gave me much of an issue, but I'll gladly test them and report back to you guys. While I'm trying new things....(I may have to get a set of upgraded front swaybar mounts from Alan Blaine to go with them).

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.ph...products_id=465

That will leave the wheels and coil overs and I should be wrapping it up. I was going to try to kill off most of the current tires (I hate to waste good rubber, I'm cheap, what can I say?) before doing the wheels. I'll likely do the wheels and coil overs together, but I might get to the coil overs before the tires are dead. We'll see how it goes. And then I'm considering a front brake upgrade...just because. wink.gif (And I still have to talk my wife into letting me change the exhaust....lol).
trackbird
I had to hold up on the modifications until my friend got to drive it for an article. Here's the article.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a2...he-best-camaro/
BumpaD_Z28
Nice article ! ... 5th genners might be mad wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.